GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whos fitted kumho ku15 tyres?

what do you think of them in the wet and dry, grip and braking ? they seem to be rated by tyre test as good dry, average wet, is that accurate?

what tyres did you have before?

and lastly, whats the wear rate like>?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have not used the Kumho Ecsta MX on my Skyline, but I did use them on my Mitsubishi Eclipse for auto-x and daily driving when I was in Hawaii. The MX is one of the two standard tires for auto-x in the street tire classes, along with the Falken Azenis Sport RT-215/615.

Dry grip was excellent. Wet grip was good. Road noise was pretty high, and it just got louder as the tires aged. Tread life was not very good. I only got about 6-8000 miles off each set. But this did included monthly auto-x racing. Even with street driving only, they probably will only last about 10,000 miles or so.

I replaced the MX with a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 when I moved over here to England. I would say the MX was slightly better in the dry, but worse in the wet. And the Eagle F1's will probably last three times as long. I don't know how the MX will be in colder/near freezing weather. Obviously, I didn't see much of that in Hawaii. But in auto-x, the MX does better in hot weather and the RT-215 did better in cooler weather.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
i use ku-15 tyres and they are much better than the ecsta sports IMO....
good grip in the dry and wet, low road noise and seem to wear around the same as bridgestones etc... not the best for track use but as road tyres they are quite good

nice price as well - which i need because i go through all 4 tyres in around 2 months (that is not because they wear fast but because of my sideways driving style and 600bhp :) )

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
KU-15's are fitted to my R32 and work extremely well. Helped of course by the Tein suspension..........

Good tyre, recommended.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I'm running Ecsta SPTs. Very good in the wet, grippy, maybe not quite as good as the Yoko Advan Neovas I had previously, but at least 90% as good. Quiet, better ride, and presumably they should last longer than the MX. So far I'm pretty happy - I don't think I lost anything compared with the Neovas (and have better rain confidence), and the tires are quieter and smoother riding. Not that my car is quiet or smooth to begin with, but every little bit helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts