GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, had a number of problems (mainly small) ever since i swapped the engines over at the start of this year.....

High Idle, started at 1100, been creeping up ever since and sometimes when warm sits at 2k!
Intermittent 4WD and A-LSD lamps coming on

The idle problem has been getting slightly worse and worse.....
It has recently intermittently started to hunt at idle at about 2hz between 1000 and 1600 rpm
It has also started to hesitate almost like it's hugely over fuelling, then in comes the power but then starts to behave like i've blown a boost hose off!

Consult tells me the voltage at idle was ok, last time i checked (some time ago), but the throttle open switch isn't switching to closed when i let it idle. (even when i remove the throttle cable - so that's not holding it open)

I've come to the conclusion that i need a new Throttle Position Sensor as this seems to be a common factor with these problems.

I had a fiddle with it earlier today....
Engine running, slowly rotated it CCW all the way to end of travel and nothing happened to the revs at all.....so I blipped the throttle linkage and the revs (eventually) settled higher than before. I then rotated it CW and again nothing until i blip the linkage. Then the idle is hunting like a b'stard (3hz).....Rotated it back again but i can only generate a 1500rpm smooth idle.

Like JasonO, i found that i have a slight vacuum leak through the idle speed screw, but plugging that up doesn't help to lower the revs. No other leaks on the inlet.

Essentially i'm pretty convinced that the TPS has been failing intermittently over a period of time and it's no longer working as it should.....
The main reason i'm writing this is to check if the revs should change the instant you rotate the TPS and not after you've activated the throttle.

Can anybody confirm this?

Need to get all these small problems flushed out so i can go and get the Power FC mapped.

Cheers, Ian

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update to this.....

So this morning i've had the multimeter on the TPS and i couldn't seem to generate the resistance that the service manual tells me it should.
hmm.
so next up i span the TPS all the way CCW and restarted the car...NO 4WD or A-LSD lights this time! span it back again CW, restarted, lights back on.

So again with the TPS set fully CCW i went for a spin.....looks like all the problems are fixed other than the high idle and occasional hunt at idle (now much less than 1 Hz)

So, unless anyone can put their finger on anything else, it's off to the dealer on monday again for a TPS.

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
715 Posts
check it with consult or datascan, you should get a closed throttle position switch on/off signal.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what i meant, checked this a while back and it wasn't switching.
I opened it up y'day evening and noticed that the switch wasn;t making contact, so i gave it a tweek. Looks like the potentiometer tracks have failed tho as it still isn't right, although the lights have now gone out.
Cheers, Ian

·
Registered
353 Posts
Did the new TPS sensor fix your problem?I just had my new engine installed and have high idle now @ 1400 rpm's.I definately have to check for air leaks.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after 8 weeks of promises from my nissan dealer that the part will be here before xmas, they have finally come clean and admitted they forgot to order from Japan......so i either have to wait again or source one elsewhere.....I guess a call to the recommended companies early Jan is the best option........

Rubbish Nissan dealer network......there is a gap in the market for a main dealer in the UK who actually cares and is knowledgable and won't rip you off, especially as infiniti brand is on the way......No wonder that Nissan Japan aren't entrusting Infinti to existing Nissan dealers, cos they'll mess it up big-time!

Anyone got a new R33 GTR TPS?

Thanks, Ian

3,665 Posts
Ian C, have you a short memory..........You should know we more parts in stock than Nissan UK have for the Skyline cars, I am sure we will have a TPS in stock on the shelf ready to be shipped after the holiday period.

If you mail ****@abbeymotorsport.co.uk and CC it to me as well [email protected]. Abbey will sort it out for you.

Why dont you drop the car to us we can sort it all out, wont be that expensive either in the long run.

Hope you had a good xmas and a awesome new year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts