GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the time has finally come!

The JCR Carbon Fibre Shift Paddles are now available for pre-order with the first run ready to ship in 2 weeks time!!

Concept

From initial concept through to the first CAD drawing, this project has thrown up many unique challenges.

The goal was simple, to create a set of direct replacement Carbon Fibre Shift Paddles with the added benefit of not only beautifully hand crafted carbon fibre but also increased functionality through modified geometry and extended paddle lengths. Allowing the driving enthusiast to change gear while maintaining two hands on the steering wheel.

Production

We decided to go the extra mile and have Carbon Fibre moulds produced for the production paddles. This ensures absolute accuracy every time, and a beautiful surface finish.

We are using the highest quality mix of T800s and UD (unidirectional) pre-preg Carbon Fibre for the JCR Carbon Fibre Shift Paddles and have spent countless hours with composites engineer’s fine tuning the specific process of Time, Temperature and Pressure (TTP) to yield a superior product.

The final result is a beautifully hand crafted piece. Hand finished and polished to a light shine and then coated with the most advanced chemical sealant for UV protection.

Pricing

The JCR Carbon Fibre Shift Paddles will have a retail price of £700+vat (Including free UK delivery)

Based on the interest during the development phase JCR have pre allocated 20 sets of paddles exclusively for GTROC Forum members and will be offering a group buy opportunity for this first production run.

The offer is as follows:

10 sets - 5% discount £665+vat
20 sets - 15% discount £595+vat

Please feel free to contact us on [email protected] or PM and of course, If you have any questions just ask.

We really hope you like them

Cheers

Jonny

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very very nice looking & tempting...............
but more than I'd hoped they'd be!

I would love to offer the paddles for less but unfortunately the price reflects the difference between a properly engineered carbon fibre part and a something wrapped with cheap carbon and made to look pretty..

The cloth we're using for example is literally 5 times more expensive than the material you will see on most aftermarket parts.

Hopefully I'll get the opportunity to bring some paddles along with me to events, often just having the part in your hands helps explain why.

In the mean time, I have opened up a group buy opportunity for the first production run exclusively for this forum :)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I love them but the price is just too steep, I changed mine when I had the RS6 to some nice ally ones, the cost of those were £250 which I thought was expensive but really £700 is way off, but hey that's just my option i'm not rich like some others on hear Lol

Bobby

·
Registered
206 Posts
I love them but the price is just too steep, I changed mine when I had the RS6 to some nice ally ones, the cost of those were £250 which I thought was expensive but really £700 is way off, but hey that's just my option i'm not rich like some others on hear Lol

Bobby
Yeah, I have to agree, I can appreciate the development that has gone into these but could never justify that cost. they are very pretty though :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Gotta also agree, look great but £840 is way too much. Wouldn't like to think how much the steering with shift lights will be...

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I can appreciate the effort it has taken to make these but I think that if this product was to cost around £200 to £300 + VAT you would sell quite a few sets.

At this cost it's nearly half the price of some tuning mods.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sadly it looks like you didn't MVP during the research phase.

You created the best of the best, but people just want carbon bits for the shiny weave, the 'change gear from lock to lock' function might be a-nice-to-have but could have been done in plastic if it's just for the functionality.

You've clearly manufactured something quite lovely that you can be proud of, there just isn't a market for it.

Why not find out from the chaps here what the buy in price is and manufacture something shiny to that budget with your desired margin built in.

Then you have the MVP and a market.

Looks good BTW.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Problem I see is another trader will buy a set make them on the cheap and people will buy.
As I stated on another thread I'm more of function over form

·
Registered
540 Posts
Have to agree. I think the additional length is the primary motivation and benefit to change, the material is less important. Plastic or aluminium would have been better to get the functionality without the price.

Rather than throwing the design away, why not consider fabricating in another cheaper material, as it seems the carbon is what's driving the sky high price.

Truly, I think you will have a big market for longer paddles if you can get the price below £500.

Great design, but the value proposition simply isn't there...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Guys,

As I stated from the start, I set out to produce the best product to fit the job. I feel that we have achieved that with great success.

I appreciate the feedback on the pricing and be assured that I have priced these as competitively as possible, in fact, the margins are extremely tight making whole sale next to impossible.

In regards to a trader attempting to copy and produce for less with the same results. That simply will not happen.

This product is not carbon for the bling factor (that's not what JCR is about) it's designed for a purpose and aimed at those who appreciate the true value of a properly engineered component, for this application Carbon Fibre was selected as the best material for the job. I'm pleased to say that on the first day 16 customers around the globe agreed.

JCR was created with a vision to create the ultimate GTR, the JCR Carbon Fibre Shift Paddles are one step closer to that goal.

Cheers

Jonny

·
Registered
356 Posts
lovely paddles but way too steep a price for even the keen amateur owner.

i am interested to know why you don't think they will be copied ?

no doubt a portion of your price needs to go toward your R&D costs as is normal, anyone else taking a look will be able to replicate your basic design much cheaper as they wont have to front the R&D this is the reality facing all manufacturers, unless you can swing patent and then globalize said patent, and have pockets deep enough to defend it, believe me i speak from experience.

if your paddles are £840 then that rear spoiler is going to be eye-watering never mind a shift light steering wheel.

not knocking the effort you have put in and if your happy to sell very limited numbers of a bespoke product, then good luck to you,
in the immortal words of dragons den "I'm out" :)

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Too expensive full stop, you can word your sales pitch as fancy as you like and I'm not saying that they aren't good quality but come on fella us gtr owners don't eat through the nose.... That's just a ridiculous price

1 - 20 of 120 Posts