GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas/tricks on how to reduce water temps without changing to an uprated radiator, which I probably will for next year but not yet? I've tried Water Wetter, no difference whatsoever. Having suffered badly at Silverstone a few weeks back (+110C), although is was one of the hottest days of the year, I'm keen to try anything which may have an effect. Will taking the thermostat out help...?

BTW, this is purely for the track as she runs fine on the road. Will be trying Motul 300V at Rockingham next week having always used Mobil 1 M/S, will report back if there any perceivable differences.

Ta.

Peter.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Temperature

Peter,

Never remove a thermostat, it will be worse, since the thermostat controls flow direction and without it less water will go through the rad.

Fitting a lower temperature thermostat may help slightly, but will not ultimately add to cooling capacity. A rad shroud might improve rad performance slightly.

You said the real answer yourself though, fit a bigger rad, the stock ones are incredibly thin (15mm -20mm or thereabouts).

Guy

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, guessed as much, thanks Guy. A lower temp stat won't help cooling once it's open will it.

Will have fit Steve's shroud he made for me which I never got round to fitting....

Anybody else know something we don't??

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Bonnet

Agreed, a bonnet with large cooling ducts to improve airflow though the engine bay will help.

However, its not possible to easily fit any decent sized ducts in the stock bonnet, due to the inner skin and re-inforcements.

The aftermarket bonnets are much more expensive than a bigger rad and less helpful.

In order I would rate the following for effectiveness:

1. Bigger radiator
2. Carbon vented bonnet
3. N1 Water Pump
4. Radiator shrouds
5. Lower Temperature thermostat

Or option 6 - all of the above!

Guy

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Here's another thought - install a Variable Fan Controller. The one on my R34 kicks the radiator fan into action at water temps above 74 degrees C and its adjustable. Seems to do the trick.

Cya O!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ditto Guy......

But add to that use distilled water and a good quality antifreeze, after many goes I found one American formula antifreeze that works for me and I’ll look up the name tonight and let you know the name to see if you can source it in the UK.

Paul.

PS Red Line water wetter only works with certain type of antifreeze.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hipogtr,

Is this a mod which you did or was it on the car? Presumably, you remove the viscous fan and mount an electrically operated one in it's place? May be easier for me to get an uprated rad by the sound of it but thanks all the same.

Paul,

I'd be interested, thanks.

Peter.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I think Dirk had a rad for sale..

The data with the Mines Rad shroud said a reduction of 3 degrees celcius from std.. no figures to state ambient temp etc..

I still haven't had anyone say they can actually get me carbon fibre with which to make the shrouds.

If you bring the shroud up to me I'll finish it off for you if you like..

cheers
Steve

·
Registered
404 Posts
Antifreeze

Peter,

The stuff that I've been using in all me motors for the past 5 years is Prestone 5/150 extended life.

They don't make any big claims but I noticed less over heating problems when I use it this may also be combined with just flushing the system and using distilled water with it.

Paul.

PS I use a 50/50 mix.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Water/Antifreeze

Use as little anti-freeze as you can, whilst its great to stop freezing (and contains corrision inhibitors), it has terrible themodynamic properties.

Glycol only has:

41% of the Thermal Conductivity of Water
24% of the Thermal Convection of Water
57% of the Heat Capacity of Water

You could try running pure water for a trackday only set-up and then adding anti-freeze once the event has finished.

Guy

·
Registered
720 Posts
Swirl pot

Try a swirl pot Peter, I've used them before on a Cosworth and it made quite a difference (always used to boil) . It swirls the water and leaks any air bubbles off back to the expansion tank. I've seen loads of bigh power cars in Japan running them.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jason, good idea. I remember reading about these somewhere recently, can't remember where though....?

Did you get the software yet? Last I heard, it still hadn't come into the UK.

Peter.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The RS Turbo swirl pots have the same diamater pipework and the angle of the pipes is close to whats needed to make them fit. Demon Twits sell them, worth thinking about anyway.

With any luck the software will be landing any-day. Will email you when I get it.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Peter, yes, I had the VFC mod done after I bought the car. It was actually part of a complete cooling system upgrade I did (eg. Thermo, rad, etc.) With the VFC (HKS or Billion make them), you wire it in to the existing radiator fan and then moderate when that fan becomes active by setting the desired temperature. Seems straightforward and the VFCs aren't terribly expensive (ie. about Yen 10,000).

Cya O!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Peter, have you checked your viscous coupling to make sure it still has enough "drive", you could also try taking your thermostat out and drilling a couple of holes around the outside of it to let more water pass through this should help.

Cord

·
Banned
349 Posts
I've got a big Nismo Rad and havn't really noticed any difference??

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Cord, how do I check the fan?

Jamie,

Just shows you're a bloody wuss who don't know how to drive hard... :D

Peter.

·
Banned
349 Posts
I havn't seen your handbag for a while peter!

Life in the old boy yet ehhhh?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts