GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1996 R33 GTS-t which has had a number of modifications and is currently running a very healthy 330bhp. :)

I'm shortly going to have the Tomei pons cams fitted, but will probably need to change the exhaust, as the pipe is starting to go at the bend just in front of the back box.

Here's the dilemma, the current exhaust is nice a quiet at low speeds, but when opened up is apparently very nice sounding. (I can't here it to be honest, as the induction system is SO loud!!.). Do I go for something that is very similar to the existing pipe, or do I have a straighter pipe fitter, (remember the bend,), or go the hole hog and have a custom pipe made up? Also, with the imminent cams upgrade, which exhaust is lightly to give the best results? (and I don't want something that will wake to Gods!!:p ).

Car has:-
HKS induction kit
Forged internals
HKS head gasket
740 injectors
Tomei fuel pump
Iridium plugs
GReddy intercooler
Apexi PFC
Hybrid turbo
Running 1.2 bar
HKS down pipe
RB Motorsport de-cat
(Not sure what the cat back pipe is)
Plus various other bits and pieces.

Andy.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
If you like it as is and arent desperate to squeeze every single bhp out of it, get something similar or the same one if poss.

If you wouldnt mind it being louder then get a straight pipe. I think the main consideration for you will be the amount of noise that you find acceptable.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would like to strighten the back of the pipe up, but retain the current noise to be honest, which is why I think a custom pipe might be the way to go.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Andy,

Make sure you don't go for titanium - I have a 4" one with a single back box and it's very noisy.

I was out with Keith doing a little set-up stuff at the weekend and was surprised at how quiet the 5" system fitted to his R32 is. He has a single silencer box at the back.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I'd go for one of the trust ones (can't remeber if it's the evo or the extreme but the quieter of the 2) nice and quiet of boost, but free flowing when up in the rev's.

Custom made ones can be very nice, but it can be hard to find one that is quiet AND free flowing as a little bit of trial and error is involved in tuning it just right.

Hugh, I don't think your's is the noisiest I've ever heard, but certaianly the droniest (is there such a word?) I think this comes down to the ridiculously thin walled material that it is made from. I reckon you could remove a good deal of it by wrapping.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys, food for thought!

I have looked at the Trust one Cord and have sort of decided that if I go with a non-custom item, it would be this one.

Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts