GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my car yesterday and want to give it a good clean and polish today .

Have read the safe washing guide.

The car has lots of light scratches from previous car washes it looks like ,

What can I use that's good to remove these by hand .

Any help apprecaited as I'm about to go to halfords

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If by hand, could try Dodo Juice Lime Prime :thumbsup:

Managed to remove a light scratch put on mine by a cyclist

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I'd get a detailer to give it a good going over and then Just try and stay on top of on it with the usual safe washing ( snow foam, wash mitt, 2 buckets plus grit guards etc)

Unfortunately kuro black is gonna get swirled up really easily. Should have bought a white one! They're faster too you know ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Are these the kind of scratches and swirling you have? (Ignore the 2 dots, they are dust inside my iphone camera lense)

Before:

I would use a machine polisher. Then with a heavy cut pad use meguiars #105 or similar and then a soft pad with meguiars #205 or similar. I would recommend getting some paint depth measurements if your planning on heavy polishing/cutting.

After:

JB

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes mate same sort of thing all over the car. Any local to me fancies doing it for a good little earner

QUOTE=jb1;3022217]Are these the kind of scratches and swirling you have? (Ignore the 2 dots, they are dust inside my iphone camera lense)

Before:

I would use a machine polisher. Then with a heavy cut pad use meguiars #105 or similar and then a soft pad with meguiars #205 or similar. I would recommend getting some paint depth measurements if your planning on heavy polishing/cutting.

After:

JB[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I'm quite interested in the importance of measuring the paint / top coat thickness before cutting. From what I have read the thought of the heavy pad and then the meg 205 / 105 (whichever is the most abrasive) would be too aggressive for the R35.

Euro, what puts you off using the polisher yourself ? I seem to recall you buying a silverline kit from fleabay. How is it?

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did but never really had the time or patience to practice on it properly , and I don't really want to use the 35 as a guinea pig lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm quite interested in the importance of measuring the paint / top coat thickness before cutting. From what I have read the thought of the heavy pad and then the meg 205 / 105 (whichever is the most abrasive) would be too aggressive for the R35.
Ideally you would want to know its thickness to know how much you have to play with as it could have been machine polished in the past. I would start with the least abrasive (205) to see where you are in terms of removing the scratches. A friend has a kruro black 370z which I took some readings on. The bonnet was 90 microns which I wouldn't want to machine polish as it's very low. You would want something like 120+ microns.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Thanks JB. I saw a post where someone detailed a car and spent time measuring every panel thickness and it certainly makes sense particularly with the GT-R paint.

Euro - I always intended to practice machine polishing a car in the following order:

1) Company car
2) Mrs car
3) Any other fool that would let me have a go
4) The GT-R, provided that by car 3 I was getting consistent results.

Surely you could do a similar thing using one of those old skylines you sell? :chuckle: :D

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks JB. I saw a post where someone detailed a car and spent time measuring every panel thickness and it certainly makes sense particularly with the GT-R paint.

Euro - I always intended to practice machine polishing a car in the following order:

1) Company car
2) Mrs car
3) Any other fool that would let me have a go
4) The GT-R, provided that by car 3 I was getting consistent results.

Surely you could do a similar thing using one of those old skylines you sell? :chuckle: :D

Haha i can practise on my Mrs car when I get the tome mate , will give it a go sometimes, just want to give the 35 to a pro and get the job done the best it can be rather than cowboy it lol

·
Registered
644 Posts
Haha i can practise on my Mrs car when I get the tome mate , will give it a go sometimes, just want to give the 35 to a pro and get the job done the best it can be rather than cowboy it lol
Definitely recommend you getting it polished and detailed properly from a professional detailer :) Also get it protected with a sealant or wax..

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Provided you're not completely ham fisted, give it a go, it's not rocket science, it's only a car :) If it all goes tits up you can probably get a panel resprayed for far less the what the professional detail would have cost.

Start with an easy small panel, build up confidence, I bet it will look great.

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Provided you're not completely ham fisted, give it a go, it's not rocket science, it's only a car :) If it all goes tits up you can probably get a panel resprayed for far less the what the professional detail would have cost.

Start with an easy small panel, build up confidence, I bet it will look great.

yes I will do mate , just not on the 35.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had the same thing with my10 one. I did it all my self, and maintained it. I've got a check list of what you need to do and with which product. Its straight foward enough, but will take some time. The results where good, to the point where Robbie from Valet Magic was impressed. Saying that maintaining it was a becoming a chore so got it wrapped by Robbie. Will be posting before and after pics. PM if you want that list, and if your local to me I might pop round and give you a hand.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Definitely recommend you getting it polished and detailed properly from a professional detailer :) Also get it protected with a sealant or wax..
+1 invest 300 - 400 on a correction detail and then keep it looking decent with proper washing methods.

My car turned up from the dealer brand new with 30 miles on the clock and the paint work looked as if it had been dried with sandpaper. I paid 350 to get it looking spot on!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've got a check list of what you need to do and with which product.
Ooooh, can I have that list from you please?

I used to do it in my youth but haven't machine polished a car in a while, but I did get a new polisher for my last birthday (after moaning about the scratches on the GTR) so I do plan on attacking the GTR but only after practicing in a similar method as above (old van, newer van, Mrs's car then the GTR).

I'm of the opinion that I don't see the point in paying someone several hundred pounds to do something I 'think' I can do myself... Do it a panel at a time - the backup is as mentioned above as well - respray!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts