GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is almost 10 years to the day that I px'd my G60 Carrado at Middlehurst for a 6 years old R32 GT-R.

In that time it has gone from a stock R32 to a Stage 1.5, (as I call it ;) ), I would have like to have taken it further buy now, but like the rest of us have a life to balance.

So, after 10 years the old tin worm had started to have a munch at my rear wheel arches, so I decided it was time to get J5 back to the condition it belongs.

So here is my photo diary:

Worst rear wheel arch, (was only visible from the underside):

A botch repair at Middlehust 8 years ago has left a large chunk of fill ready to drop out, hence :nervous: Gaffa tape for the past 8 months! :(

So after much discussion, I drop my car off as Bibby Body Styling who is ths same guy who did Individualist R32: http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/67640-garage-saurus-r32-gtr-revamp.html?highlight=saurus

So on my first vistit my car was stripped of anything that would come off:

But in doing so unearthed a few problem areas I was not expection, like this behind the rear 'mini spat':

Corrosion on the alloy bonnet:

And another botched repair job, form before my time, (honest :))

So, we decided the bonnet could not be repaired well enough to ensure the next 10yrs without that sort of corrossion coming back again. I sourced another hood, but this had a lip spoiler bolted on, which I didn't want, and part of the under structure chopped out for a big single. As I an really after the stock OEM look I had to get those bits sorted out:

Bonnet before:

Bonnet mid repair:

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, my main computer crapped out on me mid post, so didn't have time to spell check.:mad: :mad: :mad:

I am on my Laptop now.

Part 2 coming shortly,...................

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well done Scott!
As you all know I had to make the descision a year earlier and i will document all that was done to bring her back to win Best 32 last year.
I won,t be around this year as I am now on a contract in Cairo and won,t be home until Christmas.
Hope you have a good year and win a few prizes for your efforts and commitment.

regards,

Ross.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Part 2

Ross,

Cheers for the kind words. :)

So, the next step was to take the grinder to the shell and banish the rot for ever:

Once the rot was gone it was then time to start rebuilding her:

At this point it looks a real wreck: :(

But at least the bonnet repairs were complete, and in its final colour, (Under all the dust:rolleyes: ):

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So bring you all up todate, here are the photos as of yesterday:

I have decided to spray the engine in the same colour as the body work, especially as some od the black paint was looking tired.

So I boroughed the GTROC's spare cam covers, plenum ans turbo pipe, and got the sand blasted in preporation for painting:

The boot lid was now also in its final coat. Like the bonnet I decided to colour code these rather than redo them in the standard cars matt black:

Also this week the drivers side rear wing is coming along well. The welding is complete, and the whole wing has been skimmed with filler. Now I was not happy with the filler, I have been reasured it will be sanded virtually all the away back to metal, just leaving the the oidd spot off filler in any little depressions:

I spotted these bits on a bench on the oppersite side of the workshop, and realised these were my door mirrors and door handles all split down into their basioc components and ready for painting:

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like its going to be a new car by the time it's finished. Will be nice to see the end product.
How long is all this taking Scott?
It was meant to be a 4-6 week job, but yesterday was week 10!!!:eek: :(

But I have been reasured it will be worked on full time next week, and there will be a real change next week, maybe be all in primer. :D :smokin: :smokin:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Well if it's in primer at least the body work is finished :chuckle:
To be honest I thought it would have been longer than that, good luck anyway, keep the pics coming.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Gutted !!

I didnt know you were up there yesterday - I went along to the fete with Bob and the lads.

The 32's been coming along nicely the last week or so - in fact I was discussing your rear quarter with Carl the other day. You have to get used to his perfectionism - hence why he totally covered the panel in filler to then sand back through, its a waste of time and money but means its absolutely spot on at the end of it.

Are you coming up to Carls as well then Mr Hodge ??

J.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank for all the kind words all. I was not going to do a write up thread, as i was a bit depressed as to its condition when it was all stripped down :(.

But it will be 100% when it is finished, so i guess there should be no shame.

James, i must have just missed you :(, would have been nice to catch up with you. I hope the fate was fun ;)!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Scott,
No need to be depressed.
I'll send you the pictures of mine in bits and you will feel a whole lot better!
I,ll put the whole rebuild together and mine took around 5 months to complete.
I worked on it at the shop every weekend and the guys who did most of the work were very professional with ensuring everything was done properly!
Just stick in there and it will turn out just fine.

Ross.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts