GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The paintwork on the roof and to top of the spoiler has started to look like this. Looks like it has water sitting on it all the time. I've tried polishing it etc but not really made any difference. Only really started looking like this over the last 6 months or so.

Any painters or that out there know what the issue is? How to fix it or is it a respary job?

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the thing I've only polished after I notice it. I thought I may have burnt it with soap when I've been washing it. If it's been sunny and not rinsed it quick enough.. Unlikely up this neck of the woods

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. But bird mess is a constant battle just now. I'll get it repainted but wouldn't like it to happen again.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Looks like the laquer has reacted to the over the years.

Trying wet flaring with 2000 paper and bring it back with machine polish.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Paint issue

As Tabz says or have you had any paintwork done else where on the car? theory being when the car has been masked with a plastic sheet it has not been fastened down properly and 2 pack overspray has got underneath the masking and baked its self to the existing paintwork on your roof. Also it could be industrial fall out from contaminated rain if you've been parked in a industrial area.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll give it a blast with the sanding down.

King nope not had any work done for that to happen. I remember the rain thing. might b that... Only on the roof and top of the spoiler

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Take it easy if you haven't got experience flatting and buffing paint.Start with 2000 paper and finish it with 3000 grit, the use Megs cutting paste and slowly polish it if you have a machine polisher.

Just try it on a small spot first and see if it fixes it, If it's still there then it needs a respray, if the clear coat shows those stains again, and they look wrinkled then it needs to be stripped back to bare metal and then redone!

I flatted and polished my old Civic EG6 and it came out like glass, heres a pic

Here's the rear bumper that I sprayed myself and finished it myself.
Base coat, clear coat etc:

Flatting:

Machine polished with megs cutting paste:

And the whole car after I finished it myself, I had it resprayed but told the painter not to flat/ polish it to save some £

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You've done a cracking job on the civic... Ave just helped a mate sand his 200sx that he painted so I've got a bit of experience doing that. Pain in the arse if you ask me haha. And I've got a das 6 pro D.A polisher. Wanted to know the cause more than anything. Was going to try mag 105/205 cut but don't have a paint depth gauge and didn't want to make it worse at the time. But I think now I'll give it a shot and if it goes tits up then I can get it painted.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
You've done a cracking job on the civic... Ave just helped a mate sand his 200sx that he painted so I've got a bit of experience doing that. Pain in the arse if you ask me haha. And I've got a das 6 pro D.A polisher. Wanted to know the cause more than anything. Was going to try mag 105/205 cut but don't have a paint depth gauge and didn't want to make it worse at the time. But I think now I'll give it a shot and if it goes tits up then I can get it painted.
Thanks mate, I spent a long time on that car I had the painter put an extra coat of clear so I could get it up to a very high shine.

keep us updates on how it turns out

·
Registered
440 Posts
Can't be sure from the pics but it looks like mineral deposits from either not removing soap from the paint work in time (before it drys in the sun) or water mark which have got seriously out of control

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
That civic looks very nice, were is it now, any more pics or a link
I sold it to a guy from the Isle of man

I was going to forge the engine and then boost it, I bought everything but just before I started I decided to sell up and buy my dream car (R33 gtr)

Here's a few from my owner ship, I got awarded best 5th gen civic twice for how much work I put into that car!

My build thread on Civiclife.net :http://www.civiclife.net/board/topic/111884-saifs-civic-eg6-sir-ii-selling-up-fresh-pictures/

Here's a couple of pics:
Custom turbo kit from the states

Ramhorn manifold, Garrett GT3076R

Test fitting:

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well had a quick blast with the wet sanding.. A quick rub with the 3000 then a run over with the d.a and some g10.

Still not happy with the results it would leave, kinda looks like there no lacquer/clear coat. To the painters I think

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
43 Posts
It does look like for what ever reason you no longer have any lacquer on the roof. My friends car looked exactly the same but he worked at a chemical factory and we put it down to that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts