GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got them yet?
If so what are your thoughts on them as i am toying with the idea of getting some as i can get them here in the States for about $200.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Worth the money,mate.....

I got them,put them in(20 seconds job each) and got 1.2sec faster from 0-290km/h.........accuratly measured twice each test on the same street on the same day in the same RRR mode:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Nice improvement Alex, bit surprising since they shouldn't affect MAF calibration being panel filters in the original airboxes, suggesting if repeatable that you really are freeing up a restriction, which is not usually the case with panel filter swaps on other engines.

I thought the stock inlet tracts look generously sized considering there are two of them and the power levels we're talking about. An Evo could pull 400 BHP through just one of them I would think, not measured exactly, just from eyeballing them.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
@thistle: I did a few runs,all of them measured with my driftbox,same street,same startingpoint...car was stock,y-pipe and Milltek catback.

I did 2 runs with stock filters,exactlythe same time, then the 2 runs with just the K&N´s equipped it was 1.2 sec faster till 290km/h then the others....not much,but good improvement for 90GBP:thumbsup:

On the evo´s you´ll notice the turbos holding/making more boost as they can breath the air more easy....

·
Registered
968 Posts
Will you need to remap after or makes no difference?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies, just ordered them from Dave.........gotta support the traders ;)

Plus it works out slightly cheaper than getting them here in the States and bringing them back to the UK.

As for the remap thing....i do not see much need for that, filter changes are the first thing i have done on all my turbocharged cars before the GTR and never had any issues.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Thanks Alex:thumbsup: In hand;)

Available to buy online here:http://www.a1motabitz.co.uk/catalog...7896/K_&_N_New_GT-R_Panel_Filter_x_2.html

Dave:wavey:
Great service from Dave, my filters arrived today!

So simple to fit, even I could do it. Have stuck the "do not replace" stickers to remind my HPC not to swap them out!

Strangely, the left hand stock filter had noticeable dirt on it, but the right one didn't. (Looking at the engine bay from the front.)

Will do a datalogging run later with the AP to see if there is an instantly measurable difference.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Do they make any difference to the sound of the car?

Also can the fact they are fitted be spotted by the cars ECU ?

Kp

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Andy- correct you do not need a remap the intake calipration for filters on stock airbox but will do for other intakes, so we highly recommdend stick to stock its good enough for 800hp+. Guys who change intakes find response sluggish until caliprated correctly.

ARW- I spoke to Jemery @ Cosworth, he came to ace meet. he said Cosworth filters not released yet.

Matt- Mines filters are k&n :rolleyes:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Gonna buy these as well. Would be the first thing I do to an engine myself (bar installing the AP today). What a difference that made!! Thanks Ben. Now trying to find somebody who supply K&N in The Netherlands!

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Do they make any difference to the sound of the car?

Also can the fact they are fitted be spotted by the cars ECU ?

Kp
It's not a big difference in sound, but if you're driving alongside some walls, you can hear additional aid sucking noises if you open the throttle.

Ben will have to chime if if he thinks the datalog looks noticeably different, but he also changed the timing and a few parameters so it may be difficult to know what, if anything, to attribute to the K&Ns.

I'm relying on Alex's experience, but I'm sure the resulting power increase, if there is any, is very small.

Interestingly, the Cosworth ones claim to not require oiling. Does that mean they are disposable then?

The K&Ns only require re-oiling every 50k miles so hardly high maintenance...

Tom, drop Dave (s2gtr) from page 1 of this thread a PM. I'm sure he could send a pair to Holland?
Very quick service and a lot cheaper than importing a set from the US.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts