GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ppl, i'm looking at upgrading my radiator to a Koyo item and have found that there are two types: copper and aluminium.
The copper one is 3 row, and aluminum is 2 row and wide core. they are both the same price so what is the difference? and which one is better? i've looked around but found nothing.

thanks.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
I've been thinking the same for some time now.
I just cant seem to fathom out which one is better. It would appear that the copper one would hold more water but doesnt guarantee that it would be better than less water in an aluminium rad.

Anyone????????

TT

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Anyone shed any light on this??

TT

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
come on guys and girls, someone must know the answer to this! i still cant find the difference :confused:

·
Registered
123 Posts
well from a technical point of view copper is a much better conductor than ally so i would say that the copperone will give up the heat much faster as its able to move the heat from the water faster

·
Registered
249 Posts
This peaked my interest, so I poked around a little bit. If you could make identical radiators out of aluminum (or aluminium :)) and brass (copper hasn't been used since the very early 1900's) the tradeoff is weight for cooling capability. The brass radiator would move about twice as much heat, but weight 2 or 3 times as much. That doesn't entirely answer the original question, but gets us started. It is not entirely clear to me why these two different designs are used to compesate for the differences in the two materials.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
In theory yes, copper conducts much better, but on the other hand, you normally need to paint copper, as it corrodes in a not so good manner for a rad. Relatively large furry corrosion.
Paint needs re-doing so more labour intensive over time, and if you don't the fins will fur up, thus destroying airflow.
Ally would be my choice, unless Koyo use some advanced corrosion treatment.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The Koyo aluminum radiator for GTR is a very good piece - as far as size it is about as thick as you can go and still fit the fan shroud and clear the AC lines. It seems to be at least 50% thicker than stock, if you need more than that you will probably lose the AC condenser in the process.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Fact koyo don't do radiators in their automotive business. They are chinese ones using the koyo brand.

There is a thread on this(gtoc) and about where they come from on the skylineonwers forum under same thread name.

If you look under google koyo radiator, You'll find a website selling them with no contact details on the website. Contacted koyo and they state that this is not their website and they are illegally using the brand name of koyo.

Still the ones you get are still good quaility.

I have a 50mm core one on my car which came from a chinese factory.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Fact koyo don't do radiators in their automotive business. They are chinese ones using the koyo brand.
You sure about this? Nengun offer a range of Koyo rads, different thickness and materials, doesn't strike me as something a cheap ****** knock off shop would bother with?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Quite sure as talked to koyo japan(JTEKT Corporation) and the director of koyo USA in becoming a supplier of these rads here in the UK.

Koyo Radiator Aluminum. Koyo Aluminum Racing Radiators.

Have a look at the website above and see if you can find the contact details, If you can find them.

They weren't happy about thier name being used.

If you go on google and list the koyo brands you'll see that radiators is not part of thier business. Email them and find out.

I think if they were making them, Then why haven't any of the major tuners become one of thier agents?????? They are quick on becoming one when something new comes out on the skyline market.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
interesting... i guess im not too bothered about the brand name as long as its good quality and does the job well.

also im probably leaning towards the alu one as i still cant figure out which is better other than aluminum looks better! good info guys.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not true. Koyo is a big mfg for OEM and aftermarket. I don't know where you got your information, but it is not correct.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Not true. Koyo is a big mfg for OEM and aftermarket. I don't know where you got your information, but it is not correct.

They do do automotive parts for cars and loads of them. They don't do the radiator parts.

And fact, My info comes from the company it'self, READ THE FULL THREAD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts