GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was using Kazaa today and the peak transfer rate went right up to a sustained 98.00kb/s!!
That was using a 56k modem!!
How can this be as I have never experienced this before and I thought that transfer rates cannot exceed the speed you connect at.

Explantions anyone?

Vincent

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yeah, its free P2P software, your lucky that it even works! You cant dowload above 5-5.5kbs with a 56k modem. 56kbs is kilo bits, and your looking at kilobytes when using kazaa, so with 8 bits and a parity bit thats 56/9 which equals 6.2 kilobytes per second

However if you look at the speed you connect at (about 45kbs usually) you realise you then have around 5kilobytes per second. This slower connection speed is due to poor line quality and busy servers etc

Anyway, Have Fun!

Rob

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob

That can't be right!

When it was at 98.00kb/s, I timed that it only took about 25secs to download 2mb!
My connection speed was 40667b/s.

Vincent

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you take into account the fact that compression with the new modems supporting V44 can be anything up to 6:1, then that rate is possible. In theory it should be possible to get a data rate of 288kbps.

What kind of file were you downloading? Plain text files tend to respond best to compression where as things such as zip files and mp3s don't as by their very nature they are already compressed.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yeah I agree with Simon, it depends on the file type etc, I was basing that on no compression available (which is mostly the case when transfering MP3's, which is what I use Kazaa mostly for)

Rob

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've heard that before.
Theoretical it seems to be possible under ideal circumstances.....
Someone explained it to me once but I can't remember.
Has to do something with the position of the seconds moon of Jupiter :)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Ive had crazy data rates before on my 56k modem, but only when retrving email,
and yep.. downloaded many megabyes in not too many minutes... only ever happend once... and when it did, I just backed off, and didnt touch the computer till it finished...
you guys could be right about it having something to do with file types as this happened when someone from work accidentally emiled the contents of a folder instead of just one word file....

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
For a pesky £14.99 a month NTL give you a permanent connection GAURANTEED 128k a second (optical connection) WITH modem rental!!!!!! Thats less than most unlimited ISP's alone! Ive just ordered one, Ill keep you informed :eek:

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts