GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interested on the comments on this one. There's a lot of alarm bells going off on this one.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Why?

It was supposedly a mint example of a historically relevant car being exposed to people that were spending up in to the 20s of millions.

This doesn't make ever KPGC10 worth 220K it means there are people who recognised its significance. Still. It may puch values of the car up, if you can even get a current curator to part with theirs. Japan owners are very reluctant to part with them unfortunately.

·
Registered
856 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why?

It was supposedly a mint example of a historically relevant car being exposed to people that were spending up in to the 20s of millions.

Thats not what I heard from people who inspect the cars for some people who are buying other lots. Just wanted to see what PSB said.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Japan owners are very reluctant to part with them unfortunately.
The days of finding something in the Junk yard like I did mine are over. Happy enough the person I sold mine to is doing a full restoration and shipping it back to Japan.

It all depend where your looking for one and before this auction any KPGC10 or 110s were selling for $100,000+ to start with.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Thats not what I heard from people who inspect the cars for some people who are buying other lots. Just wanted to see what PSB said.

Heard the same, only recently, before that all I had was what other people were speculating. The 100k mark has been a base line for awhile but again depends what you find and where you find it. As was pointed out to me today, if the people who bought this knew what they were buying they could have flown to Japan and with a bit of research bought a better example for 100k less

So why this car for this price. Other than "Because I can" which is one way to look at things, but I hope these cars stay within reasonable reach :/

Time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Alan, do you have some sort of "spider" search engine constantly running looking for the term "KPGC*" ;) Im just amazed how quickly you pickup on these threads!

On serious note, it is rather good having someone around that really knows about these cars.......... hope your 2 are going well!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Took these shots at Santa Pod recently - can anyone tell me what I was looking at? real fake otherwise? It looked un restored and no idea who it belonged to or what it was doing parked outside Fuellers bar... Forgive me if it's yours and I should know better..but I did love it!

·
Registered
856 Posts
"Fake" is not the right word. It's a 'replica' or - probably more correctly - a 'GT-R lookalike'. Roughly correct in outside looks, but not in full trim detail and nothing like a real GT-R mechanically.

It's a KGC10 chassis coded Skyline GT or GT-X 'Hard Top'. It would originally have been fitted with an SOHC 12v L20A straight six, with either single carb (GT) or twin Hitachi 'SU' type carbs (GT-X).

If it was a real KPGC10 chassis coded GT-R it would have had the DOHC 24v S20 engine with triple 40PHH Mikuni-Solex side-draught carbs, electronic ignition, 5-speed O/D trans and 4.44 ratio R192 diff with plate type LSD. It would also have had faster steering ratio and a 100 litre fuel tank, and a myriad other trim and brightwork differences. The 'shell too was quite different, and the most noticeable thing about that was the different (cutaway) rear quarters and rear overfenders.

Basically the GT-R is a completely different animal from the GT and the GT-X. Think Mk.I Cortina GT and (early) A-framed Lotus Cortina. Easy to make the GT look like a Lotus Cortina, but the real LC is a different thing altogether.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took these shots at Santa Pod recently - can anyone tell me what I was looking at? real fake otherwise? It looked un restored and no idea who it belonged to or what it was doing parked outside Fuellers bar... Forgive me if it's yours and I should know better..but I did love it!

Comes down the the body #, these cars can be easily faked and also a big warning make sure you do your fact checking before buying. I know of an incident and I will not go into detail who but a car was sold from Japan and it was fake had an S20 DOHC motor in it all of the bits the vin/body # came back to a non KPGC10 and it was a KGC10

so do all of your fact checking before buying.

also PSB can you check your private message please I need to know if this was the last R32 to come off the Assembly line in japan.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
^ Blah blah blah

It will be a really sad day when the only way to get a GT-R will be to either mortgage your home, or its left to those who don't care what they are getting.

Similar cars have come across while I was looking for half the price, why would someone spend 200+ if the exact same car was able to be had for half the damn price. This is buying for buying sake, its annoying what these auctions do, the same thing happened to mustangs, and has ended up pricing them so high, people who would actually be able to afford and enjoy the cars are now left to only dream about it.

Ive coveted the C10 and C110 GT-Rs for years, but if this is the trend, I can't see myself dropping 500 grand on them. Sad, I guess people who are in the trade will enjoy this, and people who own them and do not curate them to pass down to a family member or the like.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the 4dr sold for $88,000usd and keep in mind 10% each buyer and seller + shipping the car to RM auction. :popcorn: someone took a bath on that one.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Seller of the PGC10 was the same dealer that did so well with the KPGC10 at the Bonhams Quail Lodge auction. Swings and roundabouts...

Same dealer has entered a PS30 at the upcoming Amelia Island auction, and is no doubt hoping for a good result.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts