GTR Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Plus if you read the Nismo solid shift kit description even on their packaging and site it says it will not change the throw of the gear lever and won't affect gearbox synchros that's Nissan themselves basically saying don't fit shift kit's, and plus unless it's a nismo one only :LOL:

With the shift kit my GTR has from the day I bought the car it seemed the travel length of the gear lever from 4th to 5th seemed to short like I had a few mm to short in the lever and was causing it to not engage as well as it should (never at the time did it crunch till a few months afterwards) I thought it must have a shift kit and obviously,,,,,, it does

Premium Member
I agree to a point, the Nismo solid shifter (note: not Nismo short shifter) definitely reduces the throw. It is only by around 10%, but the OEM is like changing gear in a bus! My car used to have a Tomei short shifter (around 30%) and I did end up with a notchy 3rd to 4th after an overly zealous shift up. It definitely felt worse with the Tomei, but once I went back to OEM it felt a lot smoother, still not right, but better.

I had my gearbox refreshed anyway as part of my ongoing restoration, and I swapped to a Nismo solid shifter as a great compromise. It isn't as short as a C's or Tomei, yet is a lot more natural feeling than OEM. I'll still look for my old one tomorrow, I can definitely recommend the Nismo solid shifter though, see how you feel after trying the OEM type. 馃槉

Premium Member
I've been through a couple of boxes of parts, but I can't find the OEM shifter. I'm convinced I haven't chucked it out, so I'll have another look tomorrow when I can move the car out of the garage (and it isn't blowing a gale and hammering with rain! 馃槼) and have another look. 馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
I agree to a point, the Nismo solid shifter (note: not Nismo short shifter) definitely reduces the throw. It is only by around 10%, but the OEM is like changing gear in a bus! My car used to have a Tomei short shifter (around 30%) and I did end up with a notchy 3rd to 4th after an overly zealous shift up. It definitely felt worse with the Tomei, but once I went back to OEM it felt a lot smoother, still not right, but better.

I had my gearbox refreshed anyway as part of my ongoing restoration, and I swapped to a Nismo solid shifter as a great compromise. It isn't as short as a C's or Tomei, yet is a lot more natural feeling than OEM. I'll still look for my old one tomorrow, I can definitely recommend the Nismo solid shifter though, see how you feel after trying the OEM type. 馃槉
I haven't felt the oem shifter on the GTR yet so can't comment if it's like shifting a bus haha. But for me I just want to go back to oem as I'm convinced it's the quick shift kit that the car currently has that has caused the issue, I know it won't fix anything going back to oem but for me I'll feel better knowing I'm not helping the damage continue on anymore. I was however going to go for a nismo solid shifter as you mentioned, but for now want to try the oem one to see if it helps, and maybe in the future go to the nismo lever :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
I've been through a couple of boxes of parts, but I can't find the OEM shifter. I'm convinced I haven't chucked it out, so I'll have another look tomorrow when I can move the car out of the garage (and it isn't blowing a gale and hammering with rain! 馃槼) and have another look. 馃槉
Ah no worries bud thatnks for looking anyway :) I don't blame you not wanting to spend too much time outside looking as I must admit the weather put me off going out to the barn to work on my car too, it's just so horrible out there.

Premium Member
I've pulled everything out of the garage and gone through all my parts boxes, no joy. :( Really sorry, I was convinced I still had it as I don't throw bits away! I'll try the shed tomorrow, but it isn't looking good! 馃槱

Registered
[/QUOTE]

This was my plan, get the oem for 拢40 see how it feels then try the solid shifter if I wasn't happy. Did you swap the plastic bush for a GKTECH solid metal bush?

Premium Member
I did Deano, PITA to fit it though! Lol I can't remember if I fit it on the solid shifter or not, doubtful I got rid of it as the postage from Oz was more than the bushing! 馃槼

Registered
Tell me about it! I used some scotch brite just to take a smidge off. Eventually it slide down like a glove! Yeah I think I paid n over inflated price to cover the previous shipping cost as I sourced a UK one. Now I just need to find the snap ring & C clip....

21 - 29 of 29 Posts