GTR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Since I've had my R33 GT-R V-spec I've had a kind of knocking noise coming from the front diff/gearbox. I only notice it in 1st & 2nd gear especially when changing down. It rises and falls with the speed of the car... I't sounds a bit like when you used to get a twig caught in your spokes on your bike but not as noisey..

I was wondering if it could have an uprated diff, do these tend to make klonking/knocking noises?

Any ideas on what could be causing it? Is it common?:rolleyes:

I've had the oil in both diffs and gearbox replaced too..

Thanks

·
Banned
466 Posts
Nismosis said:
Hello all,

Since I've had my R33 GT-R V-spec I've had a kind of knocking noise coming from the front diff/gearbox. I only notice it in 1st & 2nd gear especially when changing down. It rises and falls with the speed of the car... I't sounds a bit like when you used to get a twig caught in your spokes on your bike but not as noisey..

I was wondering if it could have an uprated diff, do these tend to make klonking/knocking noises?

Any ideas on what could be causing it? Is it common?:rolleyes:

I've had the oil in both diffs and gearbox replaced too..

Thanks
If the oil used during servicing was cheap, the diff will make minor groaning noises.
If the diff has been replaced and then not re-shimmed properly to the correct tollerances you will get a hollowing sound.

I suggest you pull the cover off and used a dial indicator to check for play.

Good luck!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the oil was done at Abbey so I'd like to think it's the good stuff... It was making this knocking sound way before I took it for the gear/diff oil change.. It's not really groaning more of a mild fast knocking in speed with the car.. Maybe it could be a CV joint on the way out.. Mmmm... I just wondered if anyone else has experienced a similar sound? I drives fine and does all the bits it's supposed to do.. I only notice the noise in 1st & 2nd gear..

Hey ho..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts