GTR Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Doing quite a bit of testing during the half term with the team; over 200 laps at GYG on Tuesday to help build race stamina. Quite impressive (to me at least ;)) to see a 7yr old with the confidence to back the kart into the corners at high speed, not too far off Super One pace now and still a good 6 months off being able to race.

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
Matt, probably worth dropping a PM to a member on here called Chillyfly, his name is Derek, he is an ex karting champion, then went onto win the Dunlop Star of Tomorrow Formula Ford Championship and competed in F3. He then took a sabbatical for about 25 years whilst he did a proper job, he is a captain on Virgin Atlantic, but has been karting again for a couple of years just for fun. He has lots of contacts and would be a great support to help your son move on.

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Cheers Barry, Ethan is still too young to race in Cadet class even though he's been driving an Energy Storm chassis for a year now. I think the team's aim is to enter the MBKC, CKRC, CHKRC and possibly NKF Rookie championships with Ethan and his friend Charlie who are the same age. Both are showing very good pace and already challenging the top drivers even though there's a considerable age difference in some cases.

I guess it's a case of wait and see what the future holds when they start racing.

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ethan's first race in IndiKart...

As we're approaching being eligible to finally race in the MSA Cadet class, the team decided to run Ethan in a non-MSA IndiKart race to see how we're doing for pace and to learn some valuable race craft.

I'm not sure, as a parent, whether I was actually ready for the emotional roller-coaster that comes with your son's (or daughter's) first race! I think I experienced just about every different emotion you could imagine yesterday; it wasn't just the boy who was exhausted afterwards.

On Saturday, he was quick in practice but the 2 boys from Fusion were lightning quick! Having got some good pace going through the day, he managed to finally split their times and was second fastest in practice.

These boys are seriously quick and seen as one of the top teams in Cadet Karting!
Team - Fusion Motorsport

Qualifying didn't go exactly to plan as he hit traffic, literally! But he ended up qualifying 4th which he was happy with in his first ever attempt.

In to heat 1 and we soon realised there was an issue with his kart, (it has always been set up for a rolling start, not standing starts) so by the first corner he was in 12th position. A spirited drive and a lot of determined overtaking and he managed to recover back to 4th. He wasn't happy with the result but it was brilliant to watch the fight.

In to Heat 2 and still the issue with the standing starts and he dropped back again to 10th this time before driving his socks off and pulling back to 4th gaining quickly on 3rd.

So for his first ever final he sat 4th on the grid, 2 Fusion karts on the front row and 2 Energy karts on the second row. A poor start again by Ethan and he dropped to 6th by the first corner. A good first lap saw him pull back to 3rd but the Fusion boys were pushing each other and Ethan was in clean air behind. With nobody to push him he drove hard again to pull back the distance to second place from about 10 seconds down to 4 but the chequered flag came and he settled for 3rd place. He showed great pace again splitting the 2 Fusion boys on lap times but the damage had already been done at the start.

A great result and to be on the heels of the top team in the uk shows some good promise for the future...

Fusion 1 and 2 with Ethan 3rd in the IAME Cadet Class - all 3 boys are just 7 years old! (The other kids on the podium are the Honda winners).

It was quiet on the way home :chuckle:

I'll shut up about karting now! :cool:

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Quality result! F1 next?
Lol, I think the odds are definitely stacked against it!

We'll just do the club rounds at first, he's already been invited to test at NKF rounds but he has his own sights set on the Super One British Championship when he's old enough - he watches it all the time on YouTube bless him.

It's hard to explain to the boy that we've not got the funding like Fusion, I was talking to one of the guys at the track and one of the parents of the 2 boys who finished ahead of Ethan has just spent £70k on engines alone; most, if not all, of the competition can't compete with budgets like that.

·
Premium Member
5,916 Posts
Always the same in Motorsport, got talking to a chap on a yacht at Monaco that was spending 2mil a year funding his son in gp2 a few years ago... His sons name? Will Stevens.

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
1st year of competing at MSA British Championship level and Ethan finished 5th, 2019 Top Rookie and highest seeded driver for 2020. Not a bad result considering his age and the experienced drivers he was racing. Hopefully 2020 will be just as exciting to watch!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts