GTR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

Video quality not the best. Looking forward to hearing it on the road, particularly with my own exhaust. Strange seeing it rev off the counter!

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Update on transmission. Seems 1 to 6 gears are all good. Diff is good and just a new output gear is being fitted. ETS and clutches being checked and should be all back together again by now. So tomorrow all back in the car and tested. Then alignment (again :( ) and hopefully collection on Wednesday.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
So is it true the engine failed on the dyno or are those just rumours ?

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
So is it true the engine failed on the dyno or are those just rumours ?

Yes, that's correct John. Although not in a satisfying explosion unfortunately. In fact we didn't even realise for a week as it was very subtle. It seems the block cracked on the last dyno run when the drop gear had also started to break down. Whilst of course disappointing I'm thankful it happened there and then. if it had gone like this in a couple of months it could have been much worse.

The transmission was sorted and I was due to pick it up a couple of Fridays ago. The evening before the Litchfield guys were buttoning up the car and checked the oil and after a short bit of investigation could see there was coolant in the oil sump!

They did a test late that day to exclude the possibility that it was anything to do with the coolant/oil breather tank. The test confirmed it wasn't that.

I got a call from Iain the morning of intended collection. As soon as I saw it was him ringing I knew there was a problem. We talked the issue through and at that point it wasn't 100% clear what the problem would be. They have never had an engine fail like this before and tune isn't exactly pushing the boundaries. I spent a few hours worrying it would be the turbos I had supplied which quite frankly scared the hell out of me as it could have cost me tens of thousands to rectify.

I got a call later and Iain said they had removed the engine and further investigation confirmed the block had cracked. Obviously far from ideal but I was pleased it wasn't the turbos. The Litchfield guys are being spot on and replacing the block and doing all the work gratis. So no additional cost to me and this didn't require a difficult conversation either. They were all over it from the very beginning and totally accountable for the issue which I applaud. Just more time for my build to conclude.

This failure was nothing to do with recent machining. It was in the V of the engine, on one of the banks. It was also very small - so passed inspection (visual and pressure test) when the engine was being built but obviously the numerous dyno runs took its toll and pushed it over the edge. Whether this was just an anomaly in the casting or wear over time or something else, who can be sure? it doesn't seem like a common issue and it concluded the 3 bits of bad luck (lift getting stuck, dyno breaking and now cracked block) that mean absolutely everything moving forward will be perfect (fingers crossed anyway). I had a brief chat with Iain about the need for NDT (non destructive xray testing) as a consideration for other builds like this.

So this is what the car looked like the day I was supposed to be collecting it :bawling::(

I'm not cross about it, things happen. I just need them to continue to prioritise the build through to completion and get it out this coming week.

I really hope the car is good and its all worthwhile as this has been a brutal rollercoaster so far and I haven't even had to do anything.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
No these things can happen, so had Ian crack tested the block before hand, im wondering if it started before the build, some people say used blocks are better than 'green' blocks because they have been heat cycled.
What drop gears were they ? Just stock? But they are very strong for a stock part, Im not sure whats in mine but either way im going to use the PPG as they look huge, wow 2 failures in one swoop but fortunately in the correct place (litcho's) same luck as me at moment !!!! So the only symptoms were a slight leak and water in the oil? Yet another thing to look for, maybe Ian will have an idea of what led to it after he investigates, hope its back soon and run in etc

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
****inghell Mart. I thought I had unlucky moments.

Onwards and upwards though Itll be worth it

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
No these things can happen, so had Ian crack tested the block before hand, im wondering if it started before the build, some people say used blocks are better than 'green' blocks because they have been heat cycled.
What drop gears were they ? Just stock? But they are very strong for a stock part, Im not sure whats in mine but either way im going to use the PPG as they look huge, wow 2 failures in one swoop but fortunately in the correct place (litcho's) same luck as me at moment !!!! So the only symptoms were a slight leak and water in the oil? Yet another thing to look for, maybe Ian will have an idea of what led to it after he investigates, hope its back soon and run in etc
Yes they pressure test it for leaks and visually inspect too. They don't NDT test and as mentioned I chatted to him about this as I have had some involvement with this for weld inspections and sign off. Could be a good consideration for any blocks with higher mileage or ones that have previously run bigger power.

My drop gears were OEM. It's the cone shaped one that goes onto the large pinion gear. The Pinion gear was in great condition. The smaller cone shaped one was just showing some small signs of delamination which could be felt through the drivetrain. That small cone one has been replaced with another OEM one. I believe it went due to too much wheel hop John. I have billet first and shaft and baskets which I guess could withstand the occasions that happened but the output gear obviously wasn't so keen.

****inghell Mart. I thought I had unlucky moments.

Onwards and upwards though Itll be worth it
Cheers Andy. Yes I hope so too. In cars and life I will take short term pain for long term gain every time. The car has been brilliant to me in the 4 years I've owned it and I'm not too upset about these things as I know they are isolated. If the gearbox had blown (as in 1- 6 gears) then that would have been different. These issues have just added to the time to get it back and I don't have any concerns about long term health. As an optimist, I'm walking away with a newer block LOL

Great response from Iain to sort it out FOC. I'm sure it will eventually be worth the wait to get it on the road.
yes agreed on the positive response from Iain. They made it easier than they could have. I just need it finished now to a great standard and back to me to enjoy before the terrible weather takes hold.

Hope you get car fixed soon and go enjoy it.
Cheers buddy

·
Registered
416 Posts
Credit it where it's due, even the best engine builders will have issues, it's what they do about it that matters most and Litchfield have really stepped up on this occasion.
Nail on head. Litchfield have kept me as a customer not because their work is perfect but every single time there has been a problem they have gone above and beyond to rectify it.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
How's things coming along Mart?

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
How's things coming along Mart?
Amazing Andy. Amazing!

I picked the car up a week or two ago and have been driving it a fair bit to check all is well. Done numerous map revisions now just to tweak and adjust and it's been getting better and better.

I wasn't sure at first what I thought though. I even wondered if it was any faster than previous. Which was worrying. It had also lost a fair bit of the low down response that makes the OEM car feel so keen and willing to go.

I needed time to re-acclimatise to the car and the speed. We also increased the rev limit from 7500 to 8500 and upped the boost by gear capability. These things started to make a big difference.

Dan at Litchfield's then went on to also make some adjustments to the boost and timing (boost from 1.75bar on the rollers to 1.9 bar on latest map revision) which made it feel even more drivable and the turbos come to life a bit sooner and harder.

Despite all of this, the total sum of mods and changes has resulted in a car that is very stable and balanced with an incredibly smooth power delivery that just feels like it gets faster and faster and faster as you move through the revs. The feeling as you rush through 6k / 7k and then past 8k is something else.

I am hopeful the car will remain drivable on the road and the odd sprint and track event I attend. I'm still getting used to it and can't bring myself to fully open the throttle when the car is turning. Although this will change as I get more time and experience with the car. When I first got it back, it was the same in a straight line. I sent a log to Dan at Litchfield and said it seems to take a while to make the boost and really go for it. I get a very polite response back saying having reviewed the log you start opening the throttle from 2500 rpm (it was a 3rd gear pull) but don't have it fully open until 5200rpm :eek::chuckle::runaway::chairshot:rotz: hahaha no such problems now I'm feeling more comfortable again.

41 - 60 of 116 Posts