GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a GTR 6 months old and it has cracking on the front brakes near the drilled holes either Nissan or the garge where I purchased it will be paying but Nissan say it has been tracked the guy before said 100% it has not what I want to know has anyone had this problem of cracking discs just through normal every day use as each brake disc is £500 and have to repalce pads at £500 so total is £1500 for 6K miles seems a lot to pay.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
lot cheaper alternatives

all depends on how noisy you want them to be

R

·
Registered
194 Posts
I purchased a GTR 6 months old and it has cracking on the front brakes near the drilled holes either Nissan or the garge where I purchased it will be paying but Nissan say it has been tracked the guy before said 100% it has not what I want to know has anyone had this problem of cracking discs just through normal every day use as each brake disc is £500 and have to repalce pads at £500 so total is £1500 for 6K miles seems a lot to pay.
I'm afraid these parts are not covered by warranty as i found out. No track days and 6k miles and was quoted £700 for front pads, also have hair line cracks around drilled holes but will do until i can replace. Just bought the Yellow stuff pads to see if they last longer and for half the price.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
carbotech but they make lots of noise cost around £300 and improve stopping power

·
Registered
522 Posts
My front discs cracked early on too and after weeks of debate with Nissan they would not replace them, stating that they are "consumables". Hadn't been anywhere near a track, the front pads were disintegrating as well with half the front right crumbled away. Ended up going to Litchfield for an Alcon upgrade on the front discs with carbon/metallic race pad upgrade. All in about £1400 including VAT and labour. Slightly noisier and dustier than stock but better than shelling out over £2k only for the stock parts to crack again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Garage I bought my vehicle is going legal with Nissan over the Brakes as they have proved they are not fit for purpose, it also seems as though the later R35 with Nav have better discs not sure what nissan repalce them with, I think as they are not fit for purpose if we get together to go to Nissan these should be sorted

·
Registered
522 Posts
Let us know how it goes! When I moaned about mine they said "....we can see that you haven't been on the track but the brakes have been over 800'C and the car has been driven hard....". Suppose I had done 12k miles but I would have thought that the discs would last a bit longer than that. Wouldn't feel confident spending a day or two at the ring on stock discs. Much happier on the cheaper/better Alcons.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Had the same problem 7000 miles new pads and discs need changing at next service
seems a very common problem even without track days !!!

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Heavy fast car running on drilled rotors.

I always expected to have to replace these in less than 10k. I'm at 8.5k, 2 track days, so not doing too bad.

Alcon, Performance friction, or AP racing for me next up....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am waiting for trading standards to get back to me on Monday about this disc bull+++t.
I belive there is such a thing as my statutory rights so I'm checking mine.
IMO all parts on anything bought in Great Britain have to be fit for purpose and everything bought has been tested to either British standard or equivalent so these discs would have been tested to determine their quality and structural integrity and would have a known life value.
If not then WTF are they doing on a "supercar"?
If the discs on the GT-R are cracking after such a short time then they are not up to the job ie that of stopping a race car which goes fast!(that is their job right?)
I have been on to an American company who despite quoting me $2000 for new discs and pads would not give me any guarantee or warranty at all.
I can't think of anything I've ever bought that has had NO guarantee!
I think it is time Nissan realised that if you sell a car for £60,000 then THEY need to ensure that all parts are fit for use.
I would like to see more owners being a lot less accepting of poor quality and lack of action and get a bit more pi+++d off about the various problems with this car.
If I ran my business like Nissan do with a Vikki Pollard "whatever" it's your problem not ours attitude and told my customers that there are no guarantees or warranty on my work then I think I would end up with NO customers!
I understand that discs are consumable but they still have an acceptable wear life surely?
I am considering going into the brake disc business myself.
I can sell discs (which at the end of the day are lumps of metal) for loads of money with no responsibility or come back at all...brilliant!
Please can the members of this club begin to realise that there are 210 of us not 12 and that give us a lot of consumer power.
210 complaints to trading standards about sub standard brakes/paint etc would certainly get Nissans attention, I hope!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have threatend legal action as Nissan claimed misused on my car but can not give me an answer to mis use even after they said they would put it in writing 3 weeks later nothing so I have given them 1 more week and then going legal, I have changed my discs all 4 of them for AP racing with Ferrodo racing pads, £1800 for all 4 but at least they last

·
Registered
198 Posts
Im taking robbieJs advice and taking the disks to the death till i change them but ill be changing all my pads next week on my 6000 mile service. Im sure this will do the job for now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I spoke to office of fair trading and trading standards to take this up with Nissan as they have quoted misuse but will not put anything in writing so do not know what terms misuse this could mean anything at present see what comes from the 2 bodies in the form of action

1 - 17 of 17 Posts