GTR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your daily runner ?

How many of you use your skyline everyday or only bring it out on nice days or for shows or meets ?

Just cause when i get one, it will be my main car and was wondering how many other Skyline owners use theres on a day to day basis.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
dont use mine every day. i would have no money left. is a fantastic machine though. i tryu to use it when ever i can.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Mine is a daily drive, but I don't do many miles in a year. Maybe 8K. I've not had it long but already my wallet is starting to feel the pinch.
Hoping it will settle down a bit once the 'honeymoon' period has worn off!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
not a daily driver but i take it out at every opportunity - i.e when its not raining.

i am of the opinion that if you use it more often, its more reliable.??? and therefore should be less expensive to run (fuel besides)

i remember a friend of a friend of mine bought a TVR and used it daily, doing about 25k a year, mainly motorway work.
after 2 years, it went in for a regular service and it was there for 5 days... upon asking why they kept it so long, the mechanic said they were doing "tests" as they could not understand why it never broke down!

the flip side to that, my mate has a ferrari F355. he only drives it about once every two months for about 2 hours, and it has spent more time in the dealers garage than his!
on the other hand, i know of a customer of mine that uses his F355 daily and he reckons it is very reliable and only needs the stated services.

i suppose its like this.... if you were put to bed for 2 months then suddenly woke up and pushed to do a marathon, then you would be ill too....
but if you trained every day for the marathon!?!

sorry to digress

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
Not sure about the above post ,I like less miles the better ,less chance of things to go bang .Touch wood mine has been fine for nearly 2 years ,dont use it much though.but have services when needed.

·
Registered
663 Posts
mine is a daily runner, only does about 5-10 mile aday and not had much problems for a whole year at the moment. fuel cost me around £20 a week so not too bad.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have no problems with driving the car anywhere, anytime, any weather. However, I still have the car I was driving before buying my Skyline, so I share time between them. And with my wife out of town recently, I have been juggling three cars.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can't leave it alone!

I used my R32 GTS-t every day for two years, not a problem and not bad on petrol (if you don't rag it, which I do).
4 months into R32 GTR ownership, every day drive, no problems (apart from the red lights on dash and water in boot, I got a sad one). I've been short of cash so less ragging and the MPG has shot up.
I do warm up and cool down which I belive makes a big difference.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ive had my 33 GTR for 3 years now and for the first two is was my only car and so I put on some 40k miles.

I had to be pragmatic about tyres. Very soft and sticky rubber may be great if you only do a few k's a year but 18" rubber is not cheap so a compromise of harder compound = less good roadholding = 20k miles a set.

Apart from regular services (at GTaRT) it gave no trouble at all. Yes you expect to pay more for gas etc then in your Mondeo/Vectra but you get tons more fun.

If you can afford the petrol and running costs go for it!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I've done 20k in the last 18 months, it has cost an absolute fortune. I have a daily driver, but I dont have the willpower to use it most of the time :(

·
Registered
858 Posts
Same as Hi5! - I do have other cars to use but i bought the GTR for driving, not to have it parked up, so i end up using it most days!

Like NickCH i do follow a decent warm up and cool down, no positive boost until 70 deg oil temp and taking it easy the last couple of miles and let it run for a minute or so on the TT.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Mine was my daily driver for the 1st 9 months of ownership.
I do lots of work in different hotels and some have very dodgy security in their carparks, so i decided it would be better to get a cheap runabout for work.
However some places are better than others so i do use it for work when i know that its safely parked up.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Mine is my daily driver. I can't see the point in having a car like a skyline and not enjoying it at every opportunity. I like to get my moneys worth out of the tax and insurance.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
My car has just come back to me and is running at 1.2bar now.
At the 0.7 I would happily drive it every day.
I need to get used to 1.2 on a nice dry road as it "twitched" a bit on me when I floored it.
Evenings and weekends till I'm happy though at the moment its going to be mainly hibernating.
And my neighbours really don't like a kakimoto at 6:30 in the morning ...

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Mine was in daily use for the first 7 years, after which time 100,000 miles and a rebuild and some serious modifications meant an alternative car for the week. The new car will be a daily driver ;) and the R33 will be an every weekend car (as it is now).... or at least will be when I get a new gear box :D

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,037 Posts
Entirely depends on what contract I am on. If I am near home then I'll use it. If, like for the last two years, I am away from home at least two weeks out of three, then it becomes a weekend track day toy.
I almost prefer the latter because it doesn't put the miles on and I still get a bit of a shock when I give it full boost for the first time in a month.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
A bit of a shock!!!

Glad I've got Butt Huggers for seats I am.

Whoopie was in front of me in the Saab and said he saw the car twitch then I was catching him so quickly he pulled over.
Its a really big difference and the way the car drives [over 3500 rpm] is unbelievable at the moment.

I'll get used to it ....

Out of interest, what boost you daily runners running.

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,037 Posts
Its a really big difference and the way the car drives [over 3500 rpm] is unbelievable at the moment.
He he, I was discussing this with Hodgie earlier today. I was asking what he thought of his new NUR engine. I have N1s @ 1.2, last proper dyno was 460 @ hubs. Slight changes mean re-map soon. I make do with OE seats, but harnesses do the job.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts