GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

For all of you guys that run their GTRs on the circuit, do the GTR suffer from any kind of oil starvation problem with the stock oil pan during hard driving on the circuit?

I just spun a rod bearing on my Celica due to oil starvation, so I am very concern about this problem for my up and coming GTR.

I am looking for an aftermarket extra capacity oil pan with baffle plate build into it, so far I found one make by Trust, but it is only listed for the R32 and R33 GTRs, do you guys know if R32 and R33 GTR's oil pan is the same as the R34 GTR, as I will have a R34 GTR.

JUN auto mechanic offer an oil pan baffle plate, but it is just a plate that put into the stock oil pan, I like to be able to carry more oil then stock.

Any other aftermarket company make such product?

Is a large capacity oil pan with baffle plate enough to prevent oil starvation, or I really need to have a dry sump oil system?

Dino, what do people in Japan do? What do all the demo GTRs have?

Any advice is welcome.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge of GTR, I am a soon to be owner trying to learn all about this mighty beast.

Thank you very much.

Jeff

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Jeff, the Trust sump extension kit is the most used kit over here. There are a few others but basically they are all the same and retail at around 50,000Yen. Usually these are fitted to modified cars running bigger turbos, but since you will be modifing your Nur this would be a good idea. You already have better oil pump than a standrad RB, so if you fit the extension, plus say a Nismo baffle plate and the Mine's cam baffle plates you should be pretty much sorted out. Another good thing to fit, if you plan to drive often on circuits, is an oil catch tank...recirculating or venting is up to you...

You'll have to be carful once your sump is extended, especially if you lower your car....as Shin can tell you it can often touch the ground!:eek:

Hope this helps
:)

PS...dry sump lubrification would be very expensive to develop for a standrad RB. They use it in GT500 cars with a flat oil pan....

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Hey Jeff

Just to add to Dino's excellent summary...

The demo circuit cars in Japan all have the mods that Dino suggested (ie. no dry sump setup). However, you should budget a good chunk of cash for the oil pan operation. I was looking into this myself, and here in Japan with the cutting, rewelding and installation activities I've been quoted in excess of Y100,000 (without the cost of the baffle plates and oil pump). Not sure why as it doesn't seem like such an involved activity but then again I'm no expert.

Also, Trust do make their sump extension kit for the R34. Actually I believe its the same kit (includes oil pickup and extension piece only) on all year models.

Cya O!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Sump Extension

I have the Trust sump/baffle kit fitted to my R34, its really worth it for safety, as it gives extra oil capacity as well as reducing surge.

I thought about dry sump, but there are no kits and the only way to fabricate one would be to lose the a/c since you need a pulley to drive the pump and there is no space.

Guy

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Pump

Yes, uprated fuel pump (Nismo) and Oil Pump (Trust) and a list of other parts as long as my arm.

Guy

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the reply with excellent infos, now I have couple more specific questions:

The Trust sump extension kit, does it have a baffle plate build into it? Or is the baffle plate optional from Trust? Or would I have to get a baffle plate from NISMO or JUN to put into the Trust sump extension pan?

hipogtr.....you said Trust do make their sump extension kit for the R34, is the kit specifically for the R34 GTR? I just got a Trust catalog from Tokyo Auto Salon 2002 4 months ago, and the sump extension kit is only listed for the R32 and R33. Are they all the same kit so I just get one of the kit for the R32 or R33. Can you give me your input on this Guy? Since you have the Trust kit on your R34 GTR.

Sorry, I can't really ask Trust USA as they don't deal with GTR much, they would have no clue.

As Dino mention, the uprated oil pump and water pump that come with the N1 motor, do you guys have a spec for them, flow rate.....etc. I want to know if they are as good as those pumps offer by HKS/TRUST/JUN/NISMO.

I asked a good old American hot rod shop that build 5000 HP American drag racing Funny car about building a dry sump lubrication system for the RB26, they quoted me $3500 USD, that's a lot of money, I would just get the sump extension with baffle plate if that's enough protection. If all the demo cars uses it, I think is good enough for me :p

Thank you for all of your help.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi hipogtr

The demo circuit cars in Japan all have the mods that Dino suggested (ie. no dry sump setup). However, you should budget a good chunk of cash for the oil pan operation. I was looking into this myself, and here in Japan with the cutting, rewelding and installation activities I've been quoted in excess of Y100,000 (without the cost of the baffle plates and oil pump). Not sure why as it doesn't seem like such an involved activity but then again I'm no expert.

I am not quite sure what you are talking about here. Do you mean it would cost Y100,000 to custom make a sump extension pan? I thought the Trust kit is bolt on, why does it require cutting, rewelding?

I just didn't understand, please clarify.

Thank you :)

Jeff

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Trust Sump Extension

Jeff,

The Trust sump extension requires the base of the old sump to be removed (cut off) and the new extension welded on. It also features baffles and an extended pick-up pipe.

For all the advice you need contact Tim of SVS, he posts on this board as 'Tim at SVS' and his web-site is below:

www.specialvehicle.co.uk

He is the official UK importer for Trust parts. He has supplied the sump extension kit at least 10 times to UK owners and will know exactly anything you need to know about Trust parts. He is also a very nice helpful bloke to deal with.

Regards

Guy

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guy,

Thank you very much for your input, I will contact Tim at SVS for further details and price.

Take care,

Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts