GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i am a self certified car audio wizard but i have not got a clue what this is in the boot of my R33 GTR V-spec, is it standard and what does it do ?

I mean the Kenwood thing by the way !

Cheers guys !

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have the exact same in mine:D, assuming it's a kenwood amp, as my rear speakers are also kenwood, maybe a factory upgrade/option?
Ryan

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi everyone,

I recently purschased a black '95 R33 GTR from a GTROC member and whilst I have been a member of the forum for years (since I was 14 and Gran Turismo was launched!!) I am new to posting.

The car is absolutely mint but there are a couple of minor things that I would like to get sorted. The first thing is that I have found that the standard rear speakers are not working, and whilst im not looking for anything special in the sound deaprtment, I would like to get them working.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the speakers but I have spoken to a few people who believe that it is most likely that whoever fitted the aftermarket headunit did not wire it up to the 'kenwood thing' aka amp that runs the rears.

I've searched this and other forums but have not yet found anyone that has successfully wired up an aftermarket headunit to the amp and rears. I would like to try this route first (as I really want to keep the car as standard as possible) before sending my own wires from the headunit to the rears (although im not sure if they will work without the amp).

Has anyone encountered this before and successfully wired the headunit to the amp or will I be wasting my time? If anyone has a picture of the wires running to the amp and then onto the speakers that would be particularly useful as at the moment (without removing the rear seats or the rear metal plate (beneath the strut brace) I can see the wires going in as per the above picture but cannot see if wires come out of the rear?!

Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase :thumbsup:
Talk about thread bump with your post though :chuckle:

Sorry I can't help with photos but if it gets to the point where your pulling your hair out I'd recommend my friend Tony at Eclipse Audio. He operates a mobile service for car electrics & multimedia having worked on my R33 & now my R32. I won't bore you with the stories by check his website if you need to.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Standard Kenwood Rear Amp - R33

Cheers :thumbsup:

I suppose it was an almighty bump after 3 1/2 years! I have seen people shot down for failing to do a search so!

Thanks for the link. I'm determined to give it a go first but if I do run into trouble I will give your man a call.

I spoke to a guy at Halfords at lunch and he took a look at the loom and could see what he thought was a 12v on/off for the amp (light green with red stripe) and an earth (black) that was not connected. There is an unconnected 12v remote wire coming from the rear of the headunit (blue with white stripe) so he suggested that I attach that to the amp switch wire (light green with red stripe) and earth the black cable. I might give this a go but I do run the risk of sending 12v up a wire that may not definitely be the amp :(

If anyone else has suggestions I would be grateful.

Cheers again
Phil

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
One more piece of advice ... they don't call it HALFRAUDS for nothing :chuckle:

I "personally" wouldn't trust what someone who works there say!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Seemed like a decent enough chap but I don't take anything that these people say as gospel, especially when its free! I will investigate further (rear seat out) and see if the wires match up before I connect anything.

Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol, made me login for the first time in months, maybe about a year! I swapped out the headunit that was in and it just worked, all the carpets are still out of myn so ill see if i can you a pic or two so you can try and match the colours up with what you have in the dash. Sorry, heres a few more,,,,,,,for those of you now out of breath!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, just bypassed it. I'm guessing that's what everyone else did judging by the lack of answers I found. If anyone else finds this thread via google.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts