GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I've got to do an eleventh hour "do or die" driveway replacement of my rear diff mounts.

I'm booked to leave for Spa on Friday and the car I was going to take has decided now's the time for an engine rebuild so the Skyline it is - great, only it needs diff bushes and Abbey's advice having seen the bushes is not take it without fixing them.

I've got a decent supply of tools, jacks and what have you but it's such a rush job I'd welcome any and all tips on what the process will be and tricks to make it go easier.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I think I've got everything undone, the diff is now supported by a jack.

The prop shaft seems unwilling to separate from the diff though, is there a trick to that?

Also I'm trying to figure out if you drop the diff with the ETS/ATTESA hydraulics attached - in which case do you just disconnect the soft hoses and lower it or is there something else you need to disconnect?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Alex I've got a subframe here with Nismo bushes fitted.
It's a bit shabby paint wise but you can use it if you want?
Getting the rear diff bushes out is such a pain in the ass.
Ideally you need to burn the old ones out, (rubber bits) then cut the outer metal shells without damaging the subframe. (Ideally its easier with the subframe out of the car).
You leave the attessa pump with the car. You need to unbolt it from on top of the rear diff. You also need to take the wheel speed sensors out of the diff as they're attached to the attessa system.
The prop to diff if you get a thin screwdriver and gently tap it in between the round cup of the diff and the prop it will come away. There is a cap on the end of the prop that's gold coloured, don't pry this as this stays with the prop.
Hope that all makes sense?
If not text me bud. 07970699470
;)
Bobster

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah that's brilliant thanks.

The bushes in the subframe are pretty knackered so i'm hoping i can chisel the centres out and then cut through the shells and smash them around a bit with a big hammer :)

To separate the prop, i think know the groove you mean, i tried to get a screwdriver in there but couldn't figure out what angle to work at.

The hydraulics, i can see the three bolts and the sensors, does it just hang there or do you need to support it?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Cool cool.
Yes it will hang as its supported by the hydraulic lines.
But once the diff it out cable tie it up so you don't put strain on the rubber hoses.
Oh and there will be some earth straps too you don't want to snap so be careful.
Do you still run hicas?
;)
Bobster

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Sweet!!! good luck buddy.
:D
bob

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just to wrap this up.

This isn't too bad a job with the right tools, but I don't recommend it in the dark and rain on a sloping drive :)

I used a atv/motorbike lift to drop the diff down and wiggle it back into position. The three bolts that attach the hydraulics to the top of the diff are a bit of a fiddle to get at but aren't tight.

The rear bushes in the subframe I removed by drilling out the rubber part enough to lever out the metal centres, the metal shell I cut through carefully with a small air saw and then chiseled out with a lump hammer.

The new bushes were fairly easy to press in with a little lube and a G clamp.

The front bushes really need a press to remove and refit and Abbey came to the rescue to help out with this.

The driftworks solid bushes do massively increase the road noise as well as the obvious diff whine and clonks from the transmission and backlash in the diff. Ear defenders on the motorway called for. The car does feel tighter though.

The front bushes seem to be about 3-4mm thicker than the factory bushes and the bracket that supports the front of the diff needs a little shimming to sit properly.

I may have messed up the earth straps or one or both of the wheel speed sensors as I think I have a new single flash of the abs light at start up. doesn't seem to effect the abs or attesa operation though. i'll plug in the consult cable when I get a chance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts