GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Haven't found one yet. Everything is pretty straight forward except for the bottom manifold bolts. There is a good pic on how to get the ratchet in there to get those nuts off

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/64342-changing-turbos-manifold-bolts.html

And the tip about taping the UV joint a little to keep it from flopping around: PRICELESS. I use these all the time and never though of that.

As said on that thread is it actually is easier to take off the rear one first, the coolant and oil lines running under the turbo are attached to the bracket in a couple spots so make sure to pull them out before you start yanking on the turbo, you don't want a bent line.

Plan on a couple of days if it is your first time. As with anything the first time is the hardest. Took me almost 3 days to do a swap, only because I'm a goof sometimes and don't think things through. 2nd time took about 7 hours to remove and replace, it's all a puzzle and as soon as you know how it all fits together and in what order it is really easy.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
I agree, some of our more spanner handy brethren (I include myself in that category being an ex-mechanic) should make a point of logging and possibly photographing the jobs that they do and post them in a dedicated section as they do in Skylinesdownunder IIRC. I intend to do exactly this. Unfortunately until around this time next year I am hampered by the fact that I do not have my super-dooper tool kit with me nor the necessary space outside my current property to do this.
I truly believe that such an addition to the forum would be a MASSIVE bonus to the community as a whole as I'm sure there are those who are reasonably competent and wish to have a go themselves but lack the courage or proper instructions on how to do certain jobs.

TT

·
Administrator
31,749 Posts
Turbo changing instructions

1.) phone tuner, book in car

2.) drive car to tuners

3.) wait a day or two

4.) pick up car and hand over cash

job done

mook

·
Registered
832 Posts
Good one Mook.....:chuckle:
Seriously...turbo removal is the mother of all evils...
Been there, done that, never want to again. My advice is to take your time and take lots of pics. Bag and label all the parts you remove so you don't end up with hmmmmm where did this come from ???
Along the journey, when you get stumped, drop a line on here and dozens of guys will give you advice. They did for me !!!!
There are many ways to approach the job, unfortunately none are a piece of cake....

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got them off with a lot of help from a friend of mine, just got to get the new ones on now.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I agree, some of our more spanner handy brethren (I include myself in that category being an ex-mechanic) should make a point of logging and possibly photographing the jobs that they do and post them in a dedicated section as they do in Skylinesdownunder IIRC. I intend to do exactly this. Unfortunately until around this time next year I am hampered by the fact that I do not have my super-dooper tool kit with me nor the necessary space outside my current property to do this.
I truly believe that such an addition to the forum would be a MASSIVE bonus to the community as a whole as I'm sure there are those who are reasonably competent and wish to have a go themselves but lack the courage or proper instructions on how to do certain jobs.

TT
that is a bloody good idea. i like to do as much as i can on my own cars and as the old man has a garage i have access to ramps tools etc:clap: :clap:. ill usually try most things but some guides that you could look up would be particularly helpful.
good call tt

·
Registered
826 Posts
Here are a few pics of when i done mine...

Anyone else have any ?

maybe we could add them together and come up with something ?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Please don't forget to rub down and paint the inside of that fenderwell, now that you have access...seeing those chipped up strut suppports makes me want to cry...especially with carbon goodies under the hood...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
My step by step guide would have included : Shout, scream, cry, spit dummy out, throw tools, threaten to burn the car! And finally apply plasters to sore hands! LOL

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
My step by step guide would have included : Shout, scream, cry, spit dummy out, throw tools, threaten to burn the car! And finally apply plasters to sore hands! LOL
Ahhhh reminds me of my old mini days lol

·
Administrator
31,749 Posts
tubbies will be here next week dude

you gonna have a crack at it? I'll be glad to make tea and take photo's ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just did this the other day...again...and I forgot to bring my camera to the shop. Sorry.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did mine and took a couple of pics, they dont really show to much but could be of some help, just got to work out how to put them up now!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Turbos

If anyone who regrets not taking pics when they changed their turbos then you can do mine and i will take pics to help you out--im very kind like that...:clap:

·
Administrator
31,749 Posts
Minifreak is doing his soon, I'll endeavour to intend to, then forget to take pics ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts