GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me out with the requirment for a kill switch on a track day car???

I know normal road cars don't require an external kill switch, but as mine is not a road car, does anyone know if there is a ruling to say it would need one? I intend to be able to go to both road car based track days, and for those that allow competition cars only.

And as for placement, I know most racing bodies prefer the kill switch to be mounted on the front windscreen panel, drivers side, but as my battery is in the boot, and so is my fuel pump relay, could I put it on the rear of the car (drivers side rear screen panel, with stickers, etc)??? Or even in the rear quarter window behind the B pillar???

Final question, does the switch just kill the battery feed (to eliminate potential shorts), or is it required to kill the engine too? I am thinking it would need to break either the alternator charge cable, or the ECU power, otherwise the alternator would happily supply the eleccy the engine needs to run even with batt disconnected.

Thanks!!!

3,665 Posts
If you use a later spec electrical cut out like a Cartek , it is fairly easy to fit and wire up , no need for any pull cables all done electrically.

CARTEK Battery Isolators

Just fitted one to Hockey Boys 32 , very nice external push button that cuts the earth and dumps the alternator voltage. Internal button does the same also tells you if the outside button has been pushed.

But your only need a cut out switch if you run under a MSA race series rules , never heard of trackdays making you have one, but if your going to General test days at race circuits i think you need to have a car that is to MSA rules.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant mate, thanks!!!!

That looks like just the thing I need.

Yes, I do try to stick to MSA rules, as you never know what I might be doing with the car later. Hee hee by the time it's finally finished it might be eligible for historic racing, lol

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
I am doing a test day soon and called up to check on regs.

Car needs to adhere to the race series regs you are entering, must have MSA licence and full MSA clothing...

Demon Tweeks also do some decent cut off switches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts