GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the write up I have place on the Fiat Coupe forum:

"I have never been in the presense of a more menacing looking car. Black, antracite wheels, black and red leather trim. If aliens invaded the Earth, this is what they'd come in. Get in, get comfortable, press the red starter button and the thing rumbles into life. No indication yet of the power - it sounds pretty ordinary (I can see why some of you fit the Miltek Y pipe thingy). After a quick lesson on the transmission I put it in full auto and take to the road.

The car feels huge - great sweeping dash board like a people carrier, big instruments, long bonnet. What struck me first though was how comfortable it was to drive. I cannot understand the journalists who talk about it being too hard - it just isn't. Very firm, yes, but informative and cossetting somehow at the same time. Then I realised there was a comfort ride setting and things became even more serene. What a bunch of crap car writers talk.

The road opens up so I switch to manual (paddles) and give it about 25% throttle in 3rd. There is a little lag, a mutted, distant roar from the front of the car, then suddenly - whap.

OMFG.

That was quarter throttle.

I get another stretch, drop to 2nd and give it about half throttle.

Now i've driven 2 GT3s but didn't really push them hard, and an R8 which I pushed harder but only on one slip road as it was rush hour. This was something else.

The dealer is sat in the back (poor man, there isn't much headroom back there) and let us drive the car for around 10 miles. A roads, twisty B roads and a stretch of the M11. As I got braver I gave it more and more beans "go on, floor it" the guy is telling me and I didn't want to disappoint him. I think I managed full throttle about three times, once from standstill and a couple of times in 2nd and 3rd. It is incredible. Utterly so. It makes the R8 feel slow (which it isn't, trust me) and utterly transforms your impression of what a car can do. The noise at high revs is like something from the engine room of the USS Enterprise going into warp. I've read how a good car seems to shrink around you when you drive it quickly and that's what the GTR does - you don't feel intimidated despite everything around you because you get the distinct feeling that this beast from outer space is on your side. The handling is awesome - completely planted at all times and confidence inspiring with heavy but accurate steering (you get used to the tramlining after about a mile or two). The brakes... a set of lights went red 50 yards ahead and I was doing around 60. It was like hitting a wall.

By the time we got back to the guy's place (a big house in the country with a gravel drive and a garage full of his own cars - Bentley, Ferrari, Mercedes, old Corvette - he's beyond loaded) I had a smile on my face a mile wide.

What a simply unbelievable car."

You guys are very, very lucky.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
This is the write up I have place on the Fiat Coupe forum:

"I have never been in the presense of a more menacing looking car. Black, antracite wheels, black and red leather trim. If aliens invaded the Earth, this is what they'd come in. Get in, get comfortable, press the red starter button and the thing rumbles into life. No indication yet of the power - it sounds pretty ordinary (I can see why some of you fit the Miltek Y pipe thingy). After a quick lesson on the transmission I put it in full auto and take to the road.

The car feels huge - great sweeping dash board like a people carrier, big instruments, long bonnet. What struck me first though was how comfortable it was to drive. I cannot understand the journalists who talk about it being too hard - it just isn't. Very firm, yes, but informative and cossetting somehow at the same time. Then I realised there was a comfort ride setting and things became even more serene. What a bunch of crap car writers talk.

The road opens up so I switch to manual (paddles) and give it about 25% throttle in 3rd. There is a little lag, a mutted, distant roar from the front of the car, then suddenly - whap.

OMFG.

That was quarter throttle.

I get another stretch, drop to 2nd and give it about half throttle.

Now i've driven 2 GT3s but didn't really push them hard, and an R8 which I pushed harder but only on one slip road as it was rush hour. This was something else.

The dealer is sat in the back (poor man, there isn't much headroom back there) and let us drive the car for around 10 miles. A roads, twisty B roads and a stretch of the M11. As I got braver I gave it more and more beans "go on, floor it" the guy is telling me and I didn't want to disappoint him. I think I managed full throttle about three times, once from standstill and a couple of times in 2nd and 3rd. It is incredible. Utterly so. It makes the R8 feel slow (which it isn't, trust me) and utterly transforms your impression of what a car can do. The noise at high revs is like something from the engine room of the USS Enterprise going into warp. I've read how a good car seems to shrink around you when you drive it quickly and that's what the GTR does - you don't feel intimidated despite everything around you because you get the distinct feeling that this beast from outer space is on your side. The handling is awesome - completely planted at all times and confidence inspiring with heavy but accurate steering (you get used to the tramlining after about a mile or two). The brakes... a set of lights went red 50 yards ahead and I was doing around 60. It was like hitting a wall.

By the time we got back to the guy's place (a big house in the country with a gravel drive and a garage full of his own cars - Bentley, Ferrari, Mercedes, old Corvette - he's beyond loaded) I had a smile on my face a mile wide.

What a simply unbelievable car."

You guys are very, very lucky.
Great write up.....have you also seen the GTR grin yet??? Looks like you've come out of a NASA centrifuge and have this permanent wide grin :D pasted accross your face.......New passengers are afflicted by this condition every time...OR is it FEAR:D or the Cobb AP

·
Registered
377 Posts
Good write up niall and the same feeling everyone of us on hear has had and continues to have each and everytime we drive this awesome machine :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get it now - I totally get it. All those times over the years I've seen beefed up Skylines roar past and wondered why people would want to spend so much on fuel - and I bet the R33 and R34 were nothing on this thing (?)

I've queued for 2 hours in England and the US at theme parks and had less fun afterwards than this car gave me on ordinary roads around Chigwell - and that was behaving myself (if you call a brief blast to 120 leptons behaving). Congratulations guys, you own the most remarkable car.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed, by the way, that sitting at 80 the mpg indicator was fixed above the 30. What economy can you get on a long haul when behaving yourself?

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Mid to low 20s.

However temptation to give it the beans is too much for normal mortals.:D

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I noticed, by the way, that sitting at 80 the mpg indicator was fixed above the 30. What economy can you get on a long haul when behaving yourself?
Managed 32 mpg on a long run to Silverstone after being pulled over and told to behave :D
Phew:nervous:

·
Registered
300 Posts
32 ???

You used some kind of magic ?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
LOL, great write up Niall, if you thought this car was awesome!! wait until you sit in a cobbed machine :runaway: :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
Mines somehow averaged 22mpg over the last 200 miles, I reckon motorway cruising its high 20's :thumbsup:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another question as I do my sums:

Say the previous owner has reached 120C and not had the fluid changed. Can he clear the in-car telemetry data? In other words, would you have the ECU read to know for sure or would it all be stored in-car for anyone to see whether he liked it or not?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not sure on the answer but if you're buying privately I'd suggest you get the owner to submit the car to a check up at his preferred HPC - perhaps if you pay a deposit that's refundable only if the HPC raises issues. Any genuine enthusiast owner wouldn't (well shouldn't!) have a problem with that.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Nice write up Niall, glad to see it surpassed your expectations!

At the moment, the diagnostics only record temps in bands, so it will be impossible to see how often or if the car has gone over 120c, although the dealer will be able to tell how often it has gone over 110c.

In reality, nothing is going to break just because it has gone over 120c, but if you're worried just get the fluids changed and enjoy the car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts