GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evenin' all

I've been running my R33 for a year now, and I've got a question about the economy I'm getting from it. I know it's not what I bought it for, but I'd be interested to compare.

I normally find that on a tank of SUL with a short daily commute I get about 12mpg. That's 140-150 miles on a tank.

So, the other day I did a long (300 mile) journey in it, making a special effort to be frugal: cruising at 70-80 on the motorway, keeping the boost to a minimum at all times. I got thirteen mpg.

My car is unmodified - I think - although the exhaust doesn't come out of a pipe so much as a tunnel, which makes me think it might be after market. Would that make a big difference?

I've heard 18-20 quoted, and the guys at Abbey seemed to think I must be thrashing it (which I really don't think I am).

How does this compare?

Cheers for any help, and thanks for a great site,

Ben

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick clarification about Abbey after reading that back to myself!

What I meant to say was that one of the guys at Abbey who I asked about this suggested (sensibly) that a reason could be heaviness with right foot. Possible, although I don't think I thrash the car at all, so I tested the theory on the long run and found the same result.

Haven't got a bad word for Abbey, they've been great :D

http://www.abbeymotorsport.co.uk

(Is that grovelling enough? ;) )

·
Registered
88 Posts
That does seem a bit low, even by Skyline standards.

I get about 18 or 19 mpg on average, and having added some go-faster bits does not seem to have made much difference either way.

I should add that I rarely do journeys less than 15 or 20 miles in the car so this probably helps a little.

I would get the fuelling looked at if I were you...

Rgds

Chris
(just up the road across the Hants/Surrey border)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Fuel

Ben,

My average is 150 miles out of a tank. If I'm in 'one of those moods' I can easily drop that substantially:D

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have a fairly standard V-spec, only got exhaust, downpipes, filters and I "Always get 300 miles out of a tank of motorway driving".
Something is definitely wrong there.
Pegleg

·
Registered
166 Posts
I usually get about 21mpg when using the car for getting to work (mix urban/counrty lanes), if i'm cruising on the motorway i get about 26-27mpg. My economy under normal driving has acually improved with the mods i've done, i used to get about 19mpg going to work and about 24mpg on the motorway.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am getting much better I think you need to get rid of the Cat as this does make the car uses more fule

I am running somthing like 350BHP with Cat Bypass into a HKS Supper Drager and Blits Intakes (will post Known BHP after Dyno Day) I am getting with out trying hard 287 miles from a full tank to bond dry! This was with some running at 120 mph and a few joyrides ME thinks that's good

What Chip do you have? if you have a Jap ECU get a UK!

The other thing to do is replace your Fule filter as this can create problems with fule flow and will have the knock on effect of using more fule!

I have just filled to Day with Supper unleaded and I have only been about town No runns 179 miles to 45 liters of fule

Hope this info is help full!

Regards

Bruce :smokin:

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I have been suffering from poor mpg. Mark (abbey) plugged in a diagnostic on the car and said….air flow meter giving a fault, both lambda sensors giving no reading and inlet (paper) gaskets leaking. He said that this would cause poor fuel consumption. Could your problem be one or more of these? Check with Abbey. Have not got car back yet so cannot say if these fixes have cured it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. Thanks all for that amazingly quick response!

So, it's as I suspected. Abbey have now been duly informed, Tony's on the case right now - the damn thing's still there being put back together after being broken into and having the dashboard ripped out :(

- Ben, trying not to think about the money he could have saved by checking this a year ago...

P

·
0 Posts
ben,

i get the same kind of figures in my r33 (basically stock apart from exhaust, intercooler and ebc). i get around 250klms to a tank town/daily driving and 300klms to a tank when mixing in some highway driving. i drive fairly sedately around town, but when giving it a bit of the right foot my mileage hardly changes at all. it seems like we both have the same problem.

i've mentioned it to my mechanic in the past and he straight out told me that you dont buy a gtr and expect economy, he had a quick check and didnt find anything visibly wrong (afm and o2 sensor readings were fine), so i took his advice and didnt investigate it any further.

i would be interested to know what your mechanic finds the problem to be, it may help in pinpointing what is wrong with mine.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Economy

Hi Ben,

I have had my 33 for exactly a year. It runs somewhere between 350 & 400 bhp. I'm that anal that I have recorded every drop of fuel, (and cost), I have put in it. I always use the highest octane I can get. In a year of fast road driving with the occasional red mist descending, 5 track days, 2 dream ride days, ripping it off the line now and then, I have still managed 21.8 mpg. Seems something's amiss with your set up.
I know this is no consolation but at least it perhaps gives an indication of what you should be getting.

Vincenzo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well well. It's very interesting to read everybody's feedback - it would seem that it's just me and GTR077 with the pathetic economy.

So, I asked Abbey, and they went over the thing with a fine-toothed comb. Nothing to be found. He's got no idea why it's so bad. Even he says that I should be getting 18, or thereabouts.

Guess there's not much I can do now. As it happens I'm selling the car anyway, hopefully this week, so it's probably too late to worry about it.

(House purchase forces sale - I'm totally gutted - but... 50K miles, unmodified, dark grey car, £17K - make me an offer!)

Anyway, she's back on the road now, so 13mpg or no 13mpg, I'm going to make the most of her until we have to part ways... :(

Thanks for all the help,

Ben

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Currently I'm getting 18/19 miles to the gallon. That's running Super Unleaded with no additive. The only modifications are improved breathing and a complete exhaust replacement with Cat bypass. Considering I live in central(ish) London I don't think that's that bad.

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a slightly modded R32 which only really gets used on long runs, my best is just under 600 km from a tankful and I can average 27 mpg driving fairly gently

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
power and economy

I got 226 mls to a tankfull last sunday
Gary
GTART.CO.UK:)

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Just started using the additive "NF" and it has made an improvement. As well as running a lot smoother and having less of a sore head in the morning (the car not me) it also seems to be getting more (s)miles per gallon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A quick update...

This week my battery gave up the ghost, leaving me at the mercy of my local Lex Autocentre (in front of whom I felt like a proper w**k*r). I've just had it replaced yesterday at Abbey, and talking to Tony, he thinks that it could possibly be the cause of my problems. If the battery voltage is low, the fuel management switches to emergency 'limp-home' mode which could well ramp up the fuel consumption.

It's not certain, but I've got a long motorway drive tonight so I can test the theory... (fingers and everything else crossed)

So, those of you having the same problem - it might be worth checking the voltage on your battery.

(And of course, if I do start getting 20+ mpg, I'm not going to be quite so quick to sell it... :D )

The other thing is that I've started using Optimax on the principle that 98RON is better than 97. I read some of the 'horror' stories about it on the scooby site, but I don't trouble the 7000+ rev range so I'm going to give it a go. If anyone knows of any just impediment to GTRs using it, please speak now!

Ben

·
Registered
178 Posts
6.75MPG average over one tank full - Bentwaters airfield day, including 16 very gentle road miles - all on shell optimax with no ill effect. :) :) :)

BIG FUN - Bookatrack a really good circuit for GT-R 's and really quite tollerant of people fully exploiting and exceeding the performance envelope of their cars ;) and nowt to hit but 'ickle orange cones!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh well

So much for the battery idea.

Just come back from my weekend jaunt to and from Cambridge, basically clear M25/M11 on the way up, a 20 mile round trip on 60mph roads on Sunday, and then a slow return on the motorways.

Although initial signs were good, hitting the quarter-tank mark at about 75 miles (rather than the usual 30-40), the super-fickle fuel gauge started its little dance (it moves up and down almost as much as the speedo) and I only managed 175 miles from 45 litres = 14mpg.

Back to the drawing board (and Top Marques :( )

Frustratedly,
Ben

·
Registered
558 Posts
Fuel Consumption

Ben,
350 bhp GTR 32 on holiday to Scotland in summer started at an average of 21MPG and once there after very fast run up averaged 23 MPG for the remaining two weeks of North west mountain roads at very illegal speeds with no intervention from the "Polis".Maybe a good thrash to Scotland will cure the problem! or make you broke!
regards Ross

1 - 20 of 29 Posts