GTR Forum banner

Bose main door speaker(s) working?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only noticed my main door speaker wasn't working when taking my door card off to tighten up the closure rattle, checked the other side and not working either.

The doors obviously allow water in as there was a little rust on the back of the magnet and mildew on the paper cone of the Bose.

(after researching, somebody said they were working on a 63 plate car and found the same thing! So obviously common and does not take long)

I checked a friends GTR out of interest, and guess what, BOTH NOT WORKING EITHER, he had no idea. As with the other speakers in the door going its not the easiest thing to spot.

So go on, get outside and on your hands and knees and have a listen, be interesting to know if its all/ most effected.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine just went this week! Getting some Hertz speakers fitted this weekend. I was actually quite disappointed at the sound quality of the standard speakers, especially considering its a Bose system. I had an Evo X GSR before and the Rockford Fosgate system that came in that blew the Bose out of the water!

·
Vendor
1,677 Posts
I was actually quite disappointed at the sound quality of the standard speakers, especially considering its a Bose system.
Don't get me started :chuckle:

If anyone knows a friendly tech guy from their dealership, I would love to know if they have a fix for this water damage problem. I don't think many owners see it as their cars are garaged and only come out to play on dry days. A 6 month old 63 plate I recently worked on had rust on the magnet and mildew on the bass speakers in the doors :runaway:

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Noticed my drivers main speaker was off along with the door lock/unlock button not working a couple of weeks ago.

Damp connection located but also installed the same system that Tinimark is looking at (you wont be dissapointed).

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't know how they managed it, marketing probably....but I've never listened to a Bose system and been impressed at the sound quality.

Seriously, when you look at the "bose" speakers in the GTR and see the size of the magnets, it's surprising they can even function as a speaker at all.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Damp connection located but also installed the same system that Tinimark is looking at (you wont be dissapointed).
I can't wait. You should see what I've done to the car. Started taking things apart to get some parts carbon dipped and ended stipping ALL of the interior and half the dash!
Hoping it all goes back together the way it was before. :nervous:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Jeez - that's a lot of dismantling! How much needs to be taken apart just to do the plug and play front door kit? I've already installed the subwoofer upgrade, which was pretty straightforward. I'm guessing the front doors are a little more complicated...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Jeez - that's a lot of dismantling! How much needs to be taken apart just to do the plug and play front door kit? I've already installed the subwoofer upgrade, which was pretty straightforward. I'm guessing the front doors are a little more complicated...
It's basically passenger seat out, door cards off and a couple of bits of trim. I just got a bit carried away and wanted to run new cables to the doors which is probably overkill tbh. Also sending all the silver bits off for dipping which is why the wheel is off and the instrument panel.

If you managed the sub install then the front plug and play kit should be a breeze for you.

Soz for the thread hijack, I should pull my finger out and do a build thread really.

·
R35 Section manager
10,979 Posts
Will take a look and when I get the car out again

·
Premium Member
8,090 Posts
Anyone located where the water is coming from? Drainage hole blocked or poor sealent somewhere?
Could this be claimed on warranty to have replaced and fixed by Nissan?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just checked and mine are fine.
As for the Bose not sounding great, they are far better than the one's I had in my M3

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just checked and mine are fine.
As for the Bose not sounding great, they are far better than the one's I had in my M3

Did you have HK?

My E90 M3 without was worse than my 320d work car (also without), terrbile!

B&O is the S5 was better I think..

Got Bose in an RX8 Track car that's not good really either, volume but no bass..

·
Registered
484 Posts
At the moment i have to turn the base down to 30% otherwise i get a horrible rattle/vibration from the drivers door speaker.. Hav'nt had time to investigate yet but is crap for such a car..

·
Registered
519 Posts
The stereo system in the GTR I find to be adequate but it tends to be a bit noisy in cabin to put in a really decent system as most of the superior details will be lost in road/engine noise anyway. I will save my critical listening for home in front of a set of B&W's.

Not sure what people expect of Bose - they are a heavily marketed lifestyle brand, not an audiophile one. Most of their products are adequate at best. Nissan should have stuck a decent Pioneer stereo in from the get go.

·
Registered
341 Posts
+1 for a set of b&w with a good quality amp to drive them with. Their Kevlar cones give quite a "bright" sound which I like but you need a good sub to back them up...I like to feel bass as well as hear it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts