GTR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
31,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greg's R32 is making a a strange noise, which seems to be origniating from the rear turbo

he says it sounds like a vibration, and the car feels slightly more laggy, although it boosts to 1bar ok.

i suppose it could be a leaking elbow maybe, but is it possible for a blade to come off the turbo, without it shitting itself, or smoking?!?!?!

doin't get me wrong, we will get it checked proffesionally, but am curious at the mo...

mook

·
R35 Section manager
11,274 Posts
I guess alot would depend on the type of driving you do.If 90% of your driving was in heavy traffic,dont think you would tell. Hopefully as you said a gasket.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
if it's a whistling sound, like a high-pitched scream of a banshee, then it's the turbo gasket. Defo get it done; the longer you wait, the more the flange is exposed to hot temps, and then the turbo flange will warp, making remounting a bit of a pain.

I was testing my new ignition map last night, and coming on 1.2bar boost (stock turbos, at least on the outside - rebuilt for sure, internals unknown other than they being journal bearing) at redline I got a HUGE bang, like a gunshot, and white smoke came out of my tailpipe. I felt chills as I feared the worst, but as it turns out, I guess it was just a massive backfire as I hit my limiter (Bee*R set at 8K), cause the car is perfectly fine. Switched to fuel-cut limiter after that - fuel cut might be "harder" on the engine but at least it won't scare the shit out of me!

·
Registered
826 Posts
im having the above noise,i just refitted my turbos at the weekend and i heard this noise on the way to work this morning,it went off when the car warmed up.

on the way home it done the same but the noise didnt go away when it got warm.it also makes the noise when i come off boost.

could it be a gasket ?

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
out of interest, If one turbo does go down, or lose some of its power, will this make the other one over boost ? are the wastegates controlled individually or both together ? Im just wondering if its still boosting correctly because the good turbo is doing lots more work...

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
both turbos should be controlled together - two wastegates, but one solenoid, and generally, both wastegates connect into a single hose to connect to the solenoid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.