GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that I can fit under 18"s on an R34 ???

I've got the opportunity to buy some Brembo Monobloc 6 pot calipers for the front and 4 pots for the rear and am going to need larger rotors to suit.

I want to make sure they will fit, but want as large as I can get away with. Don't want to go too near the limit as I'll have to bring them in from overseas and don't want them to turn up only to be 3 mm to big etc.

So any idea on what's a safe size ??? Make , price etc ???

Help much appreciated
Fraser

·
Registered
127 Posts
i think........

for the fronts, the max you can go with 18" wheel is 356mm.

i'm wondering myself what's the optimum rear disc diameter:confused:

by the way, wow! brembo 6 pot monobloc. how much is that? did you get them locally or do you have connections?:cool:

can we see a pic?

-tim-

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're coming out of Australia.

They're brand spankers from what I understand and they're off a Porsche GT2. They're branded Porsche apparently, but I don't care, they're also stamped with Brembo's logo too.

Only pics I have are Porsche ones, but gives you the idea.

Cheers
Fraser

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
BG Developments make a bigger AP kit for the 33/34 for 18/19 inch wheels. It can take up to a 372 rotor if Im not mistaken.

Abbey supply the kit from BG and Jamie M has it on his car. The six pot caliper has bigger bolt size, brackets and hubs than the stock 6 pot 356 kit (which I have).

..Ian

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So from what I can see here then, the max on my 18's is 356mm correct ????

Does anyone have any idea about the optimum for the rear if I go to 4 pots on the rear and 356mm and 6 pots on the front ???

Cheers
Fraser

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
No.......

No, 356 fit fit under stock 17's with a slight shimming of the caliper in places ..I had that set up until I bought my 18s . I could now fit the AP 6 pot 372mm kit if I wanted to start again. If you had 19s you could go even bigger although Im unaware of a bigger AP kit for the Skyline.

Would you like the Developments number?

..IS

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks very much for that :)

Any details would be cool.

Do they have a website??

Fraser

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Ian, they look like the guys !!

Great help, thankyou.

They'll probably be able to offer advice on the rear rotor size too.

Thanks again
Fraser

·
Registered
248 Posts
6 pots on the front and 4 on the rear, mental aren't you going to be over braking?

SJD

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To be honest I'm not sure.........I would assume that there is no reason why the brake bias can't be tuned to match factory bias settings.................

At the end of the day it is a very heavy car and on track days it needs to stop. Most of the tracks in NZ have long enough straights to get up a half descent head of steam, but most circuits here are very slow tight corners so there is alot of 200K+ down to 40K corners..........

Please let me know if anyones got direct experience with larger rotors, calipers etc as I don't want to make a big mistake as it's of course big money wasted too !!

I'm assuming though that since these calipers are off the Porsche GT2 and that's a similar weight, if not lighter than the GTR then it's probably not too OTT, but happy to hear from anyone with advice.

Cheers
Fraser

3,665 Posts
AP brake kits

Canman,
largest rotor size to fit under 18in R34 rims ,really depends on the outer radius of the calipers.Our large kit that uses 362mm discs are designed for the R34. These have to be brought though us as we did all the development. The standard AP kit to go under standard R33 wheels uses 343mm dia discs.
I would watch out on the rear brakes the N1 R34 uses a 20mm large rear discs and standard R34 size calipers , you will find that when using large front brakes and larger rear brakes the car will lock up rear wheels causing all sorts off problems.
What size are the pistons on the BREMBO monobloc calipers, if they are a lot bigger than the std calipers piston area you will require a larger master cylinder to move enough fluid to allow the calipers to work properly.
Hope this helps. I hope to be in Lower hutt ,wellington soon we will have to meet up. I will PM you to tell you the dates etc , may be able to help you with your mapping with your APEX-i power Fc.

Mark

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would be happy to meet with you when you come over mate. Do you have somewhere to stay organised ??? If not I've got a spare couple of rooms at my place. Just an offer.

Thanks for the info on the brakes........I'm trying to find some more info on these calipers, but the guys a little hard to get hold of.

Like I said they're ex Porsche GT2, I would have thought that they weren't a once off piece of kit and there probably a "listed" unit.

When I find some more info I'll get in touch.

I've got the N1 spec rotors already on the rear but even if I get the same size again I'll get the same make as the front.........just to keep it all together. I've got someone lined up to shift all my exisiting brakes on.

The other thing I was thinking about is the handbrake and what happens there if I do put larger rear brakes on !!

What sorta money is a larger master cylinder ???

Thanks for the advice guys
Fraser

1 - 14 of 14 Posts