GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having service next week and I was thinking of changing the air filters to K&N. Not cone, just OEM replacement. Got a couple of questions though.

Should I really expect any gains in terms of performance or sound or anything else?

Are there any disadvantages? I've heard they allow more dirt to enter, is that true? Anything else?

I'm running 2009 EDM with GTC Ti Y-pipe, Cobb Stage 2 or GTC custom map and LC5, if that's of any matter.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Personally I would not bother, the power gains are at best minimal and yes you will sacrifice filtration efficiency, for me it really only becomes a viable option when you go for a full intake upgrade and power gains outweigh the loss in filter efficiency.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I've got them, purely because it's a fit and forget part. Filtration is reduced to start with, but it soon improves as the dirt builds up. They use the oily dirt as the final filter system. Cleaning isn't required for 100k miles. Induction noise is more noticeable, and is nice and throaty at low revs, and you can also hear the turbos spool up with the window open. If there is a power gain, it got lost in the other 550bhp :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I think I'm gonna keep changing my OEM filters. Filtration is necessary in the country I live, as we got dirty air. And the described gains are nothing much for me.

I knew a place when they were trying to convince me that K&N filters don't allow more dirt in the engine, just more air. That didn't seem logically explainable to me, so I had to ask a neutral side.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
dont bother the performance gain is minimal and you cant really hear it too. you can hear a louder "woosh" but only if you are stood outside the car (cant hear it even with just the windows down)

however if you are never ever planning to go for cone filters / u pgraded intakes and plan on keeping the gtr for a LONG time then it may be cost effective to change to the k&n's

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have them and a milltek ypipe, just waiting for Saturday when the car gets mapped by RyanG ;) I will post up the SRR dyno charts
Filters are worth about 10 bhp. I had this confirmed with Ryan at SSR when I got stage 1 done recently and we done 2 runs with and without filters.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Getting mine in the next few days. I can't wait. Fitted them to most of my previous cars. it saves a fortune.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts