GTR Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Sad to hear your gearbox spat the dummy.

Be great to hear how you get on with your modifications at the next high speed event.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Been a while since I posted. Picked the car up at the end of last week. In the end I went for a full Albins gearset, including drop gears.

I deliberated over the clutch choice for quite a while. I already had a Litchfield / Dodson 14 plate superstock clutch which I could have stuck with but I knew that with the box built I would want to be able to up the power on occasion and run a race fuel tune too. Therefore I opted for the Xtreme 16 plate upgrade that would go into my Dodson Billet baskets. Should be more than enough.

I had lusted over the Xtreme 18 plate heavy duty unit but eventually decided that it was more money than I was prepared to spend - for minimal gain (only true upto the point my 16 plate starts slipping!)

I have to say the built box sounds brilliant! The Albins is supposed to be the quietest gearset but you can still hear it. Particularly when coasting down to a stop, or pulling away in first.

Hopefully it (and the engine) will continue to be reliable.

I will shortly put a Dodson extreme first gear and shaft, plus the Litchfield / Dodson14 plate superstock clutch up on the for sale section. perfect for anyone looking to upgrade their box for upto 900bhp.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
general update on how the car is getting on. I had an issue that turned into a slight misfire. Turned out to be a spark plug deteriorating and eventually breaking. The guys at Litchfield bore scoped the engine and reported a clean bill of health - meaning I was lucky. I think this is down to having higher lift valves and bigger turbos tbh.

I regret my decision to go for the street intercooler for sure. I'm asking too much of it and i'm finding with the box built I am still limited in the amount of power due to intake temps rocketing. Luckily the car is still plenty fast and most of the time it's not an issue but I know there is so much potential left on the table. A race cooler is on the list. but possibly not for a little while.

the front diff and also the handling kit (bushes) make the car drive so nicely. Very much recommended modification as it rectified a number of things that I consider to be shortcomings on the standard car.

Drag day planned for the 10th October with the GTR Cartel and will be hoping to find some time to dial the car in. Will give it a nice little racefuel tune (with a fuel that will help, not hinder the fuel system) and see what times are possible.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Santa Pod. It's a GTR Cartel drag day (private rental so not open for general public). It's being run in conjunction with Birch Performance (my racefuel company).

It's limited spaces to maximise track time (it's a test and tune day albeit with a shootout and trophies at the end to add to the fun). There are a few spaces left if anyone wants in and a bunch of spectator tickets left for anyone that fancies coming along to soak up the action.

Let you know if you'd like details.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
Cars not been running so good recently :( Mind you I haven't had much time to drive it and it may be nothing. I've taken some logs and sent across to Litchfield's but I think the car will need to go back. Whilst I'm not 100% I think it may be a spark plug degrading.

Prior to the car going in for the box build, a significant number of road logs and map tweaks had been done to help perfect the tune. The car was feeling great to drive and other than being fuel limited I was happy. Having opted for the best Street Intercooler money can buy (rather than the Race cooler I should have bought) the car has never been that happy on the dyno, with inlet temps going high after a few runs. Therefore the bulk of the map tweaking has been on the road, which transformed the car and made it great.

When the box was built, the car went on the dyno again to check all was well. Stood with Iain one time, I found myself uttering the words I'd promised I wouldn't say - 'well, whilst it's on the dyno, you might as well try and get a bit more power' :chuckle:

I couldn't help myself. 1300bhp capable engine + 1200bhp capable turbos and now a gearbox to suit, it just seemed to make sense. Fuel system and intercooler still massively constrained of course and I wish I hadn't bothered.

The car didn't make any additional power and it feels like we've clicked back several map revisions in terms of drivability. If anyone reading this is considering a build around 1k horses and debating street or Race cooler - then take my advice, go straight for the Race.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I collected the car just before the GTR Cartel Santa Pod day. Managed a couple of drives but not much. Was nice to have the car back and felt the love again quite quickly. The way it turns in and the handling in general is so so good. Particularly after driving normal cars for a while.

I was busy at the Pod day as I was doing the organising and making sure it all ran ok (which it did of course!). I did get a chance to run a few times but due to being busy, bad reception and the car not feeling great on the 2nd run I didn't manage to get the tune sorted. No big deal, another time I'm sure.

As for the car not feeling quite right. Off boost there is no issue, but when the car does come on boost, it will occasionally do what feels like a misfire. I'll work through this with the Litchfield team when they're available as I know they are busy atm. I was sent a file across after the log from the pod day which has been uploaded, but as said above I think it's going to need to go back.

Assuming its a plug (or maybe a coil? Hopefully nothing too serious), I don't know why this has happened again. My gut feel is it relates to high inlet temps - meaning I need to get that sorted ASAP.

I know there is a revised LM Dominator Race cooler coming out that should be excellent and I've also seen a decent looking MASSIVE intercooler in production by GTR Performance (DudeSVR on here) which looks a great piece of kit at a reasonable price. It must be close to 6 inches thick so should do the job, but no actual data yet. Naturally I'll be keen to ensure I pick the best tool for the job this time around.

·
Registered
151 Posts
if you had a misfire you should have a code stored. try using your ecutek dongle to check for DTC's maybe.

do you have a oil catch can installed? vr38s, expecially built, can have a lot of blow by on idle through the pcv which can cause detonation/damage plugs.

lastly do you have a billet crank? since you said your motor was good til 1500hp...stock crank is only save for 1200.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
There was a misfire code initially, the first time it happened. Then never since, although I've only driven the car a handful of times since. I find this odd - it's possible it just needs a number of map revisions, or as suspected possibly a plug breaking down. I guess we will see.

I do have a catch can, also linked to the pcv.

The debate of what the stock crank is good for is an interesting one. I have a super finished stock crank and personally wouldn't go too far beyond 1200 on occasion. Truth be told, the tune as was, prior to the box build was lovely. Maybe add another 50 / 100lbs but no more is needed

101 - 114 of 114 Posts