GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question requiring your thoughts.

Had my car for six months now and as eveyone else cant find a fault, I love it, but out of curiosity I was having it serviced and the cam belt replaced, when I thought I would get some figures on a part ex against a BB34 GTR Vspec.

All i will say that in the six months I have had my car and the only thing that has changed is a few more miles and an added Sat nav system, they wanted to knock 7k of the price I paid for it from them.

Now I know I aint the most knowledgable about these things but that to me seems like a bit much or am I just out of date with these things?????

Your thoughts would be appreciated please guys n girls

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Thing is the same I guess whatever type of car you get. If you want to part ex it back to the garage, they will never give you the price you want....as always, its better to sell it on privately...

·
Registered
477 Posts
blimey, tigger snuck in the reply iwas working on while i was typing it...

i always find waving cash at them makes garages far more amenable and you will tend to get a better price privately for your car anyway

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: How can we answer you....

PeterE said:
Need more info, what did you pay in the first place, what spec the car is, what year, mileage now and then, etc.
Dont take this the wrong way but year, mileage, etc is not the point really, like I said the mileage has gone up a bit, nothing too severe. The point is that in six months would you expect to lose 7k on a 1997/8 UK R33 Vspec within six months from the very people you bought it from?

Tigger

I agree when I offered them some cash I was amazed at how low the could then sort the finance. But either way I would expect them to offer a little more value to the car since they are going to take me eyes out on the finance anyway to the tune of around 15k.

I reckon private is best but It was just for ease until I realised just what they would re sell it for

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Re: Re: How can we answer you....

CJ68 said:
Dont take this the wrong way but year, mileage, etc is not the point really, like I said the mileage has gone up a bit, nothing too severe. The point is that in six months would you expect to lose 7k on a 1997/8 UK R33 Vspec within six months from the very people you bought it from?
Chris,

Me take something the wrong way... :eek:

No you wouldn't expect to lose that much but all I was getting at is that we all know what the current going rates are for GT-Rs. Don't take this the wrong way :p and I'm not saying that you did but IF you paid over the top for the car in the first place, this would reflect in what you're being offered for it now whether you sell it privately or to a dealer. Go on, spill the beans... :)

Peter.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I think part of the problem with the Skyline's and the motor trade in general is that they are not easy to sell quickly (often see the same car advertised for a while, takes and enthusiastic buyer etc etc), as such the dealers will always look for a decent margain as they either have to sell cheaply for a quick sale or potentially hold on to the car (while it is depreciating) until the right buyer is found. I think that there is also distrust amoungst unknowledgeable dealers about skylines (being Japanese, having big bills, anything potentially modified etc)...

Still I'll bet if they've offered £7k less than you paid you could probably resell it privately for £3-4k more. Also I guess it depends how much margin they've got in the new car too! Might be worth trying to see if Shin or someone can sell it on your behalf...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK OK

I bought it from Middlehurst, v good condition 33k on the clock, it was up for 25k I put 6k down, no part ex, they knocked a grand off, spent a grand on the sat nav and put the rest through their finance.

Its now got 46k on the clock and a new cam belt as part of the last service. Still mint in marine blue full Middlehurst service history. Basically its spot on, not a single problem.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Chris,

I would think that you should get at least £20k for it privately. Trouble is, you no doubt know that you paid top dollar for it to start with being that it came from MM. £17k is a touch insulting isn't it. Mind you, that's car dealers for you.

Peter.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
hmmmm, all I can say is that I wont put a car in part ex as I know with a little bit of time I will make money on selling it privately. I would rather a little hassle and make some money than hand over my pride n joy to a garage just so I dont have to get out of my chair and do a bit of selling......CJ, get off your bum mate...he he

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tigger said:
hmmmm, all I can say is that I wont put a car in part ex as I know with a little bit of time I will make money on selling it privately. I would rather a little hassle and make some money than hand over my pride n joy to a garage just so I dont have to get out of my chair and do a bit of selling......CJ, get off your bum mate...he he
Alright you!! Look I love me motor, I dont want to get off my arse and sell it, and by the way I could you know It is only a slim arse at that, I just thought that agianst a 34 that had higher mileage I could of got a better valuation from MM as they are supposed to be one of the best and honest around.

Ill keep me 33 cos it has one arse worth gettin out of me chair for.

:D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Too right, the 33 is the better looking in my opinion but I think you were right about me and me arse, I like the 34 interior looks and feels more comfortable, with more twiddly bits.

I think thats the technical term

Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts