GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know.... Is the L20 sump the same as a Rb series sump? asking as the L20 is a fore-runner to the Rb series and was used as its basis...

Its really the mounting bolts I'm looking at rather than the depth width etc...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Glenn, have a pic and well can't see all th ebolts to see if it lines up its a long shot really, but as I can't find a (cast) dry sump for the rb25 ( already using a Rips extended one but thats not the total cure).

But I have found a cast sump for the L20 engine, you can see my thinking.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Nissan L6 sumps are not interchangeable with RB sumps. If they were, all the people fitting RBs into older Nissan & Datsun models would save themselves a lot of time and money....

Be careful when you're searching for data on Nissan L-gata engines, as there were a lot of different versions made over a long period. Don't confuse the 4cylinders with the 6 cylinders ( 'L20' could mean both, and when the original L20 six - designed back in 1964/5 - was updated in the late Sixties and the 2 litre four was introduced, Nissan called them the L20A and L20B respectively ) and remember that both rear-sump and front-sump versions were made in the L20/L20A/L24/L26/L28 & their diesel variants. There were also some winged 'low profile' sumps in some models.

L-gata sixes were the inspiration for the new RB-series when it was being designed in the mid Eighties in that Shinichiro Sakurai and his team were building a new modular engine series that could be adapted with many variants, but about the only thing they share is their head bolt pattern.

·
Registered
834 Posts
How about just having your stock sump modified to suit dry sump? Plenty of places can do the work im sure!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts