GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, now I'm REALLY beginning to think I should seriously look into an R35. It appears that solutions to tuning the R35 are well along the pipeline. I'd want to build an 800bhp car (needs to have at least that much power to justify the investment - no point in spending that kind of money if it's not dramatically faster than my R32)

Anyways...since there isn't a domestic market Korean GTR yet, I have to look at grey-market cars. Would I want a JDM car? or a US-market car? JDM cars are speed-limited but that's of course a non-issue because the car will be tuned. I also prefer RHD, even though Korea is a LHD world; it just seems to make sense to steer on the right side of the car to me.

But are there other little differences? Can you watch TV on a JDM car (I'm pretty sure it's still illegal to have a TV in the dash of a car in the States), or play DVDs? Not for me, of course, but something to make the Wife happy while on a drive.

or other technical differences with the engines or transmissions? IIRC the USDM is detuned to 450bhp, but isn't that just an ECU thing?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
there isnt much differnce. the early R35's had launch control version 1. they also had issues that were ironed out with updates on later year cars.

if your going to drag race maybe launch control version 1 will be your best bet.
the newest year for everything else

regardless 800hp your going to rebuild the the transmission to handle all that and you probably wont use launch control at all at 800hp, who knows, some can get the launch control 2 to launch at 4500rpm's, and they can do it with vdc off for better results (so i hear, maybe thats not correct?).

the nissan ecu in america is the same as everyone else. the first year was 480ps, the next year 485ps. translate ps to hp and its 473hp. there are speed limiters on the JDM version but easly removed with any tuning software.

as for watching tv while driving the car there are mods out there from a buncha differnt places, some are home brew some are offered by big names.

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
I guess by your recent posts Kismet you are thinking about a 35 more now , I reckon providing the gearbox does not go tits up it seems they can now be fitted with parts rather than just replace the lot ,probably cheaper to run and tune than the 32 that you have .
You can run a full exhaust with no cats on the 35 as well , Looking at the after market world of this car is amazing ,probably more stuff avalible in a short space of time than previous models :smokin:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the R35 is obviously a brilliant car. I was dissuaded at the beginning due to the appearance of limited tuneability, but it appears that (as would be inevitable) that tuners are rapidly getting around that.

In terms of power, it seems that very good numbers are being produced on stock internals. Since boost is only pushed up to 1.2 bars, I guess the cylinders aren't seeing absurd internal pressures. 800bhp is barely more than 200bhp/liter, which is high for a serial production engine but is a moderate tune level for the aftermarket.

But you're right, it's the transmission. I hope that it can be as simple as replacing the twin clutches and various other bits, rather than someone having to reinvent the entire internals. I do want to try the idea of running side exhaust pipes like the FIA GT1 car, which opens two spots for extra cooler radiators. If transmission oil temps are one of the problems with failures, that could help.

Overall, a cheaper build (over the price of the car itself) since massive rebuilding isn't required. But one thing to consider is that getting 800bhp (albeit without ridiculous torque levels) would cost just a couple grand right now, bolted into my R32.

But then there's the handling of the R35 versus the R32....big question there, and while a hardcore setup R32 could match or exceed an R35, well what about an R35 with a few grand invested in the suspension?

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
I don't drive cars at the same level but I have a R33 GTR with tein street stuff and a stock JDM R35 and the 35 is a lot more grippy

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
start trying to get ahold of a consult3 with gt-r card now. that way when you get your R35 you can perform all the required updates be it an 09, 2010, or 2011. each year later the parts get better, like the suspension etc, but some of that will get ditched at 800hp upgraded to handle the massive power.

the chassis in the R35 is down right amazing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts