GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Following EJH#25
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly I missed the Skyline Vs GTR event (gearbox issues :() but got to go and watch my son Karting at Hooton Park instead. (IAME Cadet)

Got a pleasant surprise of how much he's come on in the past couple of weeks whilst I was abroad, he gets some fantastic tuition from the team.

Not bad for a kid who's not eligible to race for another year yet; held his own in the main pack and did some half decent moves - can't wait to see what he'll be like when he does his ARKS.

The little rascal was flying:

Just sharing a proud dad moment :bowdown1:

·
Following EJH#25
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate, he absolutely loves it and the Energy Team have really brought him on this year.

·
Following EJH#25
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looking good.

Great fun aint it!!
It looks good fun but apart from stag do's, I've never driven a kart. lol
Main thing is he's enjoying it and progressing well.

My son races Senior rotax, thinking of going gearbox (KZ2) racing again as well. Miss my gearbox kart, best fun I have ever had for the cash.
I did try and explore karting in Aberdeen but none of them could accommodate us as he's too young. Any pics of the Rotax?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
As your on the subject of karting, my son and I have had many years of fun racing karts, our best days together weren't racing on big teams but weekends away racing just the two of us... We raced 48week-ends one year in cadets.

·
Following EJH#25
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You and your son raced Cadets at the same time Dan? Not sure I'm following you properly there as none of the tracks would allow that unless it was a private hire?

TBH, we really like being part of the Energy team, it has a great family feel.

·
Registered
989 Posts
It looks good fun but apart from stag do's, I've never driven a kart. lol
Main thing is he's enjoying it and progressing well.

I did try and explore karting in Aberdeen but none of them could accommodate us as he's too young. Any pics of the Rotax?
Only one pic on my PC. Doing a bit of tweaking, even the GTR in the back ground

We race at boyndie 5 mins from my house. Very handy. he needs to be 8 before he can race cadets. Pretty sure you can get on the track younger than that though.

Attachments

·
Following EJH#25
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He needs to be 8 before he can race cadets. Pretty sure you can get on the track younger than that though.
He's been in an unrestricted cadet Kart since he was 6 Dan, I was commenting more on how you managed to get on track with him as they wont mix kids and adults here; with the exception of private track hire and tuition.

He 'practices' with the Energy Corse SPR team:

Has his own Energy kart:

This is a feedback session with the 2015 formula Jedi champion:

Race tuition on track:

We mainly practice at Hooton Park or Three Sisters with occasional trips to GYG and Rowrah. PFI is a bit too technical for him yet, he needs more seat time and confidence before being let loose there lol :)

I find it really enjoyable watching him, it's very rewarding watching his confidence grow and his times getting quicker. He's not far off race pace and has another year practicing before he can do his ARKS and race.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
You and your son raced Cadets at the same time Dan? Not sure I'm following you properly there as none of the tracks would allow that unless it was a private hire?

TBH, we really like being part of the Energy team, it has a great family feel.
image.jpg

Misunderstanding sorry, what I mean, I run my son out of his own awning, lorry etc.. :flame:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Karting I feel more alive than in the gt-r. You feel the wind, you're close to the ground and it's a lot more involved in total.
Surely the kids have more fun than us gunky Nissan guys, this is pure life!

I might have to pick up karting again, the money/fun of a superkart is a lot better than a gt-r...

·
Following EJH#25
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what age did you get your child into karting? What is the minimum age allowed?
My son first drove an electric powered kart aged 22 months.
His first petrol kart was aged 5 when we took him to Manchester Daytona for Bambino Karting.

The issue with Bambino karting is that if a child is advanced at karting they quickly outgrow it. For example there are 2 mandatory lessons followed by group sessions of beginners, intermediates and advanced. We were told that each child on average would require 10-15 lessons minimum, at 1 lesson per week, in each category or in other words; it would be at least 30 weeks before being classed as average in the advanced class. My son was in the advanced session after just 6 weeks and broke the track record after 9 weeks, he went on to break the track record a further 8 times before we were advised to take him outdoor karting as he'd outgrown indoor karting and wasn't learning anything.

The advice we were given was to take him straight out of a Bambino kart and put him in his own Cadet kart and give him plenty of seat time before being eligible to race. He was a week past his 6th birthday when he did his testing with Energy Karts and will now practice with them until 2 weeks prior to his 8th birthday at which time he can take his ARKS test.

My advice to anyone with a child wanting to get into karting (and it was my son and his mother's decision, not mine) is to go to places like Daytona which are a good feeder me for outdoor karting (from an expense perspective) or go along to your local track and speak to some of the teams; all of them offered friendly advice but obviously, it can get very expensive.

·
Following EJH#25
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In all honesty, he hasn't got his driving skills from me Umar, I'm just an average driver with a performance car; Ethan's got more raw driving talent in his big toe than I have in my whole body! :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
thank you Matt J, for your input. My little boy is just over 3 years old.

In my old company, the boss son, go karts for Red Bull and they travel around UK and Europe. My old boss advice is to start them off very young.

Its true about expenses, you should see the invoices he has to pay :eek:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I meant was your both into speed.
He'll get into your shoes eventually and perhaps oneday drive the R33 he sees parked up in the drive/garage, which he currently just has a ride in giving you the thumbs up like the man from Del Monte.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts