GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I wondered if anyone on the list could tell me a bit more about turbo lag induced by longer intercooler pipework. I'm currently upgrading the cooling on my R32 GTSt and a GTR intercooler is next on the list.

I don't know if you lot know what the RB20DET plumbing is like, but it's a stupid arrangement. The throttle body sits on top of the engine towards the back, then a pipe going to the intercooler goes across the top of the engine and down into the n/s front bumper where a tiny I/C is located. Basically the hot and cold sides of the I/C are on the same side and all pipework is on the n/s lower front bumper.

With a GTR intercooler you have the hot on the n/s and the cold on the o/s (think I'm correct here!). I can't decide whether to have the cold side arranged so it has a hose doing a 180 and then a pipe going across the whole length of the I/C back into the factory pipework or put the pipe going up the o/s across the top of the radiator and then into the throttle body.

How will this affect my performance. Will the extra lengths of pipework really make a noticeable difference to the driveability of my car? Is it going to take signifiantly longer to get on boost? is it going to make my car less responsive?

Thanks in advance.

James

·
Registered
506 Posts
Intercooler pipework

James,

Good to see you're back on the forum after your computer troubles. I've got an R33 GTR intercooler + hard pipe kit in my wee car. I'll pop around tonight and show you the works if you want...Would have to be quick as I need to spend some time with the missus what with it being Valentines day and all that.

As far as discussion about lag go try out the folling link where there was quite an extensive chat on the subject:

Short and long of it all is that there is no noticeable lag with increase in intercooler size and pipework length.

HTH

StuIntercoolers & lag

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought

I didn't think it'd make much difference. Why is everyone so obsessed with lag? Where did all the worries come from?

Stu, not back in England until Monday. I'm in Holland at the moment. Fancy popping around on Monday night? I'll buy you a beer!

James

·
Registered
506 Posts
BEER!!!!!!!

James,

You're talking my language:D . Drop me a PM about time and I'll meet you the same place as last time and will bring the car this time....or I'll get the missuss to drop me off. At least taht way you can look at the setup.

See you Monday;)

Stu

1 - 4 of 4 Posts