GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
No, they can't.

A very very long time ago (in the 1950's) my Dad had a Motor Rummi scooter with one hell of an exhaust. The coppers picked him up and took him to the local nick yard saying it was too loud. My Dad had them put it on some kind of machine and they had to let him go. They all had a go on his scooter first though!!!

More up to date though, I deal with the law a lot through work (they're always arresting my residents!), and I was chatting to one of them about my exhaust. They can pull you if they think it's too loud but they have to put it on a machine still to see what decibels you're pushing.

Caroline:smokin:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that caroline

the bit that concerns me (and sorry the link don't work) is that they can issue an ON THE SPOT fine for 30 squids. And that is their judgement against yours.
So you challenge it..what do you do? take it to court?
I would have thought that if you have a valid MOT then they would not have passed the car if it was too loud?
True?
or you say ok mate take me to a test station and then you can fine me you fookin nazi if over the limit? and what is the limit nazi boy?

Sorry about that one.

NLW

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The offical line on sound is that if the car is louder than 101db, then its not legal... but id have him check the sound level using a correctly calibrated sound meter... they need evidence to nick you for anything :)

this was given to me by the Vehicle Inspectorate for my SVA...

101 db @ 500mm from exhaust tip, 200mm from ground level, or exhaust height (whichever is higest) @ 45 degrees from the car @ 3/4 max engine speed

·
Registered
865 Posts
Funny thing about MOTs is that if u read the bits and bobs that go with it then it does state that the MOT does not mean the car is road worthy etc or words to that effect, so why bother hey!?!

As for sound and emissions most traffic cars carry these tools that measure them with them so if u wanted to be funny they could be aswell, they also carry a nice little device for those ppl with tinted windows that measures the amount light in the car cabin.

No win situation really.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quite close then mate, some coppers are really funny with tinted windows, others don't seem to bother? Guess its where u live really.

Places like London say, how many ppl have tinted windows? U'd be all year pulling them.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Welchy Boy,

A guy on the GTI-R list was issued with a 30 quid fine last week ON THE SPOT as the officer in question was of the opinion that the exhaust sounded too loud.

Having "researched" this further, it has been found that the officer was perfectly within his rights to do this, and the fine stands. He has also been advised that he is unlikely to overturn the fine / ticket - having spoken to an ex-traffic officer. He also contacted his local traffic police to see what they had to say, and again they said although he was unlucky and that most are unlikely to have it happen, the officer was still within his rights to issue it. I argued about DB meters, MOT's, etc. but the guy had asked all of these questions. He was eventually told that ANY aftermarket exhaust, if louder than the standard equipment, is actually illegal - although the chances of you being pulled are low.

Now, whether he has been spun a yarn or not, i don't know, but he has asked all the right questions, and these are the answers he's been given from several different sources.

I have never had a problem with my exhaust...had some police behind me in traffic this morning, and they clearly weren't bothered.

Just feather that throttle if you're in any doubt.

Daz

·
Registered
241 Posts
i got stopped in my vectra for having a stereo that the nazi b******, sorry, Police Officer deemed too loud.

I got a £60 fine for this.

·
Registered
961 Posts
i dont know how some of those kids on those scrambler things get out of it
there so high pitched some times it hurts !
I HATE EM! :mad:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Let's hope

that they don't all latch onto this easy source of revenue then.

Yeah, it's alright for you to go past with yer ferkin siren wailing making me ears bleed, er officer. They'll be pulling ice cream vans next, well when the weather picks up anyway!

I've luckily not had much to do with plod (yet) so do any points accompany that fine?

·
Registered
241 Posts
i just got told to turn it down.

I actually turned it and drove off.

Then about 20 mins later, smashed the lock on the boot lid with the vibration!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I wouldn`t stand behind my R33 at 3/4 throttle,firstly you would get covered in black crap and secondly, you`d get burnt.
I love a nice bacon buttee.:D ;) :rolleyes:

Henry.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The problem is this..

The thing is, I suspect that most Skyline owners have exhausts that are over the 101 Db limit (which is against regulations). This being the case, there is no defence to the 'it sounds too loud' accusation by the copper cos if you had the test on the spot the result would be the same.

e.g. if a person (has 5 pints) was caught driving with alcohol on his breath and the copper says you are over the limit and issues a fine (hypothetically) what is the point of telling the copper to 'pish orf' and ask for a breath test?

But by the same token if you know your vehicle does not exceed the 101 Db, then ask the copper to prove it there and then. Because to accept the fine when you are clearly not in the wrong is an entirely different matter.

I know my car is a bit loud especially with the decat and the best policy is to be nice to the copper (difficult I know), smile (even harder), plead ignorance (whats a Db? Can I eat it? type comments)and impress em with your tech specs. Half of them only want to see your car up close anyways. :smokin: :smokin:

Y.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I understand my car has lagging in the downpipe :confused: to keep the noise down...

Might help some people, I believe Abbey put it there as the previous owner was pretty keen on track days!

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Jon,

The lagging on the downpipe isn't for noise, it helps the exhaust gases get away and reduces under bonnet temps, I put it on mine when I changed the turbos. Did Richard tell you that?

Peter.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Quote from Richard -

And if you're really worried and don't want to drill a hole, speak to Mark at Abbey who sold me a cat bypass pipe with some noise dampening. Works a treat.
Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Aftermarket exhaust legality..

I would doubt that the 'any aftermarket exhaust louder than standard spec is illegal' is totally correct as there are any number of bike cans you can fit aftermarket that are louder than standard but are certified for road use (83db for bikes I think). Generally OEM exhaust systems will be over engineered re noise .

Unfortunately our friendly coppers can essentially pull you for anything and then generaly find something they dont like - if not then issue you with a producer to inconvenience you anyway.

With the bikes they'll make you bring the bike to a police test centre to check the exhaust db. Although how Harley's get away with their 'standard equipment ' I dont know.

Iain

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
On a similar note, I've just bought a set of Middlehurst plates like keith's (I liked the typeface). They "look" legal (which I suppose is a paradox really) so I will be interested to see if I get pulled over for them after having been pulled over 3 times for my previous plates....

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
great debate,

Bikers are always getting pulled and fined for loud pipes.

There are not that many legal aftermarket pipes that release power so the bikers tend to take a chance on it.

from Ride magazine 2002 survey results.... "Almost 2 thirds of those who have fitted after market cans have an illegaly loud one. THis can attract police attention and will cause an MOT faliure."

I have driven past plenty of coppers but never at high revs.

/Steve

Ps mine was measured at 106 Db at Bedford.
at goodwood with the cat on measured low 90's

1 - 20 of 24 Posts