GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As title does anyone know if this is a nismo solid shifter??? As it says it's oem item but the oem one is a silver solid steel colour, and as far as I know the only shifter to look like this one is the nismo one? Just wondering if anyone can give me a soild answer?
Thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
Would make my day if thats true. I have one or two that looks like that.
But I strongly doubt it. I have seen stock shifters up for sale in black.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would make my day if thats true. I have one or two that looks like that.
But I strongly doubt it. I have seen stock shifters up for sale in black.
I'm actually after the oem standard one to be honest so I'm hoping it is the standard one, as not after a short shifter or nismo shifter, but I can't tell if this is standard or nismo as on RHD the standard ones are silver and the only black is the nismo make

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I believe that is the Nismo solid shifter (not as short a throw as the Nismo short shifter) - my old OEM shifter was silver and the Nismo solid shifter I fitted was black.

I might still have the OEM one, I can't look until the weekend as I'm on night shift now, but I'll let you know if I still have it. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe that is the Nismo solid shifter (not as short a throw as the Nismo short shifter) - my old OEM shifter was silver and the Nismo solid shifter I fitted was black.

I might still have the OEM one, I can't look until the weekend as I'm on night shift now, but I'll let you know if I still have it. :)
That is my thoughts too, but wouldn't want to buy it and find out it isn't, and plus I'd rather the factory one anyway.

That would be awesome if you could have a look for me and let me know if you still have it, I'd have that in a shot :), Thanks bud (y)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm actually after the oem standard one to be honest so I'm hoping it is the standard one, as not after a short shifter or nismo shifter, but I can't tell if this is standard or nismo as on RHD the standard ones are silver and the only black is the nismo make

I've got a brand new oem shifter on the way which cost me just over £40... Why buy second hand? Unless it's cheaper....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I've got a brand new oem shifter on the way which cost me just over £40... Why buy second hand? Unless it's cheaper....
Where did you buy a oem one at the price from? I could only see a oem one at £34 on RHD Japan all the rest are £80-90+ delivered.

I don't want second hand really after new but as mentioned the prices I found where ridiculous

·
Registered
270 Posts
Where did you buy a oem one at the price from? I could only see a oem one at £34 on RHD Japan all the rest are £80-90+ delivered.

I don't want second hand really after new but as mentioned the prices I found where ridiculous
RB motorsport, it should arrive Tomorrow/Friday I'll get some pics up if you can wait that long.

I was gonna get the solid shifter to replace my short shifter but decided on the oem after a chat with Rod @RB. Plus the price I thought why not.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RB motorsport, it should arrive Tomorrow/Friday I'll get some pics up if you can wait that long.

I was gonna get the solid shifter to replace my short shifter but decided on the oem after a chat with Rod @RB. Plus the price I thought why not.
Thanks for telling me about them :) as oddly enough I have never heard of them nor used them for anything before, how do you order through them as I was gonna drop them a message on FB does he keep the shifters in stock or is it ordered in?

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
I’ve only ever seen black shifters in R32. The large tapered bit is rubber bonded to the inner shaft that interfaces to the shift mechanism. The rubber provides a bit of damping to the shift. The Nismo one just has a stiffer rubber compound. You can achieve similar effect by filling the gap between the two parts with polyurethane or hard rubber.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks for telling me about them :) as oddly enough I have never heard of them nor used them for anything before, how do you order through them as I was gonna drop them a message on FB does he keep the shifters in stock or is it ordered in?
No worries, I thought everyone knew them tbh. They are on here but I just usually call or email. I'm not sure if they have any in stock.

Difference is 7.5mm shorter and reinforced rubber from what I've read. Ohhh and the price!

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why standard out of interest, that seems to be the oposite of what people normally do :)

Because cheap chinese quick shift kits and quick shift kits in general that people fit to get "faster shifts" aren't good for your gearbox synchros most of them in fact all don't have enough throw in the lever to allow the synchros enough time to engage correctly in the rpm ranges especially at high rpm speeds and causes wear to the synchros quicker and gives you that crunch feeling/sound through the lever and over time just wears them out completely and will make shifting harder and eventually crunch pretty much all the time. Going back to oem or staying oem will make your synchros thank you and wear the way they were supposed to over many many miles of use and due to old age.

I'm sure some people don't have any issues and are lucky or just treat the shifts and kit properly but in reality unless it's a track car I don't think the quick shift kits are worth the money and wear on the synchros for what it'll save you in shift times. Having said that it's each to their own 🤷‍♀️

I'm going back to oem shifter as my current quick shifter (fitted back in Japan) causes me shift crunch in high rpm 4th to 5th it might be too late for my synchros now but I'm going back to oem to help save whatever is left or my GTR gearbox.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts