GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I brought these 2860-5 turbos of a member off this forum and the wastegate rod seam to be welded to the turbo housing, the rod coming from the actuator does not move at all?? is this correct? do they come like that normally? iv been told that its been done so they are on full boost all the time?? i have highlighted the welding (?) in the picture. can someone

·
Official GTR.co.uk Photographer
2,671 Posts
sounds like some one is telling you fibs because if they was welded in poition then there would be no point at all having the actuators attached .

the actuator rods can be quite stiff to move and some times the welds around the wastegate lever are not always the tidiest to look at.

and no its not normal if they realy are welded to not move

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thats what i was thinking i mite have the weld removed and take it from there.

can someone advice how to test the actuator?

·
Official GTR.co.uk Photographer
2,671 Posts
cant remember what direction it moves but grip the actuator rod quite hard put some effort in pulling it so it moves .

are you realy sure that weld has stopped the waste gate from moving ??? they have been known to get stuck some times

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
going to take it to a local turbo place tommorw have them to check over it hopely just stuck as i want these in my car asap.

·
Registered
363 Posts
just pop the wastegate rod off the arm and see if it moves...then put the rod back on. Do not grind the weld off.

actuator can be tested using a hand pump with a gauge attached.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Yup, As Red R said, thats normal...Its welded to the rod, not the casing.
Just unclip the accuator shaft, you will see the wastegate shaft will move easily without it connected.

....It aint broke, don't fix it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts