GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so let's face it: we love our cars, many of us (including myself) drive them daily, but we tune our cars, and inevitably we want to compare our cars. But this raises a few questions (highlighted in the 2860-5 turbo thread).

- dynos seem to be about as accurate a yardstick as using pebbles to measure our manhood, and then comparing them online (mine is 42 pebbles?:rolleyes: )

- anyways, is horsepower really a decent measure in saying "my car is better than yours"?

- which leads me to think, the only really decent measure is a quarter mile time. But that brings into play driver ability.

- and should driving skill count? Does it matter if you've got the fastest Skyline around, if you've neither the balls nor the skill to outrun a mildly tuned Silvia? I'm inclined to say yes, although what do we say about the 60-year old punter who just took delivery of his Bugatti Veyron? Clearly, the car is a monster, but will it ever be driven in anger, or even spiritedly?

in other words, does it matter if your manhood is fifteen inches long if you can't ever get laid, or can only get your engine running once in a blue moon? I'm speaking of Skylines, of course...

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
i dont care about driving skills,i dont care about whos car is the best,i have my cars for me,only for me,i enjoy driving them,i like to take pics of them and talking to other stupid guys like me.

For me my cars are the best,but thats just for me,there are many very good cars around,that are nicer,faster,better or what ever then my cars,but i don´t own them,and im very happy with what i have.

But when things come up,that i dont like or that cant be true,i say what i think,if somebody has a problem with what i say or not,its my mind,if someone doesnt like the color of my wheels or cars,ok,but who cares.............i like them the way they are and thats what counts ;)

regards
Alex

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Yes, I agree that how 'good' a car is comes down to individual preference but there is no doubting that there are those out there who do like to compare. With this in mind then, the only comparative guide is BHP or Torque.
The whole 1/4 mile scene is really not my thing, nor I suppose is it the 'thing' of others on here so that effectively rules out a method of comparison for many. The question of driver ability is also a variable here and can greatly affect a 1/4 mile time so calls into question the validity of the resultant time.
So, in reality, the only commonly/easily used method of comparison with minimal variables is the rolling road/dynapack. These too have their issues such as temp, type of RR, operator work practice, wheel slippage etc but do have an element of repeatability especially during the dyno shootouts the mags love so much. At least here your using the same measurement device (RR/dynapack etc) and the same operator in the same environment. Only an engine dyno cell can give you the most accurate measurement of actual engine HP but obviously require engine out to do this which is not exactly convenient and cost effective coupled to the fact that not every engine builder/tuner has access to one.
I forsee BHP being the common comparison for a few years to come.
TBH, I dont give a rats whether my car is more/less powerful than yours. The only thing for me is whether I'M happy with the performance. I will also admit that I hardly ever rag the GTR (scared of something going POP!! LOL) and utilise all the available performance. Its nice to know its there though should I NEED to use it.

TT

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Remember the movie Kill Bill... You should never compare a Hattori Hanso sword to another Hattori Hanso sword. You always compare it to another type of sword.

A GTR is always better than another RX7, WRX, 2JZ *rolleyes*... cos it's GODZILLA.. got the street cred. Whether you use it or not, it's a GTR!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I reckon the best (to realistically try or achieve) measure of on road, real world performance would be along the lines of the MLR's 30-130 test, rules out almost all relative driver skill and show's far more accuratly Useable power/torque spread unlike a dyno which tends to zero in on peak bhp rather than when it's coming in the rev range or for how long, the highest power figure doesn't always win in real road situations.

·
Registered
930 Posts
but what about around a track.a top fuel car is faster than mine but i put my money on a corsa going round donny faster than the top fuel car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts