GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always reading articles here an there about how much better tuners from Japan are than our own tuners. There seems to be an almost mystical following of tuners such as beeR, mines etc but I can't see how they are any better than tuners such as RK, Thor, SVM etc
The comments I see from some of our import traders, magazine articles etc seem to sugguest otherwise

are they better ?

if so, why ?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
They're not!

We've had Skylines here since the very very early 90's so there's more than enough experience with them in the UK. With regards to the R35, you only have to look at what the UK tuners have achieved so far

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
I'm always reading articles here an there about how much better tuners from Japan are than our own tuners. There seems to be an almost mystical following of tuners such as beeR, mines etc but I can't see how they are any better than tuners such as RK, Thor, SVM etc
The comments I see from some of our import traders, magazine articles etc seem to sugguest otherwise

are they better ?

if so, why ?
In short, no!!

Its no different to folks feeling that German tuners are best for Porsche, Italian tuners are better for Ferrari etc etc....

In my opinion it all comes down to experience and results....indigenous tuners are usually a bit quicker off the mark in tuning vehicles. Thats not to say that they are instantly tuning gods!! I bet there are just as many horror stories of tuning gone wrong in Japan as there are in the UK. There is nothing special about Japanese mechanics or tuners..they dont have access to any tools that the rest of us cant get.

IMHO, the reason we here more about Japanese tuners is that they go about marketing themselves differently to those in the UK as well as having TV and internet channels dedicated to motoring. I mean, you can go online and find a whole raft of clips from japan with back to back shootouts e.g. The latest Top Secret R33 incarnation Vs latest Mines R33 incarnation Vs latest BeeR R33 incarnation etc etc....
You dont get the same in the UK. Can you imagine on Motors TV, a shootout with Abbey R32 Vs RK Tuning R32 Vs MGT R32 Vs RBM R32 and so on......???? That would be great but were just not set up for that kind of stuff over here.

It would seem that there is a niche, whether online or on TV for PROPER motoring coverage. Who knows, perhaps Motors TV IS the place to do it!!

So, in short, THATS the reason why Japanese tuners get more press and attention internationally!!!!

TT

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@ JagsThat's what I think as well but when you see cars that are "MINES" tuned being sold for a far higher premium because Mines worked on it always bugged me a little especially as eveybody might have known something I didn't about Japanese tuners

TT that makes perfect sense

Somebody should do a youtube channel dedicated to our own tuners. A track battle with customers cars and their own creations as well

Just for me at least ;)

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I think it depends on how you compare them. You don't see the rate of product development from UK tuners for Skyline's, R35s I think are better served. The well known Japanese guys all have a range of in house development and sometimes manufactured products, the volume of R32s, R33s and R34s on the roads here just don't justify that investment for our "tuners". Also I think the well known Jap tuners are very expensive in terms of labour rates, generally garages in Japan are much more expensive than we are used to here and people like Mines are a level above that again. This gives them fatter margins to invest in products despite many of them being actually quite small operations.

·
Registered
853 Posts
In short, no!!
Your ( Japanese ) R32 doesn't use any Japanese aftermarket parts, then?

You know, the kind of aftermarket parts that were conceived, engineered, built and developed in Japan, largely commissioned and used by small and medium-sized Japanese 'tuners', and part of a whole raft of parts, data and experience from which non-Japanese 'tuners' have ( obviously ) benefitted.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The UK 'Jap' market are far too wrapped round headline figures. 10.99 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!! FOR £698 REMAP AND EXHAUST or 800 BHP FOR UNDER £3K IN PARTS.

So yes, when it comes to headline numbers v £££ the UK branded tuning and parts win over a lot of opinion.

It's not different to someone acquiring 19 inch 'Nismo-style' rims from *o*a for a few hundred quid and saying Nismo/Rays are overpriced foreign rubbish.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
You get quality parts in Japan, their attention to detail is second to none. We have the capability as we have a great history with automobiles and motorsport and the fact that more than 80% of the F1 cars are made/designed in the UK not to mention smaller UK companies making individual components for most of the teams.

Problem with the UK and its attitude to Jap Imports and its sole aim is to turn their demo car into a 1/4 mile dragster, give it as much power as possible with out much care for anything else - a quarter mile missile.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Your ( Japanese ) R32 doesn't use any Japanese aftermarket parts, then?

You know, the kind of aftermarket parts that were conceived, engineered, built and developed in Japan, largely commissioned and used by small and medium-sized Japanese 'tuners', and part of a whole raft of parts, data and experience from which non-Japanese 'tuners' have ( obviously ) benefitted.
WHAT???.....

Of course my (genuine Japanese) R32 has Japanese made aftermarket parts fitted!!!

But then, this isn't about me, MY car or aftermarket parts.....the OP was making reference to the whole 'tuner scene' over there and asked the question whether Japanese based tuners were "better" or had tools imbued with fairy dust.

The answer is still no...they are NOT 'better'. If you had bothered to read the rest of my post then you would have noticed the bit where i mentioned the bit about them having a completely different performance car scene over there which is geared up for heavy promotion of various tuners which we don't have over here. Its got faff-all to do with who makes aftermarket parts.

While we're on the subject, we all know that any part not made in Japan is inferior and designed to kill you :rolleyes:

TT

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Is the 1/4 mile not such a big deal in Japan then ? I see from lots of youtube vids they like flying round blind bends with sheer drops into oblivion but I also don't see many pimped up micra's whoring it through quiet suburban streets either doing burnouts.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Problem with the UK and its attitude to Jap Imports and its sole aim is to turn their demo car into a 1/4 mile dragster, give it as much power as possible with out much care for anything else - a quarter mile missile.
That is absolutely true..or at least, that's the perception i have too.

OK, there are some couple of exceptions but you could be forgiven for thinking that a Skyline is only good for the drag strip....

TT

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
I got in to Skylines and was fascinated by them when I saw the Tourist Trophy race at Donington way back in 1988 when the R31 GTS-R driven Percy and Grice almost pulled off a win against the more powerful RS500's. The R32 was a beast that evolved from the R31 and was a great track and so far ahead of its time. Some 25 years later it has been reduced to a dragster! Shameful!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Is the 1/4 mile not such a big deal in Japan then ? I see from lots of youtube vids they like flying round blind bends with sheer drops into oblivion but I also don't see many pimped up micra's whoring it through quiet suburban streets either doing burnouts.

Not as much as before, but it's still popular, there was a noticeable shift from drag to curcuit and drift a while ago, the money being thrown at development on all platforms seems to have shifted.

Not a bad thing. I've had dealings with Japanese, UK and US tuners, it's like anything really, you get just as many cut corners in Japan as you do any where else. It's all about finding the right people.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Whether or not J tuning houses are better than UK I am not really able to comment on as I have no personal experience dealing with mines , top secret etc. much as I would love the opportunity. I do have experience with UK though some very good & some absolute Shit !
If you want to see what J tuning companies are capable of take a close look at a Ti exhaust from the likes of Powerhouse Amuse or Tomei. They are beautifully engineered. Not personally seen the like from UK ?
KM

·
Registered
853 Posts
The answer is still no...they are NOT 'better'. If you had bothered to read the rest of my post then you would have noticed the bit where i mentioned the bit about them having a completely different performance car scene over there which is geared up for heavy promotion of various tuners which we don't have over here. Its got faff-all to do with who makes aftermarket parts.
On the contrary, I think the amount of Japanese aftermarket parts available to - and used by - non-Japanese 'tuners' has got a lot to do with it. If you don't think it does, then I would question what you really know about the Japanese performance car and 'tuning' scene in Japan.

How can it solely be down to your theory of "heavy promotion"? The Japanese media ( first of all in print, and later in video / DVD etc ) have had plenty of coverage to give because the material is there for them to cover. The sheer number of small and medium sized outfits - with the odd giant here and there - all over Japan, and the sheer number of customers they have, dwarfs ( let's say ) the UK 'scene' for the same kinds of cars. The Japanese aftermarket and 'tuning' scene - not forgetting the domestic Japanese race scene - grew exponentially through the 1970s, 80s and 90s. Knocked back a bit in the Noughties, it's still huge.

Huge generalisations - like the one that is the basic premise of the OP's first post and the topic of the thread - are not going to get anybody anywhere. On a head-to-head level ( hopefully... ) a good mechanic is a good mechanic, no matter where he's from. If you're going to scrutinise the subject on international levels then you have to take into account the fact that the Japanese aftermarket and 'tuning' scene is much, much bigger than the equivalent UK scene for the same cars, and always has been. Writing this off as some kind of 'hype' is ridiculous.

The R35 may well be the ( new ) exception to the general rule, and that's because of where and how it has been sold.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On the contrary, I think the amount of Japanese aftermarket parts available to - and used by - non-Japanese 'tuners' has got a lot to do with it. If you don't think it does, then I would question what you really know about the Japanese performance car and 'tuning' scene in Japan.

How can it solely be down to your theory of "heavy promotion"? The Japanese media ( first of all in print, and later in video / DVD etc ) have had plenty of coverage to give because the material is there for them to cover. The sheer number of small and medium sized outfits - with the odd giant here and there - all over Japan, and the sheer number of customers they have, dwarfs ( let's say ) the UK 'scene' for the same kinds of cars. The Japanese aftermarket and 'tuning' scene - not forgetting the domestic Japanese race scene - grew exponentially through the 1970s, 80s and 90s. Knocked back a bit in the Noughties, it's still huge.

Huge generalisations - like the one that is the basic premise of the OP's first post
What generalisation did I make ? I'm simply asking a question or is this you jumping on me again for no reason ?
I am interested in these sort of discussions.
I dont know much about the Japanese tuners except that I know they are known all over the world. They seem to be very very respected and I want to know more about what they do thats different and if that makes them better.

·
Registered
853 Posts
What generalisation did I make ? I'm simply asking a question or is this you jumping on me again for no reason ?
Have another look at the title of your thread. If you don't see the huge generalisation in the thread's premise then you'll probably not find the true answer to your questions.

Now you're talking about NISMO and Mugen. Both are essentially offshoots of Nissan and Honda respectively, set up to cater for the sports tuning and race activities of those manufacturers. Lumping them in with privateer outfits is stretching the point a little, don't you think? As I've pointed out, huge generalisations will only lead to further huge generalisations.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
They are in house tuners so they are still tuners are they not.
Plus I really only mentioned them due to the cool sounding names to try and lighten the tone a little thats all. Just a bit of humour, same with the title of my post, some humour, a bit of fun. Nothing to be taken so seriously Mr Serious all the time.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
they do have much cooler sounding names though

Amuse
Mugen
Nismo
Mines
BeeR

Mugen is particularly a cool sounding name
They are all tuning 'houses'. Im really struggling to think of a comparable thing in the UK.

Which is a shame IMHO..

TT

1 - 20 of 45 Posts