GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys..most of you know that I wanted the Twin HKS T04Z turbos...now that I have found a much better performing and cheaper turbo that is a dual ball bearing and has many many factory upgrades to it. I wanted you guys to tell me what you think about the twin turbo selection. :thumbsup:

Category: GT Series

GT Series Turbo 70mm
Item Number: GT70BB-Billet
Features:

GT70Billet Q-Trim, a billet compressor wheel with 4.5:1 pressure ratio and record setting performance. Ideal horsepower range is 540 –760 and max flow up to 840HP, it comes standard with .70 T4 Tangential turbine housing. See options below for other turbine A/R’s. Suitable options are: · Super Duplex, Dual Ballbearing · X-trim turbine wheel · Polished Compressor Housing This Innovative Ballbearing GT Series turbo features; · Dual Ceramic Ball Bearing System · ITS Big Shaft option for strength · ITS 10 bladed Turbine Wheel · Inconel for high EGT durability · Redline balancing · Highest mechanical and adiabatic efficiency available All components meet rigorous quality control, each turbo is assembled by experienced turbo technicians, taking the utmost care to ensure Innovative’s exacting tolerances are met. Innovative Turbo’s line of Ballbearing Turbos are the only BB Turbos that can be rebuilt and upgraded.

Turbo picture link
http://www.innovativeturbo.com/images/cart/products/GT61-lg.jpg

ALS, or Anti-Lag System, also known as bang-bang, is an engine management technique that minimizes turbo-lag.

Turbo systems can exhibit what is known as turbo-lag, which is the time needed for the turbocharger to gain enough speed for the compressor wheel to pressurize the intercooler, tubing and intake-system of an engine.

The amount of turbo-lag or time, depends on many factors such as rotating-group inertia, how well the componenets in the system work together, back-pressure before and after the turbo, engine (volumetric) efficiency, camshaft spec, etc. . In race cars it is common to fit relatively large turbochargers in order to produce enough airflow to provide desired engine output. Big turbochargers can display significant amounts of lag (on small displacement engines) due to their increased rotational inertia. The lag-issue, is partly dealt with by fitting a turbo with a Dual, Ceramic Ball Bearing System in the center section, such as the system produced by Innovative Turbo Systems. Another helpful addition is the bypass valve or dump valve, which operates during part-throttle or when the driver lifts. These valves will help reduce the load on the turbo and allows it to free-wheel, keeping the rotational speed higher – thus reducing turbo-lag. In race cars where immediate torque and engine response are critical factors, most applications can benefit from the use of anti-lag systems.

How ALS works:
The ignition timing is retarded with 25-30° or more and the air/fuel mixture is made richer at low throttle opening and low load. With the ignition timing delayed, the air/fuel mixture reaches the exhaust tubes mostly unburned and because the exhaust system’s temperature is higher than the flash point of the air/fuel mix, the unburned fuel explodes in the exhaust tubes. The turbo is accelerated by the increased temperature/pressure and the rotational speed of the turbo is kept high. While ALS is engaged, full boost is available the moment the throttle is opened.

Some downsides:
An immediate increase in exhaust gas temperature (800°C to 1100°C+) whenever the system is activated puts greater demand on all turbo-system components - reliability becomes a major concern; the turbocharger and exhaust-manifold tubing must be made with the best available materials, driving the cost higher. ALS is prohibited from use in certain racing series.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Remember tell me what you guys think

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Puhaha! I didn't get the name "KING NISMO" by mistake :chuckle:
So....what do you think? Do you think I should go for it?

"Turbo lag....is just a thing of the past...."

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
so....you'll be replacing your turbos every 3 months or so. sounds good so long as the fun lasts :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I plan on having the best thermal protection so heat won't be a problem whatsoever. Innovative turbos are the latest in turbocharger technology...I want 2 of those turbos but as soon as I contact Innovative they will select what is best for the project. Besides....Innovative has many in house thermal protection that can be applied like the "Super Duplex" which futher increase bearing life. So innovative turbos are a in with the build just not specific to which turbo will be used just yet. I love HKS turbos to death but everytime you hear about a GT-R it is always HKS turbos...and to me that is getting a little boring. I want to stand out and be unique about this one. Twin innovatives really haven't been attempted so it should be far more interesting to see the outcomes.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Why not go VVT? Why are you so keen to try something so 'insane'? Where do you live? How old are you? Is it half term where you are?

So many questions... :)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
ALS.... I am sure when I had a ST205 that you needed more than just advanced ignition timing for Anti Lag... I was sure you need a fuel rail for the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
*if* you manage to get heat under control with such an engine, I'd love to know how it got done. If.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
its an american turbo company that is the main reason why many people dont know about this company. There have been many many supras here in the US with these turbos and no a problem in any case so I am not worried. All I really want to know is what type of exhaust manifold I should get for this type of setup....if I can't buy one Innovative has already said they have experienced technicians and engineers to make just about any project come together. I plan to have HKS V-CAM in the future so there will be VVT. As far as controlling heat....we he JET-HOT 2000 that can take 2000+ degress F and I will use that for the exhaust manifolds plus have it wrapped and the exhaust housing will be thermal coated as well. I am having the internals Swain Tech coated so that it can handle nitrous spray after spray after spray even though I dont plan to have nitrous. It will decrease under hood heat plus add 2-5% extra horsepower and torque. Dual ball bearing...you just can't go wrong with that and they have extended products for the turbo to extended the turbo life for serious heat. it has a ceramic ball bearing instead of the stainless ball bearing.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Ah, so you're from the US.

V-CAM isn't the same as VVT as I understand it, although I wonder if V-CAM and VVT could be made to work together.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well all and all....does the twin turbo plan sound better than the Twin T04Zs I originally planned or not? Now I have to think of a new name for my license plate puha! "TWIN T04Z" in the license plate would scare off most of the competiton. Now I may thing of " TWIN 70DBB" for twin 70mm dual ball bearing...I dont know I will think of something. or "BLK GODZLA" since in the once the project is finished the car will be black with black Nismo LM GT4s. So I will have to think about that later.

·
Registered
303 Posts
got pics of ur gtr? also wouldnt mind seeing pics of how much of this project u've done

i think i'm with howsie on this one :wavey:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sure? lol it will be striped like it is being stolen fore lighter parts and anything that comes off is for sale if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You'll want an Inconel or 321 Stainless manifold for this and you'll be replacing your turbos often if you drive around with the system enabled. Look into HP Coatings for the manifold ... I'm happy with the job they did on mine.

I don't know much about GT-R ECU's but you need to be able to remap the ignition timing with a pile of retard (25+ degrees) and you want it selectable from the cockpit.

I have an Innovative turbo with a 321 SS header on a 4 cylinder Chevrolet using a TEC3 standalone. Unfortunately, I can't select multiple ignition maps from the driver's seat so no ALS for me.

p.s. I joined the site for the new GTR info ... keep it coming.

M.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I don't know much about GT-R ECU's but you need to be able to remap the ignition timing with a pile of retard (25+ degrees) and you want it selectable from the cockpit.

I have an Innovative turbo with a 321 SS header on a 4 cylinder Chevrolet using a TEC3 standalone. Unfortunately, I can't select multiple ignition maps from the driver's seat so no ALS for me.

M.
There's more to AL than that, you need an ECU that supports it.
It all happens automatically without needing to switch maps. It also needs more air with an aditional air valve, or throttle plate kicker.

King Nismo,
Would it not be better to buy a lower spec R34 to gut, sad to see it happen to a Nur.:sadwavey:
Enjoy how your car drives now, because it will be a dog to drive once you've done the upgrades, afterall, the fastest drag Skyline in the world only uses one T51R.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts