GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Not something normally seen around these parts ..

SIlver/Grey R33 GTR - Carbon Bonnet and nismo lip in Kirkby lonsdale today , at dinner time.

Anyone on here?

Cheers
Gord

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Hey Guys

Not something normally seen around these parts ..

SIlver/Grey R33 GTR - Carbon Bonnet and nismo lip in Kirkby lonsdale today , at dinner time.

Anyone on here?

Cheers
Gord
Not me.
But a beautiful part of the world.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure is ****... have to say its no the most practical area for a gtr though! And the touroid traffic is a nightmare...

Guessing from your profile your in Preston Andy? Casterton is a nice little village and the school is very good... if you continue on from casterton to sedbergh there is a cracking road.. well worth doing if its fine/clear.. Wev had some fun on there over the years.

Wonder who the mystery owner was...looked fairly youngish... not often i see them about..

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Gord - yep I'm from Preston but my daughters go to Lancaster Girls Grammar School hence hockey match at Casterton (4-1 to us!).

I'll have to try that road sometime. I have family in the North East and I'm always looking for new and exciting routes over the pennines to test my GTT on :D

Used to be a Kirby Lonsdale "touroid" when the kids were much younger - used to take them to watch the Father Xmas procession every year :eek: Well, at least I'd get a nice pub lunch out of it!

Cheers,

Andy

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah very good..

Yep its a really nice stretch... you can go casterton -> sedbergh -> alston -> penrith or cut onto the a66 before then.

Its good just got to watch traffic and bikers. If its the weekend

Yer Kirkby is a nice spot , iv grown up there and been at QES school. Tad boring when your in your teens but what can you do, the x mas procession becomes annoying after a couple of years lol..the whole town comes to a stand still!...live down in Ingleton atm..but just bought a House at Killington/Penrith... Your welcome to pop in for a brew if your ever up this way, once we get moved.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Sorry to interrupt, but I know the area quite well, and I can't place "Killington/Penrith".
The only Killington I know is near the services on the M6, which share the same name.
Please enlighten me, D.M.R.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Ian

Yes you are dead right to associate the Killington with the M6. If you take the Sedbergh junction of the M6 the road drops down off the motorway to Sedbergh , and Killington is a small village ( near the lake) between the junction and the town of Sedbergh. The new house is actually closer to Sedbergh than Killington.

Penrith is further up North up the M6. Its the largest town off the M6 before you reach carlise.

Have a look on multimap... may explain things a bit easier..

basically to put it simpler, Killington is 10 Miles up the valley from Kirkby Lonsdale and if you keep heading up the Valley youll eventually reach Penrith.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I know the village you mean (& Sedbergh).
I worked as general manager of the services there for eight years, so I know exactly where you mean.
Lovely little place. Hope you enjoy living there.
Sadman that I am, I can tell you the history of the Lake if you want.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Well........
Are you sitting comfortably; then I'll begin (that phrase is for the older readers amongst us)
It was built way back in 1799 as a header 'feed' for the Lancaster Canal which was finished in around 1802.
As there were no natural lakes in the immediate area, a "store" was required to keep the canal topped up, as obviously when locks are opened the water always flows downhill and has to be replaced.
The canal is now no longer navigable as it is severed by the M6 in at least 2 places, maybe 3 (I can't remember which).
Although some local enthusiasts have been attempting for some time to reopen it and link Kendal with the rest of the canal network, which as you probably know is vast.
I think the original idea behind the canal was to bring goods and wares upward to Kendal & surrounding areas, rather than transporting them south.
The lake is now used for watersports, but anything motorised is outlawed.
That's it really.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some very detailed info there Ian..nice one!

As you mention there has been alot of work/planning going into re-opening the canal. I know some 6th Form Students at QES where designing new sections as part of the redevelopment project

1 - 13 of 13 Posts