GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
haven't had a single second to spend time at the garage, but I've been wanting to know what's been causing sloppy steering response. While turning the steering wheel and with a torch under the car I found it - the right (driver's) side mounting for the steering rack was loose. Got out a 17mm socket and tightened up the bolt, but the rack is still shifting out of its seat when I turn the wheel.

First thought - I need the car on a lift so I can have at that bolt with a much bigger wrench and really torque that nut down.

But then I noticed - where the steering rack sits into the front subframe, there's a thick rubber bushing that wraps around the rack. It's all but gone on the right side, but in perfect nick on the left.

Now where in the name of jeebus am I going to get a "driver's side steering rack mounting bushing"?? And the clamp holding everything in place may be toasted as well, it looked like it, but then again, tighening the bolt did snug up the steering rack a fair bit (but did not cure the problem as the rack still rocks out of its seat a bit).

While I was at it, I finally located the steering column bushing. It's on the engine side of the firewall, right underneath the brake vacuum drum. Basically inaccessible unless very fiddly articulating wrenches are used, or either the vacuum drum or intake plenum is removed (the former would provide more direct access).

I'm somewhat miffed because the entire engine was out last summer along with front subframe, and I asked the shop to go over everything with a fine toothed comb. Clearly, that didn't happen.

Anyone know where I can get this steering rack mounting bushing rubber thing??

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
The bush on the pinion side takes all the axial load, hence that bush wears quickest.
You can buy from the dealer, or buy PU part from aftermarket companies like superflex.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
d'oh, those Superflex bushings look the business. Cancel Nismo order and...

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got the car on a lift and completely cinched down the bolts. My episode with the AWD locking up and shaking the hell out of my car worked the bolts loose, and we got both of them tight. There's still a touch of play - you can't feel it driving (so I must have been driving on a dead bushing for quite some time), but watching it, you can see the rack shift slightly.

So, new bushings on order, get that all sorted out. The car's ability to turn is already lightning quick, so with a properly bushed steering rack and billet aluminum steering damper replacement, it's going to be a goddam go-kart! :D

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought about that but couldn't find any straightaway so just went with Nismo. Wouldn't solid bushings be harder to install? unless the bushings are two-piece?

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Gotta agree with Lex there...I have the DW stainless steering coupler and, while the cars not been out for a test yet, I can say that my std rubber coupling was screwed so it really cant be any worse.

I too have been looking at rack bushes and have bookmarked the superflex items. I have tried to find solid rack mounts but have hit a brick wall. I believe DW used to do them but not any more. I've even searched through a lot of the Aussie sites I know of but still no joy!!.

Anyone know of a place that sells solid R32GTR rack mounts?????

TT

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found S15 solid steering rack bushes; they look like R32 but who knows if they'll fit.

I've got a solid steering coupler in the mail along with Nismo rubber rack bushes. Fitting the rack bushes is easy. Getting to that rubber coupler - if you've got any suggestions besides dropping out the engine, I'd love to hear it!! I did see a step-by-step online for pulling the steering column from the inside of the car.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
I found S15 solid steering rack bushes; they look like R32 but who knows if they'll fit.

I've got a solid steering coupler in the mail along with Nismo rubber rack bushes. Fitting the rack bushes is easy. Getting to that rubber coupler - if you've got any suggestions besides dropping out the engine, I'd love to hear it!! I did see a step-by-step online for pulling the steering column from the inside of the car.
Nice one Toby, let me know how you get on with the solid rack bushes and where you got them.
As for the coupler, its not too much of a hassle in itself. Its just the issue that the whole lot will be covered in corrosion and is a bitch to get back on. In the end I had to remove the coupler+shaft (you'll know the bit I mean) AND the coupler to rack joint which had loads of crud in it.

As for a how-to guide.....look HERE. Dont know if you have been on the DW forum before mate but theres a LOT of good info on R32's. Hope that helps

TT

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
As for a how-to guide.....look HERE. Dont know if you have been on the DW forum before mate but theres a LOT of good info on R32's. Hope that helps

TT
I understand Toby learned much GTR engine tuning thoery on here, the wealth of 32 suspension tuning knowledge available on DW would blow you away dude :thumbsup:

Cleethropes,

33s and 34s dont have steering bush so wont apply mate :D

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my aluminum steering column bush arrived yesterday, my Nismo rack bushes arrived today, so tomorrow is Shop Day!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.