GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a 1989 r32 gtr later today or tomorrow and just had one or two questions as I am not familiar with these engines. The owner claims the oil pressure has always settled down to below 1 unit upon warm idle during his year or so of ownership and his shop said in the past it was nothing to be worried about. Below 1 maybe as low as .6 kg/cc or whatever the unit is. No real odd engine noises. Oil pressure builds with rpm up to maybe 5 or so if I remember correctly. Once or twice however under moderate boost it seemed that the oil pressure gauge would suddenly drop. I know that this isn't really a good sign but is this possibly a gauge issue? It is an aftermarket gauge.

Car has r34 turbos and other light mods, .9 or 1 bar boost, nothing internal to my knowledge. It just weird that engine still sounds healthy and performs smooth.

Thanks for any feedback, gotta get back to the seller soon. I own and work on my own cars just no experience with this one.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,878 Posts
Early RB26's (zenki?) have a narrow crank collar that drives the oil pump. This leads to common oil pressure issues. Do some searches on RB26 oil pressure and you should get plenty of information.
Total cobblers.
The oil pressure sensors slowly fall over time. They are notoriously unreliable and this fault is in no was attributed to wide or narrow oil pump drives.

Reactions: David

·
Registered
439 Posts
Early RB26's (zenki?) have a narrow crank collar that drives the oil pump. This leads to common oil pressure issues. Do some searches on RB26 oil pressure and you should get plenty of information.
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the topic. A lot of people have issues of oil pressure showing low readings or low peaks during hard acceleration/boosting. There's a whole thread about this in SAU forums and how to get around it.

Cheers,
RoB

·
Registered
243 Posts
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the topic. A lot of people have issues of oil pressure showing low readings or low peaks during hard acceleration/boosting. There's a whole thread about this in SAU forums and how to get around it.

Cheers,
RoB
I find it hard to be so emphatic about the subject without knowing what oil pump, how much oil or what oil pressure sender/gauge he's running. Let's get a little more information before jumping to caps-lock, eh?

As a side note, he said he is unfamiliar with these engines. A little extra information connected to oil pressure, even if it's not his particular issue, is not a bad thing.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I find it hard to be so emphatic about the subject without knowing what oil pump, how much oil or what oil pressure sender/gauge he's running. Let's get a little more information before jumping to caps-lock, eh?

As a side note, he said he is unfamiliar with these engines. A little extra information connected to oil pressure, even if it's not his particular issue, is not a bad thing.
Sorry, but Your post sounded just like a post from someone trying to sell their product to make everything oil related on this engine "better", which it clearly doesn't. Was just missing the link to the sales post! And in the meantime I'm really alergic to such posts, as they are literally everywhere and really annoying.

Hope my reaction is understandable :)

And the simptoms described in his post are really everything else but pump related, just as Davids post suggests (he had the same issues, as we all do but most of us don't notice it). He even was so nice and posted the link to the thread I meant :)

Cheers,
RoB

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sorry, but Your post sounded just like a post from someone trying to sell their product to make everything oil related on this engine "better", which it clearly doesn't. Was just missing the link to the sales post! And in the meantime I'm really alergic to such posts, as they are literally everywhere and really annoying.

Hope my reaction is understandable :)

And the simptoms described in his post are really everything else but pump related, just as Davids post suggests (he had the same issues, as we all do but most of us don't notice it). He even was so nice and posted the link to the thread I meant :)

Cheers,
RoB
Fair enough. My posts are generally quite literal, with nothing between the lines. That's assuming they're not sarcastic. When I see someone unfamiliar with the engine and oil pressures in the same sentence, I immediately think to mention the collar. In this case, I still don't feel we have enough information to fully diagnose, though adding more oil could fix his problem.

Many on SAU said they would see oil pressure drop while giving it the beans, in first and second (sometimes third). The OP here says his car builds oil pressure with RPM, contrary to the issues on SAU. He said it was under moderate boost that it can drop under 1 bar(?). We don't know what RPM he's referring to, so, again, more information needed.

Hopefully it's as easy as adding more oil, but I still suggest getting more information before declaring one specific suggestion will fix the issue. Additionally, toward my earlier side note, it's usually a good thing to include additional information for anyone entering the RB world, especially since oil pressure issues aren't exactly rare. "The more you know..." and all that.

·
Registered
270 Posts
fill to hump on dipstick as said. i think the poor readings on the stock gauge that are common are usually a result of the sender been slow to react and/or just playing up with age. an aftermarket sendor and gauge is definitly a helpful addition to skyline owner ship. the reading is what the sender see's and not neccesserally whats happening at the pump i think. filling to the ump should stop the gauge showing dubious readings under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Another thing you have to be wary of is that the screws holding the backplate on the oil pump can wind out over time if they're not threadlocked in position. That will cause low oil pressure as the oil leaks out and back in to the sump. Happened to the standard original oil pump on mine. Does this car have an aftermarket oil pump ? If so you would hope the screw will have been threadlocked. If it's an early standard pump....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.