GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys I'm thinking of changing my tyres soon on my MY11 and I spoke to one supplier today who said that if I were to change from run flats to MPSS's that's this would invalidate my insurance as gtr's aren't covered if there ain't got run flats on. I spoke to him about wanting the the 275/35/20 & 305/30/20 combo and he said this is not safe for the car and that this would knacker the diffs. I challenged him to the best of my knowledge by telling him that this combo is used by loads of gtr owners and it's also recommend by Litchfields. So can you guys please clear this matter for me please . and also who's the cheapest supplier

·
Registered
875 Posts
Find someone else to fit what you want, I've had loads of problems like this before, kwikfit wouldn't fit non run flats to my z4 until I signed a disclaimer saying I wouldn't sue them if I span off into a hedge backwards.

Every-time I order MPSS from blackcircles they call me up and tell me I've ordered the wrong tyre and don't recommend fitting non run flats.

I also couldn't get my local garage to do a square setup for me and had to go with the normal size as I needed them quickly.

I called Litchfield up to check I was in the right and they confirmed to me the size I wanted would be fine.

I also find a lot of local tyre fitters to be a bit know it all and they don't like to be corrected so they say BS like this.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I would inform your insurer to be on the safe side. I think some are fussier than others.

As for sizes I would take Litchfields word for it over some numpty at kwikfit.

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
Cheapest try tyreleader

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Re the insurance, I phoned my company last year when I was thinking of going to MPSS and they said using non run-flats wouldn't be a problem but they like to be informed to avoid "surprises".

I send a new mods list to my insurer every year and to cover myself I've put the MPSS on the list.

I would phone them and ask, different companies may have different attitudes. A friend of mine who has a newish BMW told me his insurance firm had forced him to keep using run-flats because that's what was recommended by BMW.

Re the other negative comments, here's one for you. My 4x4 I use for work had a whine coming from the rear prop area, I took it to a garage where I bought it from and get it serviced.

The owner came out and said "we've seen this on a few of these, its caused by fitting different makes and sizes of tyres causing wear" and he recommended I replaced all 4 tyres (even tho the ones on the car were only half worn) and it would solve the problem!!!!

When I pointed out to him that all the tyres were the same make and size he said - just because it says they are the same size it doesn't mean they are the same size........ WTF

I asked him - In that case how can you guarantee that the new tyres would all be the same size........

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tyreleader way to expensive, just checked and so far camskill still coming in cheapest

·
Registered
522 Posts
Many people have been using the 275/305 mpss myself included for ages now on all levels of tuned cars and all kinds of use without any safety issues or mechanical issues to the car.

Regarding your insurance,all are different so it would do no harm to check beforehand.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would phone them and ask, different companies may have different attitudes. A friend of mine who has a newish BMW told me his insurance firm had forced him to keep using run-flats because that's what was recommended by BMW.

Re the other negative comments, here's one for you. My 4x4 I use for work had a whine coming from the rear prop area, I took it to a garage where I bought it from and get it serviced.

The owner came out and said "we've seen this on a few of these, its caused by fitting different makes and sizes of tyres causing wear" and he recommended I replaced all 4 tyres (even tho the ones on the car were only half worn) and it would solve the problem!!!!

I asked him - In that case how can you guarantee that the new tyres would all be the same size........
When I worked in a main dealer I serviced an x3 for resale and I noticed that it had diff whines and knocks and in general sounded like the diffs were destroyed and u couldn't drive it due the diffs locking when turning and BMW said it needed a certain type of tyre fitted even though like yours the tyres were nearly new but were differant makes.
We fitted 4 new tyres as per bmws recommendations and every knock and bang disappeared instantly so that guy was correct but said it to you in the worst way buddy.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't see Litchfields recommending them if they hadn't tested and trialled them out for suitability I suppose

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I think there's enough of us running the larger size MPSS for sufficient miles now to be able to say they're fine. I'm also extremely impressed with the wear level on the MPSS, I'm stage 4.25 and I've done over 10k and there's still plenty left on them, that's the longest a set of tyres as ever lasted me! I expected the GTR to eat tyres ever couple of months!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Mate when I swapped to non run flats I called the insurers who just made a note. Obviously I asked for a ref number just in case. Makes no difference otherwise fella. Lots of People swap. Best practice to tell your insurers about anything you change.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Mate when I swapped to non run flats I called the insurers who just made a note. Obviously I asked for a ref number just in case. Makes no difference otherwise fella. Lots of People swap. Best practice to tell your insurers about anything you change.
Email response from Admiral is that it doesn't care as it doesn't cover the tyres!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
That's who I called fella and they made a note, along with the different brake discs. They mentioned it on renewal but as stated just a note. Makes no difference to quote etc.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds good to me and I've just spoken to iain at Litchfields who has also said the same that he's been fitting them for 2 years and never had a single complaint about them

·
Registered
924 Posts
just because it says they are the same size it doesn't mean they are the same size........ WTF

I have been told this is true. Its like buying a 34" waist jeans from River Island and say Primark

They say they're the same size but often not.

All 4 tyres from the same manufacturer and they will be.

Satan

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have been told this is true. Its like buying a 34" waist jeans from River Island and say Primark

They say they're the same size but often not.

All 4 tyres from the same manufacturer and they will be.

Satan
there is some truth to this,

ive only noticed as when other have streched tyres onto rims (dont ask, i used to frequent more vw shows than i care to admit) the "level" of stretch could be seen to be different despite the tyres and wheels having the same dimensions (the manufacturers being different however).

Its like r888 are always more "chunky" than standard road tyres, what you would fit a 255 too on a road tyre you would probably be at a 225/235 on a r888.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to agree some brands look more broader than others even they are sold as the same size, example Dunlops look different than Bridgestone fitted even though they may be the same size, anyway spoke to my insurance and they absolutely fine with the change so gunna get them done early next week God willing. I'll then have my part worn Dunlops up for sale.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts