GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally gotten around to sitting down and starting this post so here goes...

I've been a fan of the Skyline GTRs for a long time and have never really had the opportunity to own one, I've previously gotten my speed fix with motorbikes and then sold all of my fun vehicles when I bought my first house and have basically had boring cars to commute in since about 2008. Fast forward about 8 years, a different house, a move and two kids later I started to look for a keeper.

Back over the summer I really began my search in earnest and went to view a couple of cars before deciding to go the fresh import route with Dave at The GTR Shop. One of the potential cars I looked at was pretty much exactly what I would have wanted my car to be like in its end state, but I felt that buying a car already done up took a lot of the fun out of what I want to do with the car.

I had only two requirements - The car had to be either KLO Silver or TH1 Blue, and straight body with no rust. I ended up purchasing a 1992 KLO R32 from Dave that is in amazing shape for a 24 year old car. There are very few imperfections in the body (which was my main goal) and clean/rust free underneath. The interior needs a little bit of love to suit my personal style so some things will be changing in there but overall it is a really great starting point with a few modifications.

Spec as imported:
- Blitz SUS intake pods
- HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust
- Hasemi front springs with stock dampers, rear GAB coilovers
- Defi guages for boost and water temp.
- Cross Mission upgrade
- Advan RGIIs in white

Additional Things I had done prior to delivery:
- Full service: Timing belt, drive belts, water pump, coolant, oil & filter, trans. fluid, front & rear diffs, plugs, rocker cover gaskets and half moon gaskets
- Had the underbody sealed as mentioned by Dave in this thread
- Fitted BM57 brake master cylinder
- Fitted Front R33 Brembos
- Fitted modified divided twin turbo pipe
- Fitted HICAS lockout kit
- Fitted OS Giken twin plate clutch

I picked up the car and drove it home with a huge smile on my face until about an hour and a half in. The car developed a fault where it would not go in to boost at all. I pulled in to the next services and checked for a loose boost pipe per Dave's counsel but did not find anything out of the ordinary. No smoke and the car drove fine the remainder of the trip. I got home and parked it safely in the garage and went to bed.

This next part is a testament to the service that Dave and the GTR shop provide - I spoke with Dave and Az the next day and as Dave would be down my way (3+ hours away) in a couple of days he came by my house to have a quick look see. Dave checked for loose boost pipes and had a quick test drive and determined that he wouldn't be able to resolve the issue on site and would have to get the car back to the shop. A week later Dave was out front of my house loading the car into the trailer to take the car back and sort it out. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Things coming in the near future:
- Nismo bushings in the stock suspension arms (being done while currently back at The GTR shop)
- 4 wheel alignment
- Sort out the interior bits I want changed/updated
- replace mismatched suspension with coilovers
- enjoy driving it

Medium to longer term plans:
- power upgrades

So if you are still reading to this point good on you, I'm glad to have finally jumped in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the car is back home from the GTR shop now. Dave dropped it off yesterday.

the verdict was a split boost pipe causing the no boost issue, while the car was away it also got some nismo bushings pressed in to the stock arms front and rear which really tightened things up. Also a wheel balance/laser alignment was done and a brand new dash vent to replace the broken original vent.

Most of the wobble in the steering wheel is gone now save for a few random moments that make me think there may be play in the kingpin bearings or possibly wheel bearings (they are 24 years old).

The interior needs some love. My next steps are to give the inside a thorough cleaning and replace some worn items including the japanese tape deck and speakers.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Looks lovely mate and quite a rare colour too :)

About the wheel wobble, if you can, borrow a set of wheels and try them before spending any money. I'd almost guarantee it's either wheels or tyres having been through similar problems myself and waste £££'s trying to find the problem. Welcome to borrow a set I have if you're near London :thumbsup:

What are your plans with it?

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Yes awesome colour, strangely not my first choice when I was looking for 32 but now I wouldn't want anything else.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks lovely mate and quite a rare colour too :)

About the wheel wobble, if you can, borrow a set of wheels and try them before spending any money. I'd almost guarantee it's either wheels or tyres having been through similar problems myself and waste £££'s trying to find the problem. Welcome to borrow a set I have if you're near London

What are your plans with it?
Thanks for the compliment, I'm well pleased with it for sure.

I think I'll swap the wheels front to back and see where that lands me. Az said the wheels balanced out fine there at the shop, but that doesn't mean I don't have one slightly oval tire or something of the like. The wobble isn't all the time which is confusing - only certain times and at various speeds.

Before I go randomly replacing parts, I may take you up on your offer to swap wheels and have a run. I'm in Oxfordshire so not too far from London.

Plans for the short term are to sort out the interior as that is where I spend most of my time with the car. New floor mats, deep clean of seats, new gaiters, shift knob, radio deck and anything else that I uncover whilst performing that list.

The suspension is also tired and floats a bit instead of promptly returning to where it started so a new set of coils will be on by spring as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes awesome colour, strangely not my first choice when I was looking for 32 but now I wouldn't want anything else.
Agreed. I wouldn't have it differently either.

I had narrowed it down to wanting either TH1 or KLO, I'm glad I ended up with silver.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Yes it makes it even more special that it's not a common colour, nice car by the way, I'll be following the thread to see how your car progresses although I'm keeping mine as standard as poss.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, I'm well pleased with it for sure.

I think I'll swap the wheels front to back and see where that lands me. Az said the wheels balanced out fine there at the shop, but that doesn't mean I don't have one slightly oval tire or something of the like. The wobble isn't all the time which is confusing - only certain times and at various speeds.

Before I go randomly replacing parts, I may take you up on your offer to swap wheels and have a run. I'm in Oxfordshire so not too far from London.

Plans for the short term are to sort out the interior as that is where I spend most of my time with the car. New floor mats, deep clean of seats, new gaiters, shift knob, radio deck and anything else that I uncover whilst performing that list.

The suspension is also tired and floats a bit instead of promptly returning to where it started so a new set of coils will be on by spring as well.
Nice.
If you want any advice always worth asking here as there's not much hat hasn't been tried and tested.
I've got the nismo mats and although the 32 is a bit 'special' it has heaps of character and the mats lift it a bit.
They're always a nice place to be :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Agreed. I wouldn't have it differently either.

I had narrowed it down to wanting either TH1 or KLO, I'm glad I ended up with silver.
I was in the same boat. It took me a long time but finally found what I was looking for in a TH1. Otherwise I was looking for KG1 (jet silver). You made a excellent choice.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
time for an update. Life has gotten in the way as i'm sure it does with most of you as well. work, wife and 2 small sons occupy most of my free time but I have acquired a few items and have been slowly getting around to fitting them as time permits.

over the winter I purchased a CTEK which helps to keep the battery up to snuff since the car spends most of its time in the garage. Solid investment as the car turns over strong every time I get in.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also bought some Nismo floormats to replace the terrible red ones that the owner in Japan had

These are really expensive for a few pieces of carpet with some edging sewn on

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
next on the interior upgrade list was to replace the terrible 90s terrific Razo pedal covers with brand new stock pedal covers.

This really turned out well. the original ones are still good, but have creases in them from the pedal covers so I wanted new ones instead.

pictures show how it all looked as it arrived from japan, replacing the pedal covers and finished state.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also acquired some MeisterR ZetaCRD coilovers to replace my worn out mis-matched suspension.

The old suspension had Hasemi springs on the standard struts and the rear were GAB coilovers. The rears were still fine, but the front struts were dead. These have really transformed the car and the steering wheel wobble I was having before is now gone :thumbsup:

while I was changing out the suspension - I also found that the passenger side drop link was missing a nut and hanging loose. I scrounged up a nut that will work until I can order and fit a new one.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 70 Posts