GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, confused! I've used the search facility & found some stuff on R33's & a few people mentioning R32's but as complete idiot with no vocabulary I need some help on this!

Does anyone have a picture of the underside of an R32 or a diagram that they can show me not only jacking points (did pick up that using a lump of wood is a good idea that I haven't used) but also where I should put the axle stands front & rear :thumbsup:

Telling me it should go on (for example) 'point A' as I'll have no idea what 'point A' will look like or where to find it :chuckle:

I may afterwards be heard to say 'oh there, well why didn't you say so' but currently I won't be !!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
front is best to put axle stands on the metal under chassis which goes under the sump

At the rear I use the inner wishbone connection to the chassis on both sides.

works a treat never any problems.

to be honest it depends on what work I am going to do dependson where i put them mate.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say cheers dude but unfortunately that's my point as I have no idea what you mean by metal under the chassis! Same when you say wishbone connection, no idea!

That's why I need it shown to me visually!

By the way, should have mentioned its for storage to keep the wheels up!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
mate if you dont know whats what, why are you going under the car in the first place ?

I can pop some pictures up tomorrow :)

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
If you look under the car at the front and rear there is a heavy flattish metal section about 4 or 5 " wide running across the car not too far from the axles .
Its usually painted gloss black and looks stronger than the chassis sections which go along the car (front to back)

PS dont my spare wheels fit.

·
Official GTR.co.uk Photographer
2,671 Posts
AAAAAAGHH !! so anoying , why is it so hard to find a complete picture of the underside of a R32 GTR ? trying to help but cant seem to find a clear picture from the net :squintdan

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PS dont my spare wheels fit.
They do ... just :chuckle:
About 1.5cm from the brake calipers :thumbsup:

Its more a question for long term & to make sure I'm using the right areas when jacking & putting it long term on axle stands.

JAYCABS - know what you mean, GOOGLE has been no help!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm after exactly the same information, being a relative car dufus pictures would really help.

Thanks the village idiot

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers fella :thumbsup:

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
If it's any help a decent jack with a rubber boot/saddle helps.

I find that I have to jack using the OEM jack first to get enough space to fit the proper jack under the car. I forget exactly where I put the axle stands but usually on a nice solid bit of subframe (with wood cushions). Haven't yet worked out how to do it when I need to drop the rear subframe...

·
Registered
500 Posts
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac103/gobiz/DSCN2937-1.jpg

i think u should jack at the thick part...as u can see, numpty me jacked it right where there's rust lol
I disagree with you. Typically when you jack on the "frame" rails they dent.

You can jack on the following;
front tow hooks
rad support
front cross member
rear differential
rear differential cross member(nose of diff bolts to this)

Typically when you have coilovers on your car the fake frame rails just dent because you lift more weight then with stock suspension.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I disagree with you. Typically when you jack on the "frame" rails they dent.

You can jack on the following;
front tow hooks
rad support
front cross member
rear differential
rear differential cross member(nose of diff bolts to this)

Typically when you have coilovers on your car the fake frame rails just dent because you lift more weight then with stock suspension.
thanks, i tink im gona follow the manual from now on and jack at the x memmber

·
Registered
250 Posts
FROM MY POINT OF VIEW I TEND TO USE THE POINTS IN THE MANUAL BUT NEVER TAKE THE WEIGHT FULLY OFF THE JACKS AND SUPPORT THE CAR AT 6 POINTS INSTEAD OF TAKING THE WEIGHT OF FULLY AND PUTTING ALL THE WEIGHT ON THE STANDS.
OK. SO THE MANUAL SAYS SUPPORT ON THE SEAL .
BUT SEALS ARE WEAK SPOTS ANYWAY.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
please dont jack the car up on the rails! they do indeed dent,very easily!!!

i usually:
drive the car onto some slabs
use a scissor jack under control arm/tow hook to raise up the car high enough for the jack to go under
then i jack the car up from the cross member on the front,and place axle stands on the control arms + cross member,and maybe raise the scissor jack so the tow hook rests on it

on the back,i simply raise the car using the rear diff,and then put the axle stands under it

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So anyone going to post photos then of where these points are?

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
ignore the garage mess,but you can see where i placed my axle stands while the car was up in the air,well you can see where they are put from far,but you should get an idea of where you could put them once you raise you car,i'll take more pictures when it's back on axle stand

·
Registered
250 Posts
i am surprised you could find your 33 under that mess, let alone the axle stands man.
lol lol ;-)
nice size garage though.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts