GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after talking to Mr Miskin yesterday I called up Iain @ Litchfields and asked him to add a little something to the already long list of jobs he is doing for me in March!

The list now reads:

Red top engine with LM 3.8 GTR custom piston, rods etc

LM800 Turbo conversion
Dodson 1st Gear Extreme Duty kit
Dodson Super Stock Clutch Kit
R35 GTR Uprated Clutch Baskets
Intercooler Kit
Version 4 Map Motorsport upgrade

And a nice new shiny Litchfield 102mm GTR R35 Exhaust system for track days!

So at completion the car should be pushing 800Bhp with torque capped at 750.

So with the new silenced exhaust I should be able to do more track days this year and not upset the noise monitors!

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Nice build - 750 ft/lbs will be a beast.....

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
I always like to help people spend money:chuckle:

Seriously though, Iain's 102mm part silenced exhaust system is both epic in sound and epic in proper noise yet still allowing greater flow and performance (my opinion). It allows for the car to be used on all tracks in the UK and will not upset the neighbours.

Although I have tried the car on track since the rebuild, it has been difficult to say just how much an improvement it is because of the inclement weather, apart from stating that it is spot on for circuit work. Not silly power but rapid spool up and consistent torque with the handling upgrades to give great turn in and confidence. Once the brakes have been done (yes I have knackered them again) I will do a proper test and get Jake Hill to evaluate the complete package when we can grab some time when he is not preparing for the 2014 BTCC season.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Nice mods, look forward to seeing you at Silvertone.

John, did you go with pistons and rods or Red top engine? How did your internals look?

Anders

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
I didn't go for pistons and rods as the power and torque I need for track use is below that worrying threshold. Exchange engine and strengthened gearbox with some different turbos and sensible dump valves etc etc

The car feels immense with fantastic low down torque and running about 1.3 bar. I certainly don't need any more power unless I am going for higher top speed. The only issue Iain and his team had was setting the car up with the new turbos etc, and he mentioned that he had to do a 3 dimensional map after numerous logging runs. Whatever he did has worked as I am already seeing a far more reactive car and one that will perform fantastically on circuit.

I will be at the Silverstone GP trackday on March 23rd that I have just posted up in events. If conditions are good, a clear lap with an engaged brain, then I am hopeful of beating a 2 minute 19 seconds lap of last year (unofficially of course)

When the gearbox was stripped down it was virtually 'as new' even after all the track days I have done. I had the bellhousing modification and some minor bits adjusted and tweaked but nothing else. Apparently the engine was sound as well apart from a timing chain tensioner and a smallest amount of wear for the 35,000 hard track miles I have done. This just proves how strong these engines and gearboxes are as I believe I have tested it to the extreme. It might be that the MY11's are stronger than previous models but I do not think so.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice mods, look forward to seeing you at Silvertone.

John, did you go with pistons and rods or Red top engine? How did your internals look?

Anders
Can't make the 23rd march as I'm in the states.
Will be picking up the beast first week in April!

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Hi Pappa Smurff

Will look and see if i can make the 23rd - Goldie, get yer ass along as well !!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
do we have anyone on here who has a red top?

ive seen some twitter posts from litchfield with the finished articles, but not heard of anyone who has taken that plunge as yet.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So whats the "really" cost of these? What else needs to be done in conjunction with the engine package to actually make use of this power? Lets say on a stage 4.25 car....
At least what im having done!

Uprated clutch, first gear, circlips if not already done!

Im also having some work above that done on mine to give me peace of mind!

Clutch baskets etc.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
At least what im having done!

Uprated clutch, first gear, circlips if not already done!

Im also having some work above that done on mine to give me peace of mind!

Clutch baskets etc.
thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts