GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have own a Porsche 996GT2 for awhile and recently considering a GTR R34. I realized that the R34 are the holy grails of import tuners. But I have not personally seen how they perform on the road race track in person. I want to know how are these cars compare to the 996GT2 in terms of reliable performance on the street/track if tuned to the same hp? How do you compare their handlings?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
You don't..........different cars.

You could ask 100 people who had driven both which was better and you'd get different answers for different reasons.

I've driven both and the GT2 is by far the better handling car in most circumstances........but that doesn't mean I'd have one over my GTR.....

Just depends on what you want. Only way you can tell is drive one and go from there............different beasts.....

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I know of two people on here that have now got 996GT2's after selling their R34's
It's a Strange situation to be in for you as most will own a GTR first & then move on to a Porsche, i really don't know what you will be in for, better or worse? Good luck what ever you decide?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I think you're thinking of the GT3 Sky 1t, that's non turbo and what some on here have moved to, well GT3 RS's to be precise.

GT2 is 2 wheel drive, turbo........nearly 500HP (485 odd)

But my original comments would still stand regardless of model. You've gotta drive a GTR to know if you prefer it.

Certainly more usable if you've got a family........no space in the back of a GT3 RS or a GT2 worth talking about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am by not mean replacing my Gt2 w/ the R34 but only consider adding it to my stable. As stated above, the comparison was to be between a modded R34 w/ similar 500-600hp. The Gt3 is an NA car / different power delivery and tuneabilities thus is not as good of a comparison as the GT2.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I know 2 people who went from big power Skylines, 1 had an R34 and the other an R33 to a 996 GT2. Both GT2s have been modified and both owners say that the Porsche has been the nicer/more reliable/better car to own. Thats not to say they didn't like the Skyline, it just comes across as a different type of beast:) But as you will be adding to your stable then it's not an issue, get one and enjoy it:D

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Facts,, Porche is the better car built quality power handeling and even reliability You cant compare it to the GTR34 in Standard mod cuz the 34 Sucks as standard and can not go the distance of the porche on the race track

After fitting a few bits n bobs on my GTR34 I can wave bye bye to any porsche owner/driver on the track GT2's 3's Turbos they all look the same from the GTR's rear view mirror.

Porshce has always been a better daily driver but you see them more than ants anywhere in the world fleas they win races by their sheer numbers.

Any Porsche owner or driver automaticaly becomes my nemesis

·
6,821 Posts
I think you're thinking of the GT3 Sky 1t, that's non turbo and what some on here have moved to, well GT3 RS's to be precise.

GT2 is 2 wheel drive, turbo........nearly 500HP (485 odd)

But my original comments would still stand regardless of model. You've gotta drive a GTR to know if you prefer it.

Certainly more usable if you've got a family........no space in the back of a GT3 RS or a GT2 worth talking about.
Canman, I never drove the GT2, but how can a RWD car have better handling then a GTR-AWD+Hicas? as this precise combination was invented in the purpose of allowing a car superior in and out speed in cornering and stability?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Canman, I never drove the GT2, but how can a RWD car have better handling then a GTR-AWD+Hicas? as this precise combination was invented in the purpose of allowing a car superior in and out speed in cornering and stability?
Outright grip is not the same as handling.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I actually agree thats it not particularly relevent to compare the cars, as they are designed for different purposes at different price levels. The R34 is half the price of a GT2 and has 4 seats, 4wd, a large boot and is front engined, so could hardly be more different from a GT2.

The GT2 is built for track and built for speed, it will do trackdays all day long as one of the fastest stock cars there (excluding radicals or Carrera GTs) without issue and drive at max speed for a full tank of fuel without an issue (Porsche tested them at Nardo for this to ensure all the oil temps are ok for two full fuel tanks use straight at 196mph). You can also do all this with a full factory warranty that can be extended for up 9 years at only £700 per year. It is supreme engineering.

The GTR on the other hand is a far more practical proposition, able to seat 4 adults and luggage in comfort, with more gadgets. They are also very reliable if kept standard (slow) or mildly tuned to around 500bhp, which is relatively cheap and easy. They will go way beyond 500bhp, but reliability and drivability quickly suffers. On track they are too heavy, the suspension and brakes are not designed for trackwork and the cars needs a lot of work to become a good trackcar, which is why you see few on circuits. In addition, the engine is not dry-sumped, so there have always been occasional problems on all GTRs of oil stavation leading to spun-bearings when used on track.

If you can have both then get both, they are both fun, in very different ways and will end up having very different uses. Be aware though that all the UK spec R34s were built in 1999, so are now 7 years old. Be careful when buying as all are without warranty, most have been modded now with varying degrees of success both here and abroad, so make sure you buy a good car with the advice of a good tuner if buying a tuned one.

As for my experience, I had R32, R33 and R34s from 500-1000bhp and now drive a Ruf GT2 with 630bhp. I do still occasionally miss the R34 though. If I did it again I would buy a mint standard R34 and fit an OS Giken 3.0 engine and run about 550-600bhp on small turbos for a good standard road car, I would not bother taking it on track if I had a GT2.

Guy

·
Registered
191 Posts
The beauty of a GTR is that they are probably the most tunable cars on the planet.

A stock GTR is relatively a blank canvas, leaving the owner with a large choice of upgrades and customization options to suit his desires.

Fit the right combination of parts, and have it tuned by a competent tuner, and a GTR can hang with them all..

My $.02

·
Registered
59 Posts
Short answer: NO
Good to see you are adding to the collection and not replacing the GT2 with a Nissan.
Properly tuned and built to, say, 550-600hp a GT-R will be much fun, and faster than factory standard GT2, not to mention roomier and more functional. More enjoyable? Well, that depends on the person.
Just do it!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I had one of them GOLD letter day things not RED, 8 Laps in a Lamborghini Gallardo and mercialeigo both have more power then my 34 but I still prefer my skyline..... :runaway:

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Porsches are just built in a way the Japanese dont understand.

There is pretty much no common ground between any "GT" Porsche and a GTR other than the letters themselves and as Guy has said they do everything differently from a defferent starting point, so there is no comparison.

I miss my 34 really badly, and the only reason I went down the path of evil is that I cant afford to run a 34 again in the way I would want for fear of breakages and the costs involved. The GT3 is a fraction of the yearly costs the Skyline was.

If you can have both then do it, but theres no point asking for whether you will like it or not, if you have the money then I cant see why you would come on here to ask questions you are easily going to find the answers to in a couple of days. Take your money, visit a couple of dealers and see what the different cars are like. End of question !!!

:D :D :D

J.

·
6,821 Posts
Porsches are just built in a way the Japanese dont understand.
:blahblah:
Or maybe there were nearly no performance cars in japan that cost more then 60000$, because the average japanese thinks about what he really needs on the every day streets in japan, and therefore the manufactures are in first place listening to their own consumers and japanese spirit . . . .
If you want a track car, build it yourself, the aftermarket is the best , the cheapest and biggest in the world . . .and many tracks to live your passion can be found every where . . . . .

The rest of the world can just be happy that the japanese have a relax and balanced sense of life and imposed themselves to be moderated in every thing they're producing.
With out a problem they could have produced unusefull supercars, no-280HP gentleman agreement, 600HP engines, 1m flat rockets, opulent luxury in non-luxury car sengements ex . . . .

That's the main difference between japan and the west---Porsche and the Nissan . . . .:)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Well then Guy basically said it all and goes along with what I have pointed out. Porches DNA is genetically superior Owning a Skyline I am very biased towards them, and should think they are invincible, but when that Porsche over takes me or runs an extra 5 laps because I had to slow down for the temps to cool off I go back to my garage find the problem and solve it.

Without Porsche my car would not be what it is today, and I have to admit my lead in its current position has been getting slimmer due to the newer Porsche arrivals.

and my quote

1 - 20 of 133 Posts