GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my GTR engine the brether pipe comes off the left hand side of the engine (inlet camshaft) to go to my catch tank yet on my friends 34GTR it comes off the right hand side (exhaust cam), which is correct and is it not better to bring the breather pipe for the catch tank off both sides?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
855 Posts
On my GTR engine the brether pipe comes off the left hand side of the engine (inlet camshaft) to go to my catch tank yet on my friends 34GTR it comes off the right hand side (exhaust cam), which is correct and is it not better to bring the breather pipe for the catch tank off both sides?

Thanks in advance.
I've got mine coming off the same side as yours, with the exhaust side blocked off. I didn't want it to come off the exh. side because it would be directly over the hot turbo's and may melt through or catch fire.
I believe it would be better to have them both come off and go to a catch tank.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am planning to take mine off both sides soon and take them both to the catch tank.
I still have my exhaust side plumbed in as stock until i can run them both to the catch tank.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
OK, I suppose your talking about doing this.........???
[/IMG]

So are A and B still connected to their original pipes?? Is this an effective solution for the plumbing of the tank???

TT

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Nice one Matt. I take it you just blanked off the feeds to A and B on my diagram??

TT

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On mine at the moment I have got my feed coming off A on the diagram and have the original 'U' pipe that links the 2 feeds together.

Is it best to do away with the 'U' pipe all together like Matt has?

Matt I have to say that your engine bay is truly stunning!!!!

Thanks for the diagram tarmac.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He has not blocked off his feeds, he has an earls type connector in place of where the stock connector blocks are.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Ian, i've seen this done before with an Earls/Goodridge connector screwed in, in place of the standard one. My point is the std ones have 2 connections each whereas this setup has only 1.....my dodgy arithmetic tells me theres 2 hoses somewhere with nothing to connect to!! I.E the hoses that connect to points A & B on my diagram......

TT

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tarmac (whats your real name?!),
The hoses that connect to points A and B will be taken off completely and they will be blocked off where they used to go into the inlet system.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
how do the standard connectors come out, sothat the earls type can be fitted ?
I'd also like to know the answer to this. I'm pretty sure i read on here that the original unions have a nut on the inside of the rocker cover. So i'm guessing the rocker covers would have to come off to do this job.

Tarmac Terror; yes i fail to understand this aswell about the 2 other connections. One of the original pipes goes to a blow by valve near between the inlet manifold and water housing area IIRC...so what happens to this?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as i know they just get blocked off and you just take the hoses off the top mounts straight to the catch tank.

·
Registered
450 Posts
how do the standard connectors come out, sothat the earls type can be fitted ?
I've just converted mine to Goodridge -12 JIC fittings. You need to locally warm the cam cover boss until you can gently press out the standard steel hose union from the underside. I used a hot air gun. I then threaded the hole in the cam cover boss to accept the JIC fitting. I will be running an individual -12 hose from each cover to the catch tank. The tank itself acts as the join hose that used to go from cover to cover.........

·
Registered
597 Posts
can someone explain the tech please? why is the oe system no good and why the variations in routing of the hoses?

cheers.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The OE system is OK but it puts all the dirty oil gunk back in the inlet system so it is better to fit a catch tank.
Hose routing is just personal preferance.

So is the joiner 'U' hose essential to equal out the pressure or something?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The plumbing depends on what type of catch can situation you are trying to achieve.

I just have a single feed from A to the catch can, which vents to the atmosphere.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is the same as what i have but i am going to get a feed from A and B due to B still being put through the induction.
Mine also vents to the atmosphere.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
The Greddy one I have is not vented and I was thinking about drilling a hole and fitting a small K&N breather filter. Dont know if it would make a big difference seeing as the pipe from B, like Ian, will still be going to induction.
Dilemma...........

Scott,
aka TT (LOL)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts